Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Premium Movie Packages - too few channels, too much $$

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 05:55 AM

I believe we should celebrate daylight savings all year

Let's party. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 08:19 AM

Damn, its too hot, I'm going to the pool!

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
I do agree that the movie channels have gotten a bit steep. Its been a whlie since they have upgraded the premium movie channels. I think they need to give a little better price structure for combining top 150 and all the premiums by giving a little better deal or get the fourth premium free when you order three.

It used to be that you could get them for 10.00 a piece and now you have to order 3 or 4 to get it for that price or cheaper.

E* does this now, what do you think Americas Everything package is? AT150+all four premiums for $72.99, if you add it up this is the same as getting them for only $8 each or getting three at regular combo price and the forth for just $3.

#24 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:30 PM

Originally posted by toomuchtv
I agree that they are over-priced - especially Max. Digital cable here offers several more channels, too. If they are only going to carry 3 Max's, they should include it in the HBO package. The themed Encores are included in the Starz pak on cable, also. They should be included by E* too, but if they did that, there's no way they could sell AT150 for $9 more!

The Encore channels are included in the Starz! Superpack on Directv as well.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#25 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:39 PM

The Encore channels add the least value of any premium movie packages. I can't remember that last time I watched a movie on one except the "Action" channel... :shrug:

#26 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:48 PM

What I meant was more of a discount than what they offer on the america's everything pack like giving a better discount for 4 movie packages and then a bigger discount for combining that with top 150. If not an additional discount at least offer some additional channels at no extra charge.

#27 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Jacob S
What I meant was more of a discount than what they offer on the america's everything pack like giving a better discount for 4 movie packages and then a bigger discount for combining that with top 150. If not an additional discount at least offer some additional channels at no extra charge.

I do not understand? If you get one premium it is $13.99 for HBO or $11.99 each for the other three. If you get two it is either $21.99 or $22.99 depending on the combo, that is $7 or $9 depending on the combo for the 2nd premium, seams like a discount to me. If you select three premiums the price is $29.99, so your third premium is only $7 or $8, once again a discount. If you order all four premiums at $36.99, that fourth one is only $7, might not be as much of a discount as the AE Pak but still a discount even with AT50 or AT100. ;)

#28 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 09:40 PM

Yes, I know, they discount just the premiums, or just the basic packages, and they do discount them if you order all the basics and all the premiums, but I think they should also discount more if you order a higher basic with a couple of premiums, like run some specials or something. They could look back at the ones that never ordered them before and offer that to them to bring in more revenue.

#29 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 10:27 AM

Ah! now I understand, you would like say maybe AT150 and HBO for say $52.99 instead of the normal $54.98 or maybe AT150 with two premiums for maybe $59.99 instead of the normal $61.98 or $62.98. Sounds good, but does complicate marketing.:)

#30 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:46 PM

I am guessing that is why they did not do this yet. What I think they should do is have a point system where they reward the customers for paying their bills on time each month, for getting new customers, for adding programming, for taking certain packages, and so forth, and giving a reward such as free ppv, free channels, free upgrade, etc. with the points.

spam firewall