Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV's LEASING Plan (Effective 3/1/2006)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

From Comcast there is zero up front cost and only $9.95 per month. With Dish, it's $299 to lease with a $5.95 per month lease fee.

Hey, if DirecTV can get that out of people, more power to them, but I can't see how they will be competitive with Dish and cable at those prices.

$499 up front AND a 2 year commitment. I'm guessing here March will be a very slow new sales month.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

I paid $ 199 for my H20 at best buy.maybe you should just buy your own stuff.and not lease (which I didn't even know Directv does.)

The Leasing stuff just started today. You got lucky with timing.

#23 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Thankfully I got my HR10-250 a long time back!

#24 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

I bought a 2nd HD DVR On the 28th, I activated it about 2 hrs before the new lease program started. I didnt qualify for the rebates because I already got the rebates before. But rep gave me a $100 credit on my acct.

#25 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

Looking at the new pricing for equipment,

Leasing equipment ------- Owning equipment
DVR - $99 --------------------------- $349
HD - $ 99 ---------------------------- $ 349
HDDVR - $499 ----------------------- $ 749

FWIW, there is a $100 instant online rebate (currently available through 7/1/06) for HD and HD-DVR purchases, but it looks like this is for new customers only....

http://www.directv.c...bate_prosp.html
-Eric
------------------
SLS5
HR-22
Onkyo TX702
Toshiba CinemaSeries xxxxx

#26 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

I understand that you can still purchase equipment at higher prices than the lease plan up-front cost, so how will D* distinguish between lease and purchase going forward? And if purchase is still possible, if you know, what retailers are selling equipment or is it purchase from D* only? CC and WM are said to be lease only. Weaknees selling or leasing?

#27 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

I was in Circuit City today and they are still selling receivers. However, I noticed that they no longer are offering rebates. The H20 is $99, and the HD-DVR is $499, neither one was showing the rebate that they previously had.

#28 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

CC supposedly went to lease plan, see their website. Maybe the store personnel don't know about it yet.

#29 OFFLINE   robk

robk

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

I'm sorry maybe i am just stupid, but why do you have to pay to lease something? I could see a small fee, but i have to spend 500 bucks not to own something, could someone please explain what my benefit is? and dont tell me i can get a replacement if it breaks..

#30 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

I'm sorry maybe i am just stupid, but why do you have to pay to lease something? I could see a small fee, but i have to spend 500 bucks not to own something, could someone please explain what my benefit is? and dont tell me i can get a replacement if it breaks..

As far as leasing receivers goes, there are some advantages. The first being the one you already mentioned, the replacement receivers.

The second is the upgrades. You mentioned the $500 for the HD-DVR, if you were to get that now, you would get the HR10-250, which is only MPEG-2, so when the HR20 (MPEG-4) comes out in a few months, D* would upgrade you for free to the HR20. (This is what I understood from the training that we received for leasing. There has yet been anything given to CSR's that specifically say that we can upgrade to a newer model at no cost, nor how to do it. That doesn't mean it won't happen. The training that we had specifically said this would be a great option for people who have to have the top of the line technology.) I don't know if they would upgrade the dish at no cost under the lease program, but from what I have heard here on the forums is that most areas are supposed to be installing the Ka-Ku dish with any HD install anyways.

A third reason is lower up front cost for the receivers. Yes I know it is about the same price as it was before 3/1. Compared to the purchase option you have now, it is cheaper than the $749. You also get one $100 mail in rebate for advanced products per year, and the leasing comes with a 2 year commitment. If you do purchase instead of leasing , there is no commitment because you are not receiving any sort of discount.

If anyone else can think of any advantages, please feel free to add them.

#31 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

If my option is to keep owning my HR10-250 vs. trading it in to lease an MPEG4 compatible receiver for "free", I'll keep the Tivo and skip the extra programming. I already get the nets OTA and if and when I switch to another provider, I can still sell my Tivo on E-Bay (providing they don't go the E* route and not allow any HD programming on "legacy" receivers).

#32 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

Ah but you get to pay up front to lease the equipment AND you make a two year commitment. Compare that to cable, no up front and no commitment. DTV will have some lean months until this get's ironed out.

#33 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:26 AM

Or to Dish... lower "lease upgrade fees" and no commitment... unless you opt-in and receive a $49 credit.

DirecTv's numbers have been stagnant for a while... and Dish Network has been closing in on them in market share, this retarded "strategy" for HD will only make that more likely.

In fact I am one of the recent defections... I was a customer for 10 years and converted as many of my friends/family as I could because of my hate for the local cable company, but I recently moved and rather than take DirecTV with me, I decided to try out Dish, and so far I am VERY happy with that decision.

#34 OFFLINE   ETCal

ETCal

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Here's what I found today, March 4th: Costco is now selling the HD TiVo for $430 with no rebate. I called DirecTV and they wouldn't give me a rebate either (I'm already a customer).

