Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish corporate says wait on the 942 ??

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

Dish corporate has told Me to wait as there is talk of help to those of us that purchased them in the last 3 months using Feb 1 as a start date. I don't want to wait because personal circumstances dictate that my old bones are to stay on this couch for the next 5 weeks. It would be nice if they could figure it out sooner rather then making us wait because of the old supply and demand delima (excuse). This surprises me with Dish as they have been in years gone by very good to old loyal customers. Not this time so ????

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Thor263

Thor263

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

Dish corporate has told Me to wait as there is talk of help to those of us that purchased them in the last 3 months using Feb 1 as a start date. I don't want to wait because personal circumstances dictate that my old bones are to stay on this couch for the next 5 weeks. It would be nice if they could figure it out sooner rather then making us wait because of the old supply and demand delima (excuse). This surprises me with Dish as they have been in years gone by very good to old loyal customers. Not this time so ????

Boy, this would be really nice if it is true...but I'm not going to hold my breath either...

#3 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

I'm wondering myself, but it's also hard to stay loyal to a company that treats me this way after all these years. They wouldn't let me lease a hd/dvr then I buy one at full retail $600+ and 2 months later it's old equipment and the new costomer is offered a better deal. I hate to say it but it may be time to look at tvo,cable, or ?

#4 OFFLINE   bcnvc

bcnvc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

If they help one they should help all 942 users I have had mine for 5 months.
Bill
Thanks
Bill
942 DVR,42 Plasma HD Viore,Sony STR-D1011,Sony CPD-CX230,RCA DVD,Quasar VHS,Fisher XP 7, Bose & DCM Speakers, Dual 1219 that still works

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

The concept of helping the new member and not the existing one is common. Just look at the cell phone companies......

#6 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

I can certainly understand the concept of companies getting new customers but this time they've just pushed to far. They say they don't make any money on equipment and that may be so but only because we the current customer base pay for the new customers equipment when we upgrade ours. Personally I've spent over 2 k in the past 7+ years in equipment only. I need to figure exactly how long I've been with them. My problem is unless things have changed the cable service in my area is not near as clear as satellite.
It certainly wouldn't matter to e* if I cancel my service with them but I learned a long time ago not to hurt myself when I get mad at one of these big companies because bottom line they don't care. If by chance the guys at the top do care they'll never hear of my situation which I also understand but it still bites to be taken advantage of so blatantly by a company I've been with for so long. By the time I figure equipment costs and the hassle (hours on the phone with techs) especially this last time with this 942 it would be far cheaper to go with cable but if the picture is poor why did I just buy a new 34" Sony xbr. Truth be told I've actually been very pleased with e* for all these years but this situation is very different.

As for cell phone companies I guess I've been lucky. I've been with Alltel for 15 years now and they have always been more then fair and with 5 children mostly grown and gone now I've had more then a few problems with phones and overages. They like all big companies have their share of less then competent employees but I've also learned when I get one of them to just call back.

#7 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

Ken,

I would sell your 942 and lease a 622 for $299 including installation. You will come out ahead and have the newest equipment. I am sorry this happened to you, but it's simply a matter of bad timing. If you had gotten your 942 a year ago, used it for a year, then it would not have seemed like such a harse deal.

Jon

#8 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

Jon,

Are you with E* ?

Ken

#9 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

No sir, I am in no way connected with Echostar. I really do feel for you. I also purchased a 942 about 6 months ago and I am in the same boat as you. I am going to wait a bit for the 622 to get up to speed and then sell my 942 and lease a 622.

Jon

#10 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

No sir, I am in no way connected with Echostar. I really do feel for you. I also purchased a 942 about 6 months ago and I am in the same boat as you. I am going to wait a bit for the 622 to get up to speed and then sell my 942 and lease a 622.

Jon

Well, that time is drawing near.:)

#11 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

I spoke to a supervisor at ert yesterday 3/6/06 and while they did give me some concessions including a new 942 ("if they can find one"). She said she had no info on what I was told regarding a possible deal to those who had purchased their 942's in the last 90 days from 2/1/06. I gave her the ert's name and id that had given me this info on 2/16/06 but it would appear that it's still a wait and see situation. Personally my feeling now is that there will be no such deal.

