Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phone Line Fee Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paulrus

paulrus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

As a 921 owner looking to upgrade on Apr. 1, can anyone explain what this $4.99 per month charge for not having a phone line is??

Does anyone at Dish recognize that we aren't in the 20th century anymore? I haven't had an actual POTS phone in several years. We use cell phones for our main lines and Skype for international calls. I'm not about to get a land line just for this DVR...

What do I get for my $4.99 a month? And why don't I have to pay the same fee with my 921?

Paul

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

As a 921 owner looking to upgrade on Apr. 1, can anyone explain what this $4.99 per month charge for not having a phone line is??

Does anyone at Dish recognize that we aren't in the 20th century anymore? I haven't had an actual POTS phone in several years. We use cell phones for our main lines and Skype for international calls. I'm not about to get a land line just for this DVR...

Don't know what the 20th century has to do with it... Virtually all businesses and homes have landline phone ran to them, even if the customer has not chosen to use that service.

Most people in the US have landline phones even if they have cell or otherwise. People with cell-only or VOIP or cable-phone or whatever are still very much in the minority.

So if Dish needs (and we've debated this need in other discussions elsewhere) the phone line, then they really are best-served to cater/develop to what most of their customers have right now.

What do I get for my $4.99 a month? And why don't I have to pay the same fee with my 921?

Paul

Think of it this way... The dual-tuner receiver has a second tuner. Dish is saying if you connect a phone line they won't charge $5 for that 2nd tuner.

And I thought the 921 did carry this same fee for not connecting a phone line. Doesn't it?

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

No.. because the 921 is not a considered a two room receiver. It is a single output receiver. The only receivers that have this requirements are the dual room receivers.

Hopefully they will do something with the ethernet port to provide a solution with people that have gone completely Cell phone. (Need to add that to Wish list).
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

Actually I could care less about the dual room function. It is only feeding my primary TV. I just need the multiple tuners as most of my shows are recorded and watched on my big TV.

As for the phone line fee, this is the first time I have ever been faced with it. Luckily that machine is hooked up to a phone line already.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   paulrus

paulrus

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hmmm I guess when I read about studies from the year 2001 that say:

"American cell phone users age 25 to 34 are more than FOUR TIMES as likely to use their mobile phone as their primary telephone than those over age 35."

It makes me think that it's a big enough market for them to get with the times (aka the 21st century). Sort of like web developers insisting their sites are designed to work perfectly on 800x600 screens - yeah a lot of people still use this res, but the fact is the trend is moving towards much higher resolutions.

The trend since 2000 is towards cell phones as a primary phone. I personally can't see us getting a land line in the forseeable future. It doesn't make economical sense.

And no, I've never had to pay $5 for not having a land line with my 921. They didn't need a land line to set it up and I've never had a problem. The same goes for my old DirecTivo system. Even though they say they require a land line, it worked flawlessly without one - and they never charged a cent for it.

I could understand having to pay a premium for PPV content, since you'll have to actually call in to order it -but this $5 a month business is just silly.

How about letting you use a USB to 802.11a/b/g adapter to connect to the net and deal with things that way. It seems to work well for Tivo users.

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Hmmm I guess when I read about studies from the year 2001 that say:

"American cell phone users age 25 to 34 are more than FOUR TIMES as likely to use their mobile phone as their primary telephone than those over age 35."

Assuming for the moment that this is an accurate survey... There are more people older and younger than that age range alive who weren't even asked.

Also, it says "primary telephone"... That implies that they have more than one phone service. I have landline and cellphone. I might even choose to use my cellphone as my primary service... but I still have landline.

Bottom line is that landline is still present at 99+% of all locations, and everybody is capable of having that type of service if they want. Cellphones have areas where they don't work still and not everyone has VOIP in their area... so safest assumption is still to assume landline.

Whether or not I think it is a good requirement for a phone connection or whatever is a different discussion. Since Dish has decided they do, then the landline assumption makes the most sense.

It makes me think that it's a big enough market for them to get with the times (aka the 21st century). Sort of like web developers insisting their sites are designed to work perfectly on 800x600 screens - yeah a lot of people still use this res, but the fact is the trend is moving towards much higher resolutions.

The trend is also moving towards digital and eventually HD... so lets just make the cutoff now, and everyone who doesn't have a new digital HD TV will have to go buy one tomorrow. If the trend is going that way... why keep using 20th century SD technology? :)

And no, I've never had to pay $5 for not having a land line with my 921. They didn't need a land line to set it up and I've never had a problem. The same goes for my old DirecTivo system. Even though they say they require a land line, it worked flawlessly without one - and they never charged a cent for it.

That was my mistake, and why I asked... I don't have a 921, but knew it was a dual-tuner receiver. I had assumed it was lumped in with the others... but another poster also pointed out my mistaken assumption.

How about letting you use a USB to 802.11a/b/g adapter to connect to the net and deal with things that way.

We've discussed in several other threads about this... so I don't want to re-hash it all. I think there have been some good alternatives suggested, like using the newer DishComm technology for new/future receivers and disabling PPV from the remote if a landline isn't present.

I think, even though I have DSL, it isn't a good assumption to make that most people have DSL or cable-modem for internet service in their homes yet either. Sure it is growing and expanding, but most folks in my neighborhood don't have high-speed internet like I do... and if they are still on dial-up, then they have a landline phone to connect.

Also... aside from the PPV discussion... Dish wants to make sure receivers are in your home and not your neighbor's... this can be done via caller-id on the landline connection... but not reliable through an internet IP since IPs can be spoofed and many of us have dynamic IPs anyway, so no way to tie that to our address.

I think there will be some better alternatives in the future... though they may in some cases require upgrades to newer than legacy receivers... and I would like to see their dependancy on landline go away too. I just understand why they have it, and until a better solution comes along this is what we have.

#7 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

Those of us who like to live away from the masses and thier "quiet desperation" do very well with dial up. My property (6 acres) has one or two spots where you may, if you hold your cell phone just right, get a connection. The cable company has not run down this street and probably won't because most folks have off air or DBS. So no cable modem service. I am too far away from the phone repeaters to get DSL. I was told by a phone tech that if I could get a dozen or so to sigh up for DSL, they could make it happen off a fiber cable that runs right by my property!
I had to run 150ft to find a spot where I could get a look at 61 degrees for HD. And I don't think the "hole" in the trees where I have the Dish 500 is wide enough for a 1000 dish
My pet peeve is companies that assume that everyone has high speed access and so design sites that are so slow to load on my dial up that I loose interest and go to a competitor! Which I do often. Ebery site should open with a choice box doe high or low speed before anything else, including Dish Network's!

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,809 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

I'm not quite as far out as you, but cell phones don't work too well at my place either. I DO get DSL, and TimeWarner runs right by. Phoneline service is almost always reliable, though...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#9 OFFLINE   paulrus

paulrus

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

I guess it's thinking like this that has pushed the rollout of HDTV back year after year after year....

Nothing wrong with supporting the majority, but just a LITTLE forward thinking would go a long way. Just look at what Tivo is doing..

But I guess I am talking about the company that released the 921......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...