Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Comes Out Against Alacart!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

They need a no frills very basic only package for under $20.

dishnetwork has that

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

when i was with dish, i had wwor, alacarte, it had a lot of the old sitcoms i like
to watch, cost,$1.50/mo as far as the rest of this discussion,
my opion is, 2- shopping channels, 2 -religion channels, and if i want to listen to
music, i turn on the stereo. there are a lot of good cheep channels out there
that is full of good programming, but dtv elects NOT to bring them on line.:nono2:

#23 OFFLINE   straymutt

straymutt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

Everybody thinks they would pay less ala-cart but Company "D" would have to adjust their ala-cart prices so that they still made X dollars from Y customers. In the end, capitalism would adjust the playing field so the "average" customer would still be paying the "average" amount.

I guess I don't think I'm anything like the average viewer. I pay $100/mo because I have all the premium movie channels, HD and DVR. Except for ch. 70-79, I never watch anything below ch. 500. If I could have all the premiums and zero basic channels, I'd be really happy and I gotta believe I would save...well the price of basic service. Ok, maybe I wouldn't save the full $41/mo but ~$25 would be nice. I do feel pretty ripped off since there is only 1 channel in the initial Total Choice package that I ever watch but I am required to purchase that package before I can get - and pay more for - what I do watch. So to me it seems like I'm already paying ala carte...with a $41 access fee.

The one problem I see with ala carte though isn't so much which channels would survive and which wouldn't, but how could you start up a new channel in an ala carte world? You would need 5 million subscribers on day 1 to be viable.

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:17 AM

I guess I don't think I'm anything like the average viewer. I pay $100/mo because I have all the premium movie channels, HD and DVR. Except for ch. 70-79, I never watch anything below ch. 500. If I could have all the premiums and zero basic channels, I'd be really happy and I gotta believe I would save...well the price of basic service. Ok, maybe I wouldn't save the full $41/mo but ~$25 would be nice. I do feel pretty ripped off since there is only 1 channel in the initial Total Choice package that I ever watch but I am required to purchase that package before I can get - and pay more for - what I do watch. So to me it seems like I'm already paying ala carte...with a $41 access fee.

You used to be able to do this at D* back in the early days of DBS when the premium's were sold by USSB. You still can with E* if you own your equipment, all 4 premium movie packs for $37.99 + $6 access fee and no basic channels, if you want HD, the HD Basic pack can be added for $29.99. I am not sure, but you may be able to delete the access fee if you get the HD Basics, so it might be $37.99 + $29.99 = $67.98.

#25 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

Isn't/wasn't C Band mostly ala carte? It's been 10 years since I've had it and only got the free stuff when I did have it :)

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

Isn't/wasn't C Band mostly ala carte? It's been 10 years since I've had it and only got the free stuff when I did have it :)

It was, but it still didnt do very well....c-band was all about people getting stuff that was in teh clear, when they had to start paying for subs to channels, alot of skinflints moved away from it....

#27 OFFLINE   SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

Hmm D* could go with ala cart and you could add and drop channels as you wanted during the month.

There are specific certain channels that are NEVER watched in my house. It would be nice to not have to pay for all of them. On the other hand, every now and then while browsing through the guide something will jump out and grab us and voila'. A new season pass is born on a previously unwatched channel.

#28 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hmm D* could go with ala cart and you could add and drop channels as you wanted during the month.

don't forget the fees that dtv now charges even to change the to premium packages. They didnt' like people signing up for weekends then turning it off and only paying for 2 days service.

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

There are specific certain channels that are NEVER watched in my house. It would be nice to not have to pay for all of them. On the other hand, every now and then while browsing through the guide something will jump out and grab us and voila'. A new season pass is born on a previously unwatched channel.

Even with ala carte they will most likely make it a month by month sub to stop idiots from changing their packages daily. Currently they are charging like a $10 penalty if you change services more than once a month

spam firewall