Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAX national feed no longer on D* effective 9/26/02

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 04:53 PM

Subject says it all - just got this message on my D* bill I just received - no reason given.

Anyone heard about this on E*?

(It's kind of ironic here - our local cable (Insight) just last week added PAX national feed to their broadcast basic tier - we don't have a PAX local station)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 05 August 2002 - 04:57 PM

Hmmmmm. What about the customers who don't have locals for their local affiliate? What about those customers that don't even HAVE a PAX affiliate? What about customers who don't have the PAX affiliate in their locals package? Many questions on this issue. I doubt Echostar will cut it because I strongly believe DirecTV's carriage of the local PAX's is a BIG part of this.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:18 PM

I am not surtprised. PAX was foolish to insist on must carry. I do feel sorry for thsoe who will no longer receive it. But I am not surprised at all.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:40 PM

My wife and I regularly watch several shows on PAX. As such, I'll miss not having their programming anymore. However, IMHO, they took such a hard line in insisting that DTV carry all of their local stations, loaded with infomercials, that I don't blame DTV for giving them the boot.

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:03 PM

I hope Dish does not do the same. Did DirecTv have this in their basic package like Dish did? Sounds like what DirecTv does with the superstations, only available in local markets. I guess this is just no money maker for them with Pax that they think it will not make much of a difference.

#6 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 07:14 AM

I always wondered why if my local PAX (channel 16 for me) is on, why do I still get a national PAX? Makes sense to me for it to be shut off just the same as the national PBS or other network feeds.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#7 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 08:10 AM

DISH negotiated natioanl carriage in lieu of LIL. Make ssense. Everybody can STILL see PAX though not whatever local programming they have (minimal). However now the only DTV viewers who can see it are those who happen to live where there is an OTA affilaite.

I do see DTV's point of view but it is unfortunate for the viewers who will miss programming they enjoy.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#8 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 08:18 AM

Hey, my PAX station brings me all those great Ronco products.

#9 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 09:48 AM

Ahem, everyone with AT100+. An AT50 customer, or an AT50 customer with locals, does not get the Pax national feed. Just ask my wife... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Geronimo
DISH negotiated natioanl carriage in lieu of LIL. Make ssense. Everybody can STILL see PAX though not whatever local programming they have (minimal).

#10 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:28 AM

Pay the $9 then! :)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 11:25 PM

top 100 or top 150 is supposed to have PAX

#12 OFFLINE   BrettR

BrettR

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 03:20 PM

I guess because I subscribed to Philly locals, DirecTV didnt even bother to mention it in the bill.

#13 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 03:46 PM

Originally posted by BrettR
I guess because I subscribed to Philly locals, DirecTV didnt even bother to mention it in the bill.

That shouldn't matter - I have Chicago locals, too. Maybe you'll get it on the next bill cycle.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 05:02 PM

I always wondered why if my local PAX (channel 16 for me) is on, why do I still get a national PAX?

Probably since PBS and the others have network status and contracts between the providers. TBN, MTV2 (through marriage) Univision and Telemundo also have local affilates, but the national feeds are avilable to everyone who wants to subscribe.

I never watch PAX, my mom does and would be mad if E* ever did away with it. Yeah we have PAX51, but the PQ on E* is better, and PAX 51 and she hates seeing the promos for the 10PM news with the same morons from NBC2.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#15 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 13 August 2002 - 07:02 PM

I don't think Dish could handle having to carry all of those PAX channels right now. They probably do fork over some more dough to just have the national feed.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#16 OFFLINE   BrettR

BrettR

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 07:54 AM

I dont think E* pays alot for PAX National feed. PAX put up the national feed to get more exposure for their network. They collect advertising revenue by reaching so many HH. Echostar and DirecTV only agreed to carry it, if they didnt have to carry the O&O stations. DirecTV's contract though was made before the mustcarry and retransmission period, so Paxson decided to do mustcarry also. DirecTV thought they were covered, but FCC thought otherwise.

Any idea what will be replaced for PAX? DirecTV has PAX National in Select Choice. IIRC, DirecTV raised the rates by $3, and now is removing PAX. To some, that would sound like the cable company (only with digital and better PQ).

#17 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 10:28 AM

Originally posted by TNGTony
Pay the $9 then! :)

See ya
Tony

As Geronimo pointed out, E* negotiated the national feed as an alternative to carrying the local Pax feeds. I'm simply pointing out that there are numerous E* subs with locals who aren't getting the Pax feed.

I'm sure you would agree that paying $9 to receive a channel that should have been included in your locals package is too much to pay.

Now if Pax national feed were included in the locals packages, that would solve the problem...
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#18 OFFLINE   catman

catman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 07:04 AM

Directv is claiming it is a FCC law that they can not carry pax .

#19 OFFLINE   Jasonbp

Jasonbp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 06:30 PM

Honest, I never cared for PAX, national feed or local. Half the stuff on my local PAX was paid programing anyway, 14 hours worth. The only thing I would ever watch on PAX is Touched by an Angel, and that was once in a blue moon. From 2 or 3 PM it becomes The WB till 8 PM at night. Some of that I watch.

spam firewall