Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connectivity? How to setup this configuration?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   straymutt

straymutt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

I currently have a 3-LNB oval dish and a 4x2 multiswitch. Sats A & B are connected to their respective inputs on both output sides of the multiswitch. Sat C only has 1 wire coming off it and it's combined with the Sat B wire using a simple splitter/combiner on the Out1 side of the multiswitch. I have coax running off both Out1 and Out2 and going under the house. Only 1 of them comes into the house (the other is left under the house) and connects to my STB. I assume that must be Out1 since I get signal off Sat C and it's only hooked up to Out1 on the multiswitch?

I recently upgraded my old Sat520 box to an HR10-250 and only Tuner1 is hooked up of course. What I'd like to do is:

Connect the 2nd tuner on the HR10-250, and
Eventually put the old Sat520 on a 2nd TV in the den (currently only OTA)

Do I need a different multiswitch? How do I get Sat C on both (well eventually all three) outputs? What parts do I need and how do I connect it all up properly? I'm happy to read up on the procedure myself if someone knows of a good link.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

So you're saying your have a 4x2 multiswitch? 4 Inputs and 2 output?

Your dish should have 4 lines coming out of it. Run 2 to the HR10 and a third to your den and you should have 1 spare line. Not sure why you would need a multiswitch.

The 3LNB dish has a built in multiswitch so that all 3 SATs are available on all 4 outputs.

#3 OFFLINE   straymutt

straymutt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:53 PM

Yes - 4 in, 2 out. Since my initial post and a lot of net surfing, I've figured out a little more about what I've got. This description found at solidsignal.com of an older Phase II dish closely describes what I have:

This dish may have two or three LNBs. The SAT-C LNB may have been installed after initial installation, connected with a SAT-C combiner to SAT-B as in the Gain Master dish. Typically, a 4x4 multiswitch is used to combine either SAT-A and SAT-B or SAT-A, SAT-B, and SAT-C. From the 4x4 switch, a 4xn or 5xn multiswitch can be used to distribute to n receivers.

My Sat-C LNB was in fact installed later and combined with Sat-B as described. However, I don't have a 4x4 multiswitch, it's clearly a 4x2, only 2 outputs. It's a Channel Master 6902IFD.

So apparently yes I will need a different multiswitch to connect both HR10-250 tuners AND my old Sat520 in another room. The question is - which one is the right one?

I was looking at the Zinwell SAM-6802 which looked promising until I read at solidsignal.com that it's not recommended with the older Phase II dishes and instead I should use a 4x8 powered multiswitch, though it wasn't clear if that was just due to a cable run length issue (which may not be a problem for me). But I *really* don't want to have to run AC up to my dish!

Suggestions???

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

Ah, yes, I remember those. I had one of those way back when. Added the middle LNB on my own. As I recall it was a pain to cable.

I used an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ for my multiswitch. It is powered and I always recommend powered switches, just because. You don't want to place your switch out by the dish. Run the feeds from your dish to some place in your house and place the switch there. From that point you will run the 3 feeds to your receivers.

The power portion of the switch is low voltage and is fed through a coax cable. Plug the power converted into the wall and run a coax from the converter to the switch.

Now, again that was a few years back, but IIRC there is a trick to the placing of the feeds from the SAT to the switch. If you don't have the right feed going to the right input on the switch you will be missing one of the SATs on the output side. Hook the feeds up and bring the SAT signal meter up on your HR10. If you get all 3 SATs your correct. If you don't, try moving a couple of them around.

Anyone please correct me if I'm missing something here as my memory doesn't always work in these instances. But that's what I recall.

The LNB for SATC eventually died on my old dish and I ended up getting the newer Phase III integrated dish. Made life alot easier.

#5 OFFLINE   straymutt

straymutt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Thanks. So would I bypass the 6902 multiswitch (4 cable runs off the dish to inside the house?) or cascade the new one off the 6902? You say you recommend powered switches "just because". So if I wanted to just swap out the 6902 for a 6904 (pretty much same box just with 4 outputs), theoretically it could work? Or are there issues with multiple receivers that I'm missing? All this time I've only had 1 tuner/receiver on that multiswitch setup. Dunno why they even gave that to me at the time!

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

Yes, four SAT feeds to the switch. If you want to go with a 4x4 go ahead. But I doubt a 4x8 costs that much more and gives you plenty of room to grow.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...