Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Pic Qual on Enterprise

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alinford_*

Guest_alinford_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed REALLY bad picture Quality on Star Trek Enterprise? The channel normally has ok quality, but for Enterprise, it gets snowy.
This has happened on every showing of Enterprise that I have seen or recorded (6 episodes).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,747 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:55 PM

Which channel is this? I know that they're performing some transmitter on one of the UPN superstastion transmitters.
:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:33 PM

Haven't watched lately since repeats of Enterpise not so exciting. But when watching the new episodes on my Local E* Atlanta UPN and on the Superstation UPNs the picture on Enterprise has always been kind of soft in focus. More noticable than on any other shows I've watched on UPNs. Never seen it snowy on the 3 UPNs I've watched (Atlanta, NY WWOR and I believe it is Boston?)
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#4 Guest_alinford_*

Guest_alinford_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2002 - 04:45 PM

This is on the UPN that I see in Salt Lake City. This affects no other programming on UPN. It looks like sun spot interference. Lots of noise in the picture. But only on Enterprise.

#5 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 09:38 PM

I have the good fortune of a UPN station that already is transmitting digital OTA.

Just hoping that UPN starts showing Enterprise in HD. It's being filmed in it!

#6 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 02:04 PM

I also have the good fortune of watching Enterprise OTA digital and the PQ is awful. The CG shots look awesome but the actual film part looks very flat and lifeless. Yes, my TV is properly calibrated and every other show on UPN looks very good, it's just Enterprise that is not up to par.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#7 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 02:45 PM

Get the superstation package.

WWOR-NY (channel 238) had all their equipment destroyed on 9/11, so they had to install all new equipment and the PQ is quite good now.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#8 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 09:57 PM

Watched some of the show tonight OTA analog. The PQ was bad and the funny thing is that digital artifacts were the problem.

Scenes that took place around a campfire had blocky backgrounds and quick motion showed pixellation with some "ghost" images of slower action on the screen.

Anybody have an idea why? It's shot in digital isn't it? Somebody need to do a smart card pull at the station? :)

#9 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 10:29 PM

WSBK looks like the pits tonight! It was getting as bad as KWGN used to look like. I tried to change the channel to the local Cincinnati UPN but then I remembered DISH NETWORK REFUSES TO CARRY THE UPN STATION IN CINCINNATI. Dish is the ONLY multi-channel carrier in the area that will not carry this channel!
-Dish said they had a retransmission issue (the owner was willing to GIVE dish equipment to get the signal to the POP)
-Dish then said they are out of bandwidth...currently thereare TWO *empty* transponders at 110° where the rest of Cincinnati Locals are.

so I couldn't check to see if it was just WSBK or what. But the picture was aweful.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#10 Guest_razorbackfan_*

Guest_razorbackfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 02:18 PM

Actually Enterprise is shot on 70mm film stock.

#11 OFFLINE   briancl

briancl

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 10:57 PM

Enterprise is filmed that way its not the Sat provider or anything.

#12 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 11:04 PM

Originally posted by briancl
Enterprise is filmed that way its not the Sat provider or anything.

That's why I posted that I saw digital artifacts when I was watching an OTA broadcast. No digital anything on my end, but had a lot of posterization. I have no idea why, does anybody else?

#13 OFFLINE   andgarden

andgarden

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 11:52 PM

Originally posted by TNGTony
WSBK looks like the pits tonight! It was getting as bad as KWGN used to look like.
See ya
Tony

I believe this is because WSBK is the only super still being rec OTA by E*.

-Andy

#14 OFFLINE   briancl

briancl

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 10:21 AM

The Picture Quality of Enterprise has nothing to do with the station, provider, or anything like that. Enterprise is made like that to make it look older because it takes place before the other star trek series. There is nothing wrong with the picture quality. Thats just the way it is filmed

spam firewall