Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV's LEASING Plan (Effective 3/1/2006)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DRSForLife

DRSForLife

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

A $300 up front fee for leasing "Advanced Technology" equipment pretty much equates to the current equipment purchase price. But you can't turn around and sell it if you cancel. You could be out some $$$.

Looking at the new pricing for equipment,

Leasing equipment ------- Owning equipment
DVR - $99 --------------------------- $349
HD - $ 99 ---------------------------- $ 349
HDDVR - $499 ----------------------- $ 749

I think I'd rather lease, because at least with leasing, if something goes wrong, I can get a replacement at no cost, where as owning, if I don't have the Protection Plan, I'm stuck buying another one at the same cost.

Earlier in the forum, someone asked about the Protection Plan. The new leasing model only covers the receiver itself. If you don't have the Protection Plan, you would still be responsible for the remote control or for service calls for technical reasons, so if I were you, I'd still keep the Protection Plan even if you leased your equipment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   captain_video

captain_video

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

If you get DTV's protection plan ($7.99/month for advanced receivers, including DVRs) then you get the same protection as the leasing plan. The prices you posted for owning equipment is a bit skewed, IMO. You can buy brand new DTivos for $99 or less, even without any rebates attached. HDTivos and receivers vary all over the place if you look on ebay, even for new equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:58 AM

The prices you posted for owning equipment is a bit skewed, IMO. You can buy brand new DTivos for $99 or less, even without any rebates attached. HDTivos and receivers vary all over the place if you look on ebay, even for new equipment.

Not as of 3/1. The prices posted are correct, for equipment ordered through D* and it's authorized dealers.
The lower prices are available under the lease program with a contract.
The higher prices ($349, $749) are for owned equipment with no contract.

#4 OFFLINE   sharpmibo

sharpmibo

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:21 AM

Spoke with D* yesterday to get details on leasing a H10-250. Since I have already used my $200 rebate on a H20 I am only eligable for a $100 rebate. This means a cost of $499 plus the lease fees. Seems like same price as before but now I don't own the equipment. When I asked what will happen when the new HD-DVR comes, was told there would be an upgrade fee but not given an amount.

My city area has very limited HD content from cable so I am stuck, but not happy.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

This thread will serve as a focal point for discussion of the LEASING plan, post 3/1/2006
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

Even though local HD service is not yet available in my locale, I called the D* HD line yesterday to enquire about the H20. The CSR tried to convince me to wait until the 2nd generation KuKa dish is available which, she said, should be about the time my HD locals are available. At that time, she said, there should be large discounts on this service. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

Anyhow, the point is that the CSR actively tried to get me to wait on the purchase of the H20.

So, what happened? Yesterday D* advertised the H20 + multisat dish on their website for $49, and to day the lease price is listed at $99 (with no rebate). In other words, the price doubled overnight. Thank goodness I purchased an H20 at CC a couple days ago just in case something like this happened!
-Eric
------------------
SLS5
HR-22
Onkyo TX702
Toshiba CinemaSeries xxxxx

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

I am sure if you insisted... they would have leased it to you.

Probably part of it is, they know the Slimline dish is on the way. It is probably cheaper for them to produce and install a SlimLine dish.

IMHO, one of the sideeffects of this, is that the CSRs will hopefully be more informed of the next technologies in the pipeline, and will help their customers make a better more informed choice.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

No doubt because of limited production runs on the CC web site:

Note: DIRECTV® services sold separately. A maximum of six (6) receivers may be leased per year, but not more than two (2) DVR receivers, two (2) HD receivers and one (1) HD DVR receiver may by leased in a given year. A separate monthly equipment leasing fee of $4.99 applies.

So i hope no one has a need for more than one HD dvr :)

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have an hunch that there will be exceptions to that rule.

XYX customer calls up and says... I need three HD-DVRs.
Sorry, you will have to get them over the next three years.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

I'm betting the exceptions are made depending how many hearts you have

#11 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

Looking at the new pricing for equipment,

$499 to lease a HD-DVR..? Wow, that's expensive...that's $200 more up front than Dish for their HD-DVR...are we sure that number is right..? That seems awfully high just to lease an STB...DirecTV is certainly not going to compete with cable at that price...and how are they going to be competitive with Dish with a $200 higher price..?

#12 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

$499 to lease a HD-DVR..? Wow, that's expensive...that's $200 more up front than Dish for their HD-DVR...are we sure that number is right..? That seems awfully high just to lease an STB...DirecTV is certainly not going to compete with cable at that price...and how are they going to be competitive with Dish with a $200 higher price..?

That price is right.

They've been competing with E* with that higher price for quite some time, and were selling so fast they can barely keep them in stock.

#13 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

And they'll sell even faster as the HR20 release approaches :D

#14 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Any odds on the fact the existing production of HR10-250s will sell out way before the HR20-250 is released?

#15 OFFLINE   YankeeFan

YankeeFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

[quote name='DRSForLife']Looking at the new pricing for equipment,

$499 so I can NOT OWN the box....that's just ridiculous :nono2:

HR20-700 --> HDMI --> Mitsubishi HD1000U DLP PJ (1 TB eSATA RAID)
HR20-700 HDMI --> DVI --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV
Philips DirecTivo --> S-Video --> Samsung 20" LCD

AT-9 Dish
Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switch

#16 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

What's it cost (up front and monthly) to lease an HD DVR from a cable company or Dish?

#17 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

I paid $ 199 for my H20 at best buy.maybe you should just buy your own stuff.and not lease (which I didn't even know Directv does.)I 've been a member for 6 years and i have every receiver I've had since.I signed a 1 year agreement when I first started.I can switch to Cable,Dish Network,or whatever.and sell all my stuff on Ebay,and owe Directv nothing.If you want a rebate then your locked in for 2 years.

#18 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

That price is right.

They've been competing with E* with that higher price for quite some time, and were selling so fast they can barely keep them in stock.

That $499 price is to lease, not own, as it was in the past. IOW, you now pay the same price to lease the HR10-250 as you did to own it in the past. Great deal.. :rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

What's it cost (up front and monthly) to lease an HD DVR from a cable company or Dish?

From Comcast there is zero up front cost and only $9.95 per month. With Dish, it's $299 to lease with a $5.95 per month lease fee.

Hey, if DirecTV can get that out of people, more power to them, but I can't see how they will be competitive with Dish and cable at those prices.

#20 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

More fine print info>>

If you subcribe to a service like HD or DVR and change your mind,or cancel
with the new lease, you have to return the equipment

I say this as I WAS going to buy a H20, by Feb end, activate the HD, get to $200 rebate, get my free three months of HD, { but commit to 2 years TC+] then cancel and hold on to it for future use

but never had good luck gambling>with Powerball> Megamillions and now D*

spam firewall