Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Regular channels on DIRECTV in HD???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EasternNC

EasternNC

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

I have heard alot about DIRECTV & its schedule for rolling out Local HD Channels in TV markets for the next 2 years. But what is the schedule for implementing all of DIRECTV "Regular" channels to HD. For example TVLAND, MSNBC, CNN, USA, CMT, MTV, HISTORY CHANNEL, DISCOVERY CHANNELS, and all of the other channels like this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

I have heard alot about DIRECTV & its schedule for rolling out Local HD Channels in TV markets for the next 2 years. But what is the schedule for implementing all of DIRECTV "Regular" channels to HD. For example TVLAND, MSNBC, CNN, USA, CMT, MTV, HISTORY CHANNEL, DISCOVERY CHANNELS, and all of the other channels like this.

That depends on when those particular networks make the decision to add a national HD feed. I could be mistaken...often am...but I do not believe any of the networks you mentioned currently broadcast an HD feed. If the network don't broadcast it, no SAT/cable can carry it.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

Discovery has an HD version and D* and E* have it, the other channels you listed do not have HD versions for D* or E* to broadcast. In other words, D*, E* and the cable providers can only give you HD channels that are broadcasting in HD, most do not do this at this time.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

Like others are saying here, until these stations go HD, which none of them are even available anywhere in HD yet except for one Discovery channel, D* cant carry what doesnt exist.....

Personally I'm hoping for FX, USA, and SCI-FI as my big 3 wishlist to go HD ASAP....

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

Like others are saying here, until these stations go HD, which none of them are even available anywhere in HD yet except for one Discovery channel, D* cant carry what doesnt exist.....

Personally I'm hoping for FX, USA, and SCI-FI as my big 3 wishlist to go HD ASAP....

Well... If they would just properly use Universal-HD... we would have our USA and SCI-FI HD.... until they had their own dedicated ones...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Well... If they would just properly use Universal-HD... we would have our USA and SCI-FI HD.... until they had their own dedicated ones...

What, and stop my daily fix of Knight Rider in HD. No way man!!! Tell SciFi to get their own.

#7 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Knight Rider >>> anything on Sci Fi

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Knight Rider >>> anything on Sci Fi

No, but it's on Universal HD every friggen day. Yippee. Oh, give me my DH.

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,862 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

MTV Netwoks recently launched an HD Channel called MHD, which is composed of music programming from MTV, VH1, and CMT. They decided to make one HD music channel with music programming from all 3 services to be considerate of the bandwith constraints on both Cable and Satellite.

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:58 AM

Hmm... Hadn't heard of MHD... but I have a strange hunch that would cure the HD itch a lot of users have.

National Geographic HD would probably scratch the itch better... but then again.....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   funkeruski

funkeruski

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:39 AM

I also don't give a crap which channel(s) they add next as long as they don't take away my daily morning double dose of Hogan's Heroes in HD.

#12 OFFLINE   DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

I've been told a couple of times that HGTV and Food Network should be in HD soon... I'd definitely go for the HD food shots. Talk about stirring up hanger pangs! :-) As long as they don't show high definition MacDonald's, the fat Americans should do okay. ;-)

#13 OFFLINE   stackman

stackman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:58 AM

National Geographic, History Channel would be great.

spam firewall