Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco, CA HD Locals = CR*P?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hi all --

I've had the HD locals for the Bay Area since December, and not once have I had a good experience.

First, my setup:

Component out to TV & Stereo audio out to TV. (Can't use 5.1 system with new baby in house)

On the MPEG-2 network HD channels (Los Angeles feeds) everything is fine.

On the MPEG-4 channels, its a different story.

Channel 2 (KTVU) has terrible compression artifacting. Its so bad, you can see static objects shifting from across the room.

Channel 5 (KPIX) is generally good visually, but at least 3 nights a week, there is a gurgling sound present in the audio.

Channel 7 (KGO) Picture is fine, audio is always a bit out of sync.

Channel 11 (KNTV) same as channel 5, but audio gurgling is ALWAYS present. It sounds like the audio does a slight skipping every second or so.

Will Directv ever fix this stuff, or are they too busy trying to get as many HD markets online as they can?

Thanks for the input.

JT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cesart

cesart

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:59 PM

I agree with all that you are saying. I have complained countless times to D* about these issues, and they always act like they have never heard of any of these problems. The latest software upgrade did little to alleviate the problem, especially with KTVU which continues to be unwatchable. I doubt they will do anything while they are busy getting all these new market up and running. I just hope they fix these issues before the baseball season starts.

#3 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Here in NY mine isn't quite as bad as you're describing however I do see a difference between the MPEG 2 channel 82 (NBC HD) vs the MPEG 4 channel 4 (NBC HD). I checked it last weekend during a live basketball game on NBC in HD and I could definitely make out the pixelation in MPEG 4 during fast motion vs the much smoother MPEG 2 signal.

I'm happy I got the upgrade out of the way but I'm slightly concerned that we may be losing out on picture quality eventually. Time will tell.

#4 OFFLINE   rollingstone

rollingstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

Oh hi,

Yes I have complained too (in the SF Bay area) I don't even use the H20 now. I get all network feeds but Fox on th TIVO box. Fortunately, nothing I watch is on FOX...yet.

Another note, TNT HD seems to have the wrong scaling, not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't read all the recent threads yet.

-Glen

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:51 AM

rollingstone,

TNT HD "stretches" all programming that is not normally in 16:9 aspect ratio. The newer, truly HD programming (such as "The Closer" and most live sports programming, for example) appear in the correct 16:9 aspect ratio. Programs that are naturally 4:3 (including commercials) are all stretched to fit the entire screen.

Generally, there are mixed feelings about that. Some are of the mind that they want to see the programming fill the entire screen - period. Others (myself included) would much rather see the programming in it's original ratio - be it 16:9 or 4:3.

#6 OFFLINE   kaptron

kaptron

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I just got the 5 LNB dish installed (my HDTV is set to arrive this week) but as far as I am aware I don't receive any of the MPEG-2 HD channels (channels 80-90), which would be helpful because I have an HD TiVo box. What did you guys have to do to activate these channels? Does it cost extra?

Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

The HD package is a separate add-on package from Total Choice and costs, I believe, $9.99 a month. You could look at directv.com to see what channels are included.

#8 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

The HD package is $9.99 and includes:

ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Universal HD
TNT HD
Discovery HD Theater
HDNet
HDNet Movies

You also have access to:

HD PPV
Spice HD PPV
HBO HD if you have the HBO package
SHO HD if you have the SHO package

#9 OFFLINE   kaptron

kaptron

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

sorry, I should have clarified... here is my current setup:
-5-LNB dish with HD package + HBO
-local HD feed on channels 2-11 (MPEG-4)

-HR10-250 - HD Tivo (MPEG-2 only)
-H20 receiver

Off air signal was impossible in my location (due to hills and trees)... I could only barely get one or two channels, so I gave up on that.

So, my HD Tivo can record all the HD cable channels (HBO, TNT, ESPN, etc, channels 70-79) and my H20 can receive the local MPEG-4 HD channels... but I was wondering how people are getting the "local" LA or NY MPEG-2 HD feeds on channels 80-90, and if this would allow me to record NBC, CBS, etc. in HD on my Tivo? Currently my Tivo can only receive the locals on channels 2-11 in Standard, so I can't record any local shows in HD.

Does anyone else have a similar situation or know what I'm talking about? I don't know much about it, but I heard that it is a legal/FCC problem that would prevent me from getting the LA or NY HD feeds (because local HD is already offered in SF, albeit MPEG-4 only).

#10 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone else have a similar situation or know what I'm talking about? I don't know much about it, but I heard that it is a legal/FCC problem that would prevent me from getting the LA or NY HD feeds (because local HD is already offered in SF, albeit MPEG-4 only).

My situation is similar but I have not got the MPEG4 receiver or AT9 dish yet. I have HR10 and get the LA HD channels but I am grand fathered to receive those. Eventually they will force me to the MPEG4 channels, but since they don't have a MPEG4 DVR yet, it will be months or years. I don't think you will be able to get LA HD channels but it won't hurt to ask.

How good is the MPEG4 signal strength during the rain storms we've been having? I've been losing the LA HD channels during the storms since they are on the 119 sat and my dish needs realignment so my 119 signal is weak even on clear days. I'm hesitant to ask for a realignment service call because they might decide to take the LA HD channels away and force me to MPEG4. I have Comcast basic non-DVR HD box for SF local sports including FOXBA HD which is not available on D*.

#11 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

Off air signal was impossible in my location (due to hills and trees)... I could only barely get one or two channels, so I gave up on that.

So, my HD Tivo can record all the HD cable channels (HBO, TNT, ESPN, etc, channels 70-79) and my H20 can receive the local MPEG-4 HD channels... but I was wondering how people are getting the "local" LA or NY MPEG-2 HD feeds on channels 80-90, and if this would allow me to record NBC, CBS, etc. in HD on my Tivo? Currently my Tivo can only receive the locals on channels 2-11 in Standard, so I can't record any local shows in HD.

You have the exact same set up as I do. I have had my HR10-250 for awhile now and had applied for the network waivers before the HD locals were available. ABC and CBS approved them. Fox and NBC denied them. I live in San Rafael and they claimed Sacramento was my NBC affliate.:nono2: It should have been San Jose. Anyway, I can record CBS and ABC shows but have to watch NBC and Fox live.:mad: I don't think they are doing waivers any more in the cities they have HD locals in.

Bob

spam firewall