Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RV waiver-HD locals questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

I have only been with Direct for a few months so please bear with me. I have HR 10-250 and live in Nowhere, Alaska. When it was set up, the installer talked to a Direct CSR and was told that I was eligible for distant HD locals but only the coast closest to me geographically so I get the LA HD locals and that's fine. However, my wife and are going to take the summer off and travel the US. We are going to fly to Seattle, buy a motorhome and head east and we'd like to take our Direct unit with us. We intend to buy a motorhome with a 35" HD set so we'd like to be able to get HD locals on the road and we will be on both coasts as part of the reason for this trip is to visit some of my wife's relatives in PA that she hasn't seen in 20 years. Our route will take us from Seattle through the Cascades and the Upper Midwest before heading to the East Coast. On the return we may go as far south as DC/Richmond before meandering back through the center of the US and Denver.

So, my questions:

1. Can I get an RV waiver that will allow me to see HD distant locals?
2. Can I get east coast HD feeds right away or will they make me switch once we are traveling? Any way to get both east and west coast or is that asking too much?
3. What do they need to establish that I own an RV? License, registration, title or just my solemn vow?
4. When we hooked up the Direct TiVo, it would not initialize without 'seeing' all 3 satellites, 101, 105 and 119. For this trip, I really only need to see the locals which are - I think - on 119. What happens if I get my RV waiver and just aim at 119?
5. How big a dish will I need and how big a PITA is this to aim and set up? I know it is a bit fussy up here but, presumably, there is a bigger window down there.
6. Since we'll be on the road for several months, what happens if I can't hook up to a phone line? Can I hook up to a cell phone every few weeks and keep Direct and the TiVo guide happy?
7. Finally, how hard are these RV waivers to get? Will Direct jump me through a bunch of hoops or is it just a phone call? I'm a bit nervous because just getting the distant HD locals to begin with was like pulling teeth.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

The New York and LA HD network stations are on both the 101 and 119 satellite. http://www.widemovie...ansponders.html
Bold indicates HD channels.
Those satellites require the 3 LNB dish which is about 18 by 20 inches.
Directv will require a copy of the RV registration.
Programming guides are downloaded through the satellite. But you will probably be 'nagged' by the Directv to call in.

spam firewall