Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv 9

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

With all of the hoopla surrounding Spaceway 1 & 2, as well as the much discussed launches of DIRECTV10 (scheduled for Q1 2007) and DIRECTV11 (scheduled for Q2 in 2007), I really haven't seen anything on DIRECTV9 (scheduled for launch July 2006) - these launch dates are all taken from last weeks D* investor webcast. ALso, the documents released during the webcast show that D9 is going to join DIRECTV1R, DIRECTV4S, and DIRECTV7s at 101 degrees - not replace any of them.

the following excerpt about DIRECTV9 is taken from the Loral website:

"DIRECTV 9S, scheduled for delivery in the late second quarter of 2005, is designed to operate from orbital locations at 101 degrees West longitude or 119 degrees West longitude. As a back-up for DIRECTV's 4S and 7S satellites, it will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams."

Seems like there is going to be mucho bandwidth capacity shortly - wonder why no one seems to be talking much about this bird and what it will bring. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

I have had DirecTV for over 10++ years now and there are not many more channels now then there were way back then really except the locals and some RSN's.

They keep sending up satellites and all they add is nitch programming, foreign packages that only a very small percentage can use, special business channels and other noncense that no one cares about.

It only makes them look good in print and does little for the end user.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:16 AM

I have had DirecTV for over 10++ years now and there are not many more channels now then there were way back then really except the locals and some RSN's.

They keep sending up satellites and all they add is nitch programming, foreign packages that only a very small percentage can use, special business channels and other noncense that no one cares about.

It only makes them look good in print and does little for the end user.

But those channels do a lot for the bottom line. The new satellites also add reliability to the system their performance should be better than the older birds.:)

#4 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

I opened this thread to see if I can get info or discussion on D9S - please limit discussion to the topic. There are plenty of other threads to complain about other issues in. Matter of fact it looks like people love to turn threads into complaint departments.

If I was so unhappy with my provider I would leave.

#5 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

As a back-up for DIRECTV's 4S and 7S satellites

That might be the reason why no one made a big deal about it. From that description it sounds like it will just be a backup in case one the satellites fail, and won't be providing us new programming.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

Is this a Ka or a Ku band satellite (or both)?

DirecTV is parking and using Ka and Ku at the same orbital position, because the difference in frequency allows that to work (they don't interfere with each other).

As to all the additional capacity - it is being used to provide the local station feeds. That is no small undertaking.

So this might be an in-orbit backup (although they usually park those someplace else until needed), or it might be new capacity for MPEG4 and local hi-def.

Carl

#7 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

That might be the reason why no one made a big deal about it. From that description it sounds like it will just be a backup in case one the satellites fail, and won't be providing us new programming.

That's what they said when D* commissioned Loral to build the bird - but in the 3 years since then mucho has changed - I can't totaly believe that they will spend all this money right now just as a back up, but it is of course possible. I am looking for some current info if anyone has it though.

#8 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

Is this a Ka or a Ku band satellite (or both)?

DirecTV is parking and using Ka and Ku at the same orbital position, because the difference in frequency allows that to work (they don't interfere with each other).

As to all the additional capacity - it is being used to provide the local station feeds. That is no small undertaking.

So this might be an in-orbit backup (although they usually park those someplace else until needed), or it might be new capacity for MPEG4 and local hi-def.

Carl

This satellite might have the 'potential' to transmit Ka (just as D8) might. However, none of the current dishes (including the AT9) have Ka receiving capability off of the 101 orbit). D8 uses Ka for uplink operations only. There is already a backup bird at 101 (D2). I just gotta think that once D9 is parked there will be lots of available bandwidth.

I am beginning to think that really no one has any recent update - only just like me lots of speculation.

spam firewall