Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV's LEASING Plan (Effective 3/1/2006)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:54 AM

i'm pretty sure there is a 100 rebate for new subs on the R15 and the web site would have more details. Of course you dont own it, thats your 'price of admission' to directv these days.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Scarpad

Scarpad

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

i'm pretty sure there is a 100 rebate for new subs on the R15 and the web site would have more details. Of course you dont own it, thats your 'price of admission' to directv these days.

I'm not a New Customer thou I was with D* for about 5 years before I switched over to cable. Cable in my Area has quite a bit of HD and a HD Compatible DVR but the Prices are Insane I can no longer Justify $200 + a month, so I'll be reactivating my existing account. Problem is my Equipment is very old so I ordered the R15 for starters. Would've gone HD but the Price to get into it is so prohibitive. (Well at least if you want a DVR). Also my Dish is an older dish with a Dual LNB. I wish D* would come into the 20th century an offer connections other Svideo. Like at least a Component Connection.

#83 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:16 AM

i didn't think component was useful except for HD...interesting

#84 OFFLINE   Scarpad

Scarpad

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:35 AM

i didn't think component was useful except for HD...interesting

I guess for Standard Def it would'nt make a whole heck of a lot difference

#85 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

I guess for Standard Def it would'nt make a whole heck of a lot difference

If you are using Svideo, component connection will make a lot of difference. Always use the best connection available to you.
Even at 480p my xbox and my xbox 360 and my dvd player look better via the component connection.
Svideo is just like old..even RCA, with good cables looks as good or better.
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#86 OFFLINE   HDNut

HDNut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

I ordered an HR20-700 from Value Electronics for $299.99, including shipping, and it will be delivered on Thursday, 14 September. Today I emailed the vendor and asked whether that was a purchase or a lease price, and here is the answer I got:

"You can set it up as a lease of owned unit. Your choice. However, if you
agree to the lease you can have your dish upgraded at no charge and get
lifetime free advance replacement warranty and if you own the unit it's a 90
day labor warranty."

According to the above, for the same price, we can either own or lease the equipment. Has anyone else heard this before?

#87 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

I ordered an HR20-700 from Value Electronics for $299.99, including shipping, and it will be delivered on Thursday, 14 September. Today I emailed the vendor and asked whether that was a purchase or a lease price, and here is the answer I got:

"You can set it up as a lease of owned unit. Your choice. However, if you
agree to the lease you can have your dish upgraded at no charge and get
lifetime free advance replacement warranty and if you own the unit it's a 90
day labor warranty."

According to the above, for the same price, we can either own or lease the equipment. Has anyone else heard this before?

Who answered, VE or D*? If it was VE, I would get an answer from D*. But it does sound like normal procedure.

#88 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

Anything "new" purchased after 3/1 is leased. Unless you pay $1000 for the HR20, you dont own it.

#89 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

I talked to D* about upgrading my H10 to an H20 and getting the new dish installed this morning. Quite frankly, the way D* is putting the packages together the whole idea of owning or leasing really doesn't make much difference other than you can't sell a leased unit. If my new unit is going to be used as the primary then the "lease" cost is already in my existing package, at least in the sense there won't be an additional cost. If I use the new unit for my second receiver then there's a $4.99 lease cost but no mirroring cost which would apply if it was an owned unit. So here I'll be with two H20's, one I own and one I rent and I'm going to pay $4.99 for the second unit one way or the other. Not sure I'll ever buy another unit since I'm not much into reselling old equipment anyhow and I typically keep them long enough that they're technically obsolete as it is.

spam firewall