Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R-15 I figured it out, sort of......

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

I have figured a couple things out that "might" help others avoid problems too.

1.) Do not use the reset button, unplug it wait 15-20 (you must wait) seconds if you need to do a reset. I got this from trial and error and all the lockups I have had. Almost every time I use the reset button I experience another lockup very shortly. When I pull the plug and wait, it is much more stable.

2.) Make your SL's and other recordings and LEAVE IT BE. Get your SL's in the order you want then DO NOT use the prioritizer, history or to do list at all.

This is only my throughts but these are things I think "might" help us out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

1.) Do not use the reset button, unplug it wait 15-20 (you must wait) seconds if you need to do a reset. I got this from trial and error and all the lockups I have had. Almost every time I use the reset button I experience another lockup very shortly. When I pull the plug and wait, it is much more stable.

Doesn't that contradict earlier advice? Wasn't conventional wisdom that guide data repopulated faster with the reset button? Maybe that's why it's less stable for you than unplugging it (referring to your other thread where you noticed that your box was more stable with less-than-full guide data).

#3 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:51 AM

If I was confident that it would record everything I tell it to, I would leave it be - I'm not, therefore I need to check the TDL periodically.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

Doesn't that contradict earlier advice? Wasn't conventional wisdom that guide data repopulated faster with the reset button? Maybe that's why it's less stable for you than unplugging it (referring to your other thread where you noticed that your box was more stable with less-than-full guide data).

I am not sure where it was posted that the reset repopulated faster.

Going into STANDBY MODE (via the OFF button) does populate it faster.

But the reset button is pretty much the same thing as a reset button on a computer. It forces a reboot.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   gimme5

gimme5

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:23 AM

I couldn't possibly stop checking the TDL every single day...

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

that guide data repopulated faster with the reset button?

I never heard that before. From what I understand, the red reset only resets certain things and pulling the plug resets everything.

Thats why (my guess) when I used the reset button I always had problems shortly after as its not clearing everything. When I pulled the plug for a full reset I have had many less problems.

#7 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

Right, I phrased that wrong. Not that hitting the red button makes the guide data come back faster, but that doing so keeps it (or more of it) from going away in the first place.

I don't know: maybe I'm imagining the prior red button vs. unplug discussion. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

I too feel better by checking the to do list but thats where about 1/3 of my lockups happen. If anyone else constanly has lockups while in the to do list, avoiding it helps cut down the problems.

If I stay out of the TDL and Prioritizer that should eliminate 75-80% of my problems.

#9 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

but that doing so keeps it (or more of it) from going away in the first place

Not sure but that could be true. When I reset with the button I have problems later on (guide data didnt delete) but when I pull the plug I dont have problems for a while (complete delete of guide data).

It could be that or it could be whatever else it does when you pull the plud vs using the reset button.

#10 OFFLINE   gimme5

gimme5

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

I too feel better by checking the to do list but thats where about 1/3 of my lockups happen.

I've never had a lockup in the TDL, at least not yet. I've only had lockups while watching shows, and I don't think I'm gonna stop doing that either :)

#11 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

I too feel better by checking the to do list but thats where about 1/3 of my lockups happen. If anyone else constanly has lockups while in the to do list, avoiding it helps cut down the problems.

If I stay out of the TDL and Prioritizer that should eliminate 75-80% of my problems.

It doesn't seem to matter where I am when It locks up. Hell, alot of the time I'm just hitting LIST to play a MYVOD. But I've had it lock up hitting guide, prioritizer, todo list, SL, search, etc.

#12 OFFLINE   ISWIZ

ISWIZ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:48 PM

Not sure but that could be true. When I reset with the button I have problems later on (guide data didnt delete) but when I pull the plug I dont have problems for a while (complete delete of guide data).

It could be that or it could be whatever else it does when you pull the plud vs using the reset button.

I wondered if there was some type of memory leak/buffer overflow at work. Only in that we have all seen similar problems but not necessarily doing the same thing.:confused:
Dave

DTV HR22-100 (Primary)
DTV R16-300 (Secondary)

DTV R16-300
(Gathering dust in a closet)

#13 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

I tested it last night when my box locked up. It had full data when it locked up. I pressed the reset button and after that it only had about a days worth of data. I usually just unplug it and thats all the guide data I ever see.

It looks like reset or unplug it loses all the guide data and you only get what it firsts downloads when it restarts.

#14 OFFLINE   mkmhr

mkmhr

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

I would advise you to always use the menus to reset any dvr, this ensures you do not do do anymore harm than nessecary. Only unplugg style reset when absolutely ness.

spam firewall