Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

101 satellite signal strength greater...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yankclp

yankclp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:13 AM

I use a standard 18" dual lnb dish as the skyhook for my 2 Direct Tivos, a Samsung and an R-10, both just a couple of months old. I have been a Direct TV subscriber since September of 2003.
I am also a radio amateur operator, and installed the system myself.

It seems that the last couple of weeks the signal strengths from the "core" 101 satellite are a couple (3-5 points) stronger than ever. I check the strengths weekly since I first started out with 2 hbh-sa receivers, and upgraded to the current tivos.
Nothing has been affected on my end equipment wise, ie. dish alignment, trees, wires, etc.
Did they launch a new Satellite, or increase the downlink power? Is it something that happens this time of year (like radio propagation or sunspot blackouts in the summer?
Any ideas out there. Just curious from a signal strength point of view.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,821 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Pure speculation - but we are approaching the time of year where the sun is in direct alignment behind the satellites - and possibly random solar noise is being interpretted by your receivers as signal.

Don't know the exact dates and times for this year, but there are two times a year I believe where there is direct alignment, and when that happens it is possible to even lose satellite signal temporarily. I don't think it has actually happened, but I have seen published warnings about the possibility.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

It does happen. When I had DirecWay internet we'd run into it twice a year as you mention. Most don't notice it as it only happens for a few minutes at a time over at most a week. It appears sometime the beginning of March and October.

I doubt this would cause any long term gain in signal strength if at all but it is possible.

#4 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

I use a standard 18" dual lnb dish as the skyhook for my 2 Direct Tivos, a Samsung and an R-10, both just a couple of months old. I have been a Direct TV subscriber since September of 2003.
I am also a radio amateur operator, and installed the system myself.

It seems that the last couple of weeks the signal strengths from the "core" 101 satellite are a couple (3-5 points) stronger than ever. I check the strengths weekly since I first started out with 2 hbh-sa receivers, and upgraded to the current tivos.
Nothing has been affected on my end equipment wise, ie. dish alignment, trees, wires, etc.
Did they launch a new Satellite, or increase the downlink power? Is it something that happens this time of year (like radio propagation or sunspot blackouts in the summer?
Any ideas out there. Just curious from a signal strength point of view.

On the other hand, I have the exact opposite experience. I put up one of the new 5LNB dishes in early January and was getting average signal strength of about 67 on the 101 satellite, and about 64 on the 119 satellite (this for the H20 receiver where signal strengths are lower). About two weeks ago, the signal strengths on the 101 satellite because uniformly lower. Now I am getting very poor signals on some of the even transponders: 8, 16 and 24 are in the 40s, while the transponder I had 67 on, is now 55. On the other hand, all the transponders for the 119 satellite are stronger.

Any idea what could be causing this? I get huge variation in signal strength across the odd and even transponders for the 101 satellite.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,821 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

On the other hand, I have the exact opposite experience. I put up one of the new 5LNB dishes in early January and was getting average signal strength of about 67 on the 101 satellite, and about 64 on the 119 satellite (this for the H20 receiver where signal strengths are lower). About two weeks ago, the signal strengths on the 101 satellite because uniformly lower. Now I am getting very poor signals on some of the even transponders: 8, 16 and 24 are in the 40s, while the transponder I had 67 on, is now 55. On the other hand, all the transponders for the 119 satellite are stronger.

Any idea what could be causing this? I get huge variation in signal strength across the odd and even transponders for the 101 satellite.

I believe you asked this in another thread or forum, but a quick response is: poor installation job (alignment, putting the dish together properly, not tightening everything down properly, etc.), a failing LNB assembly, something blocking your signal, weather, and maybe even an intermittent coax connection.

Carl

spam firewall