Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Premium Movie Packages - too few channels, too much $$

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevino

kevino

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:47 PM

I've just switched from Digital Cable to Dish, and have to say that in general I am very pleased. However, one area Digital cable definitely outpaces Dish, is the movie packages (at least in my area - Adelphia in VT).

The HBO package, for example, on Dish only includes 8 channels. My digital cable package included 14 HBO channels, 7 east, and 7 west. Dish is missing most of the west channels, and doesn't even carry HBO Zone. When I sit down to watch a movie, having all of the west channels is a big advantage - literally 2x the movies available for the couple of hours I have free to watch..

Cinemax is even worse - 8 channels on Digital cable, vs. only 3 on Dish.

Has anyone heard of any move to add more channels? I'm a new subscriber so I don't know how frequently the movie packages are updated... Does Dish frequently add new channels to the premium packages?

Thanks!
Kevin O

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 07:49 PM

I agree that they are over-priced - especially Max. Digital cable here offers several more channels, too. If they are only going to carry 3 Max's, they should include it in the HBO package. The themed Encores are included in the Starz pak on cable, also. They should be included by E* too, but if they did that, there's no way they could sell AT150 for $9 more!

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:37 PM

IMHO, Premium channels are a waste of money. Many of the movies are shown in pan-and-scan, not their original aspect ratio. Of course, I have a collection of almost 400 DVD titles. :)

In addition, there is a transponder crunch. Many of the local markets are being carried on 110 CONUS slot. Due to problems detected with the command module, the June launch of EchoStar 8 has been delayed until late this month, with the bird being operation in late-September to October. Once more locals are moved to spots, then more channels can be added.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 08:53 PM

These East/West feeds of channels might go away as more people get PVRs. Then timeshifting would allow them to watch their Skinamax at better hours... :D

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

I do agree that the movie channels have gotten a bit steep. Its been a whlie since they have upgraded the premium movie channels. I think they need to give a little better price structure for combining top 150 and all the premiums by giving a little better deal or get the fourth premium free when you order three.

It used to be that you could get them for 10.00 a piece and now you have to order 3 or 4 to get it for that price or cheaper.

#6 OFFLINE   kevino

kevino

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:02 PM

Honestly, PVR timeshifting is a good options for the east/west feeds for people who "plan" their TV watching. However, I'm an impulse couch potato - I sit in front of the TV when I've got free time, and watch whatever is on at the time.

For my TV viewing style (and I suspect my viewing habits represent >75% of the viewing public), east/west feeds of the premium channels literally 2x the chance that there is a movie worth watching on!

#7 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:03 PM

What would you rather have? Two HBOs that show the same thing or additional HDTV channels...

#8 OFFLINE   kevino

kevino

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:11 PM

I truly would prefer the east/west feeds over an HD feed... (Actually I think I read somewhere that I could get 5+ regular SD channels for the bandwidth of 1 HD channel, so I'll take a few of them, thank you!).

Now.... ask me again in a couple of years when I actually have an HD display, and I may very well offer a different answer!!

#9 OFFLINE   DmitriA

DmitriA

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:54 PM

Originally posted by James_F
What would you rather have? Two HBOs that show the same thing or additional HDTV channels...

I'd rather have... BOTH! :-)

#10 OFFLINE   bfennema

bfennema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:19 PM

How about all west coast feeds, and people on the east coast go to bed and get up 3 hours later?

All this would be solved if we got rid of the outdated concept of time zones =)

#11 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:23 PM

"All this would be solved if we got rid of the outdated concept of time zones =)"

While I agree we should have one universal time, it would not solve the east/west feed problem. People on the west coast would have daylight at different times still, and therefore work, eat, and sleep at different hours - requiring TV suited to their schedule.

#12 OFFLINE   bfennema

bfennema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:28 PM

People currently work, eat, and sleep at different hours even in the same time zone. (night shift, for example) They don't have the luxury of TV suited to their schedule =)

#13 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:32 PM

They should. That's what PVRs and having both east and west coast feeds available to everybody nationwide are meant for:)

#14 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:42 PM

Explain to me how Universal time helps anyone? I live in Arizona, so I get up at 3am instead of 6am? Go to bed at 7pm? Why the heck would I want to live like that?

#15 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:46 PM

one, I really doubt any universal time system would be 12 hour. Hate to break it to ya! It would be a 24 hour clock, and be GMT. Local schedules would be adjusted to compensate. Why would anybody want that?

- no time zone calculations means more efficient business

- easier to understand plane and train tickets

- know what the people in Japan mean when they say call them at 12:00

- and the list goes on and on and on...

#16 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:52 PM

Why do you think I went with Dish in the first place? I wanted a fee-free PVR that did time shifting. My work schedule changed in mid-July due to a personnel change, so I went from 9a-6p on Tuesdays and Thursdays-Sundays to 11a-8p Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays, and 9a-6p on weekends.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#17 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:55 PM

I work with people all the time in different timezones all day. Other than they forget the fact that Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, I have no problems. I just don't know why a universal time zone is needed?

#18 OFFLINE   bfennema

bfennema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 10:55 PM

We should also get rid of daylight savings time while were at it =)

#19 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 11:02 PM

Works here in Phoenix. No worries about Spring Back, Fall Forward or what ever you guys have to deal with... Anyway who wants an extra hour of light when its 110 degrees?

#20 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 11:06 PM

I believe we should celebrate daylight savings all year...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...