#12 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

I just bought a 942 last night. I've decided against the 622 and will re-evaluate in a year or so.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#13 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

At what price? Also do you plan to use it for hd content?

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
dish© 9+yrs

#14 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

I just bought a 942 last night. I've decided against the 622 and will re-evaluate in a year or so.

Same here. Just bought it about 2 weeks ago. Loving it so far... I did not see great advantage in getting 622 since both are similar hardware aside from MPEG4. I'm happy with my current HD channels so far no compliant.

#15 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

At what price? Also do you plan to use it for hd content?

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
dish© 9+yrs

I currently subscribe to the old $10/month HD package so I'll be grandfathered in. But honestly, since I almost never watch those channels, I may just cancel them and use it for OTA HDTV only.

#16 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

OTA hd is not available in my area and if it was my new hdtv has a tuner so I've canceled my hd programing for that very reason, well that and my 942 doesn't work. I'm using one of my old 510's and e* is installing my Voom dish tomorrow. Go figure? I tried to use both my 510's but one of them still in the bag (a refurb) I'd never activated didn't work when we tried to connect it so e* has RA'd it also. What a mess 4 k $ later.
This is a large portion of my gripe. I honestly bought my 942 on 11/25/05 for $644.14 without even looking at the available programing. I knew there was the discovery channel + 4 more ?'s and a Voom package available and I ordered them all. I've waited from day one for a hd/dvr receiver to go with my hdtv. Tv's now, and I bought the 942 for current and FUTURE hd content. I also made a substantial investment in a new Sony XBR hdtv and a Sony audio system+ to go with the 942.

I looked at the Voom content for the first time last night just to see what we the mpeg 2 owners are now limited to and it looks ok but I'm still not pleased with the the idea of being locked out of future hd content, with the 942.
Have you looked at the Voom line up? If they'll let you get it? Policy says not after Feb 1st.
I agree without it the content on the 5 hd channels isn't worth it and obviously now we're talking about monthly costs not the up front costs of equipment.

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
Sony 34" XBR
Sony STR-DE898+
Dish© 9+yrs

#17 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

I looked at the Voom content for the first time last night just to see what we the mpeg 2 owners are now limited to and it looks ok but I'm still not pleased with the the idea of being locked out of future hd content, with the 942.
Have you looked at the Voom line up? If they'll let you get it? Policy says not after Feb 1st.
I agree without it the content on the 5 hd channels isn't worth it and obviously now we're talking about monthly costs not the up front costs of equipment.

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
Sony 34" XBR
Sony STR-DE898+
Dish© 9+yrs

Yes, I have looked at all the current HD offerings and I don't find any of them all that interesting - certainly not enough to increase my monthly bill by $20. I got my 942 off ebay last night for $450 (it's a brand new unit) and I'll have to be happy with that until someone comes up with some HD sat programming I'm interested in.

#18 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

Yes, I have looked at all the current HD offerings and I don't find any of them all that interesting - certainly not enough to increase my monthly bill by $20. I got my 942 off ebay last night for $450 (it's a brand new unit) and I'll have to be happy with that until someone comes up with some HD sat programming I'm interested in.

For myself I just bought a new hdtv and the reception is exceptional. If I hadn't just bought it I would probably feel the same.
5th dish
Dish© 9+yrs
Sony KD-34XBR960

#19 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

For myself I just bought a new hdtv and the reception is exceptional. If I hadn't just bought it I would probably feel the same.

WOW Ken 48 posts in 10 days!!!:eek2:
Where do you find the time?:confused:

#20 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

I'm home on medical leave and will be until the first of April.

The Dish guy showed up early to install my 61.5 dish but wasn't authorized to install the dp44? switch. They want me to pay for the $200 switch. Sounds right in line with my other recent experences with Dish. The ert supervisor that offered this solution isn't in now, imagine that.
Hurry up and wait for another problem, not like I have anything better to do then deal with all this crap after having spent 4k and planning this time from last Nov.
5th dish
Dish© 9+yrs
Sony KD-34XBR960

Protected By... spam firewall...And...