Last week I bought an HD TiVo at Costco for $550- $200 rebate. Net cost: $350, or $80 less than the lease price. Plus I also got about $100 in programming credits, for a net net cost of $250.

Difference is that if you now lease an HD TiVo, they'll give you free installation; I don't need any installation. I installed it myself.

DirecTV also said that each store that continues to sell these boxes determines if they're selling them outright or taking part in the leasing program.

#35 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

excuse the cross post but this is where it belongs:

This is what Im seeing for someone that cancels after a month under the new lease program with a new HR10-250 with info gathered by LonghornXP at satelliteguys.com. The matter is currently being reviewed by the Florida AG.

$499 HD DVR reciever upfront lease charge + monthly lease fee
$300 programming termination fee.
-$12.50 (credit for 1 month service)
if you send the reciever back you are out $786.50 bucks and have nothing to show for it

If you keep the reciever:
$499 HD DVR reciever upfront lease charge + monthly lease fee
+ $300 programming termination fee.
+ $470 D* charge for not returning the reciever, and this does NOT dissappear after 2 years
- $12.5 (credit for 1 month service)
= $1256.50 and they can charge you with grand theft according to longhorn's sources

before 2/28 I could get an Hr10-250 off ebay new for around $450 - $200 rebate = $250 dollars with the $300 cancellation fee for a cost of $550 - 12.5 = $537.5 dollars if I cancelled after one month correct? So overnight D* has decided to screw us out of another $700 dollars.

In short to answer the original poster, it benifits D* by extracting an ADDITIONAL 700 dollars from every new HDtivo owner that cancels service.

#36 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

Just playing the Devil's Advocate a bit here, but is this really any different from leasing a car? I realize that a car and a satellite receiver aren't the same thing, but the model seems the same. If you terminate a car lease early, you have to pay off what you owed on the lease and you have to return the car. You also forfeit any down payment that was made. I guess if you don't like the lease model you can just pay the extra $300 up front for the HD DVR and own it outright. What I've read is that if you own it you don't have to pay the monthly lease fee on that unit (hopefully this is the case), but you would have to pay on additional receivers that you have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pay $5 or $10 month with no up front cost and no commitment for a state of the art HD DVR, but I also understand why D* isn't offering that.

#37 OFFLINE   fastep

fastep

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

From Comcast there is zero up front cost and only $9.95 per month. With Dish, it's $299 to lease with a $5.95 per month lease fee.

Hey, if DirecTV can get that out of people, more power to them, but I can't see how they will be competitive with Dish and cable at those prices.

I think the problem is that many DTV customers have a pre-conceived notion about cable and DISH based on cable pq in 1988 and prior DISH dvr problems.

I gave Comcast a try and am very happy with their HD DVR and service.

I recommend to all DTV customers: give HD cable or new dish vip622 a shot. You can cancel with either co if you don't like it and installation should be free. With most cablecos you can cancel at anytime and I believe Dish has no contract with good credit. When I spoke with dish recently, I was told if I did not like the 622 I could send it back at their expense and get a full refund of the $299 upfront lease fee.

#38 OFFLINE   ajseagles3

ajseagles3

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

I liked cable just fine, actually. I got D* for the Sunday Ticket, and that's pretty much it.

#39 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

What I've read is that if you own it you don't have to pay the monthly lease fee on that unit (hopefully this is the case), but you would have to pay on additional receivers that you have.

According to the changeout offer, you do still pay a lease fee on one you own [or what use to be known as "additional reciever fee">>So yes you are correct, still a fee

I also talked to a knowledgeable BB csr this weekend
He said under the old policy [pre2/28} Stores used to buy thier hardware from D* and if they sold a pkg, they would get a kick back from D*

NOW,under the lease program they still buy the hardware, but when a sale is made, D* reimburses them for the agreed upon cost of the hdw

He also confirmed that some stores that have not agreed upon the NEW policy agreement with D*, can sell the equipment at whatever they want but there will be no cashback to them

When asked if it is "owned" he said you have 30 days or until March 30 to activate it or be subject to a fee. He also said this is a way for D* to know if it was owned hdw or leased [because after 30 almost all would be leased]

He also said the only other way around "owned" was if you could prove it was yours and/or previously activated, but maybe not used lately
RC

#40 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

WORD _PLAY

A word that has been used frequently in this industry and on most sites is

CHURN
A issue that providers have that create too frequent turnover rates for subcribers that can easily drop hardware and programming, therefore reducing providers profit. :nono2:

Well, with the advant of D*'s new leasing program and their efforts to reduce "churn", They may have inadvertantly created a new catch phrase word for themselves.:eek2:

CHUM [Most who are into fishing should be familar with this word]

A manner of "attracting" prospective interested parties, with the intent to drag on board, with very slim chances or a fair release.:mad:

Based upon the opinons of many posters, here and abroad, it seems to be pretty acurate, eh?:D
I quess the true test will be the next qtr's figures on new Sub's.

spam firewall