Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where was the 942 ever leased? Not in my area??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

Here in Coastal NC there has never been a HD/DVR available for lease.
The non dvr 811 was the only option.
Was the 942 or 921 available anywhere else in the US of A on lease??

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   auburn2

auburn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

Thanks!

Yes mine is leased. I'm in Huntsville Alabama

#3 OFFLINE   VoomVoom

VoomVoom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

Thanks!

Regardless of where I am. I tried to purchase the 942 and they refused, said I could lease only at that time. I could wait and purchase one later. I bought the 921 instead. This happened at the time Dish took on the Voom 10 HD pack. They also wanted me to lease the 921, I wouldn't have no part of that. Then charged me $100 extra for a dish I didn't need for 61.5w. This was a new subscriber "BS" that I foolishly accepted.

Al

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

Then charged me $100 extra for a dish I didn't need for 61.5w. This was a new subscriber "BS" that I foolishly accepted.

Why don't you need the 61.5 dish?

#5 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

HDME, your not but 100 miles of so from me here on the coast (Beaufort). Has either the 921 or 942 ever been available to you for lease?

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

The 921 has NEVER been available as a lease.

The 942 has ALWAYS been available to NEW subscribers as a lease.
Current customers could only buy the 942.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   gregleg

gregleg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

Current customers could only buy the 942.

Nope. I was an established customer for 8 years when I got my leased 942. My friend Dan, also a long-time customer, ALSO got a leased 942 mere weeks after I got mine.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

HDME, your not but 100 miles of so from me here on the coast (Beaufort). Has either the 921 or 942 ever been available to you for lease?

I never actually tried to lease either 921 or 942 receivers. As I understand it, though, the 921 was never leased so I believe all 921 customers are owners.

The 942 was initially only available as a lease to new customers, or purchased to existing customers... but I've read posts from people who complained and begged Dish until they let them have the lease deal as well, so I think there's a mixed bag of 942 lease vs own customers.

#9 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

So we've been taken advantage of AGAIN for being loyal long term customers?
I've had an hd tv in my home for over 3 years but never did get hd because I wasn't willing to give up my dvr feature and Dish wouldn't lease me a hd/drv.
Buying a 921 or 942 was never an easy decision for those who live on a budget. Waiting for Dish to get them right (software issues) and then constantly being told when they (Dish) gets caught up on demand they'll offer me a hd/drv for lease.
Never happened!
I don't mind paying for new technology but after being told all that I was by "people in the know" about hd and mpeg 4 the 921 or 942 was the ONLY way to get hd/dvr to my now 2nd hd tv (a new Sony xbr) was to buy the 942 at $600+.
Then two months later it's obsolete As "A Top" of the line receiver.

Dish always says they make their money on programing which they certainly have but that's their big bucks. I have certainly paid into that pool but they've also collected considerably from us loyal customers who have had to buy new tech (receivers etc.) in order to keep up with what they offer to new customers for free. I have a closet full of old "Best" receivers including two 510's and now after 2 months the 942 bites the dust as being the new "Best". Great sd but not a hd receiver for the new mpeg4 which is on another satellite.
The very least they could have done was stop selling the 921 and 942 prior to this new deal!
Way to look out for your own Dish!

#10 OFFLINE   jbach

jbach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:19 PM

Same state (NC) but inland, and I leased the 942 starting last August.

#11 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

You were already a Dish customer with another receiver and they let you upgrade to a leased 942? What did they charge you for it and if you wouldn't mind where in NC are you? I'm in Beaufort on the coast?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...