Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do you turn your receivers off evertime?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAMAJAS

BAMAJAS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

Evertime I hit the power off button on my remote it turns off the TV and the receiver. Do you turn off your receiver everytime you turn off yout TV or just turn off the TV and leave the receiver on?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:01 AM

The receivers are mostly "on" even when the front panel LED is off. It does not matter, but I normally use the TV off button and get my box off at the same time, it is nice to get rid of the LEDs ;-)

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:21 AM

I turn everything off when I am not using something. Just a habit I have and not for any technical reason.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:37 AM

With the exception of my three remaining DTivos (which don't have the standby button on the remote).

All the other recievers (H20, R15, R15) are shut off.

The R15's are shut down because it tells the unit, I am done watching it... and it can do it's other work.

The H20... It is my secondary HDTV reciever so it is used maybe twice a week.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

I turn them off when I'm not using them. For most receivers it saves a little power for the part of the receiver that produces the signal to the TV.

For my HDTivo, it does what Earl says - it knows that I am not actually watching and can do cleanup or use both tuners for recording.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

All the D* receivers I have ever used, are always cooler when they are off, so for straight receivers, I always recommend turning them off when not in use.....excessive heat is the 1st enemy of electronics.....

DVR's are never off unless you unplug them, but they *MAY* do better housekeeping if you put them in standby.....

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

I have never turned any of my DTivos or non-Tivos off when not in use. Just as I do not turn any of my PCs off when not in use.

Main reason for the DTivos is I want to see my two live buffers when I can't sleep at night and turn on the TV.

I guess that's the price to pay for DTV's new advanced technology....make sure you turn everything off at night when you never had to before. Go figure.

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

i ALWAYS TURN MINE OFF,,IN HOPES IT DOWNLOADS AT NIGHT INSTEAD OF WHEN I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF WATCHING SOMETHING. BUT THAT STILL HAS NEVER HAPPEND

#9 OFFLINE   cobra2225

cobra2225

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:50 AM

i started turning my off in hope's it would help me from buying a new one every
5-6 months

spam firewall