Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How much life left on 942

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

So anyone knows when E* will convert all HD channels to MPEG4? Eventually 942 will become obsolete but when?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:31 PM

There aren't any known plans for such a conversion.. at least none that I have heard - i dare say that anyone who might claim to "know" that isn't employed by E* is just plain wrong. Given the fact that some of E*'s oldest receivers still work and can receive service my bet is that the hard disk will fail before the unit would ever be obsoleted.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Kragt

Jason Kragt

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

I read that they will convert all HD to MPEG4 by April of next year. The fact that they won't even sell the HD Package (unless you are grandfathered) indicates that they are serious about this. They want to get as many as they can to upgrade to the 622 so that they won't have to turn off existing HD channels to customers.

Even after that happens, the 942 will not be obsolete. It will be able to receive SD programming from satellite and record huge amounts of it on the hard drive. It will be able to receive and record OTA HD broadcasts. The only thing the 942 won't be able to do is receive any satellite-delivered HD channels.

#4 OFFLINE   dojoman

dojoman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

April next year seems quite soon for total conversion which means I will also have to upgrade my 811 also.

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Here we go with the speculation.

Fact: Dish has a lot of HD customers.
Fact: Dish just barely released mpeg-4 boxes.
Fact: Dish wants to keep their HD customers.

Bottom line: Dish may, if ever, change all HD channels to mpeg-4 when they have many more mpeg-4 receivers in their HD customers hands.Its just doesnt make sense to upset that many people. April seems like an early estimate. (Where did you "read" that april is when?)

Jon

#6 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

Since this isn't a direct request for support I've moved the thread here..
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#7 OFFLINE   zephyr

zephyr

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

more pure speculation:

If it is a business goal to move to MPEG4 completely in one year, the company incentives (trade-in value, lease deals, etc.) to get customers to return their MPEG2 receivers should increase over time, not decrease. This at the same time that market resale values will continue to go down.

My market (Grand Rapids, MI) is not even on the schedule for satellite HD locals, so except for VOOM and a few other channels, there is not much incentive to take a loss on a six-month-old receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   zephyr

zephyr

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

Since this isn't a direct request for support I've moved the thread here..

where's here? :)

#9 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:45 AM

Here we go with the speculation.

Fact: Dish has a lot of HD customers.
Fact: Dish just barely released mpeg-4 boxes.
Fact: Dish wants to keep their HD customers.

Bottom line: Dish may, if ever, change all HD channels to mpeg-4 when they have many more mpeg-4 receivers in their HD customers hands.Its just doesnt make sense to upset that many people. April seems like an early estimate. (Where did you "read" that april is when?)

Jon

I figure they will time it to about the time all the old HD pack customer's contracts run out. Considering that they were signing customers to 2 year deals under the old package thru late 2005, they probably won't cut totally to MPEG4 until the end of 2007.

#10 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

I figure they will time it to about the time all the old HD pack customer's contracts run out. Considering that they were signing customers to 2 year deals under the old package thru late 2005, they probably won't cut totally to MPEG4 until the end of 2007.

My quess is also 2 years, but I have absolutely no data or theory to back it up. I'm holding on to my 942 for now hoping a better deal will come along in a couple of years. That's assuming I can resist the temptation to aquire a 622...

#11 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

My quess is also 2 years, but I have absolutely no data or theory to back it up. I'm holding on to my 942 for now hoping a better deal will come along in a couple of years. That's assuming I can resist the temptation to aquire a 622...

FWIW, my guess is that it will be a lot longer than 2 years. The reason that they are switching to MPEG4 is because of bandwidth issues. I suspect the move to MPEG4 is to make room for the locals, which means that the current MPEG2 stuff will be a very small part of their HD (50 markets this year @ 4 channels per market = 200+ new channels this year alone compared to the 15 or so in MPEG2). Switching the old stuff over won't gain them much bandwith in relation to their total needs. They'd also be making all of the older receivers nearly worthless. They are probably carrying the leased receivers on their books, and would have to write them off. On top of that, they'll just make existing customers mad. I think they will just keep the current stuff in MPEG2 and let natural attrition get everything switched over. Someday when there are only a handful of 921/942 subscribers out there they may force the issue, but I don't see that happening for a long time (probably 5 years or longer).

#12 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

One of their (e* advance techs, Mark@ 9tk) said "when we bought our 942's we did so for the hd content that was available at that time", mpeg 2.
I don't think they'll pull the mpeg 2 plug anytime soon. If the 942 couldn't get hd satellite content (mpeg 2) they couldn't call it a hd satellite receiver any more. In the 942 we did pay for the top of the line HD/DVR's regardless of how they have now become antiquated equipment, in the hd market anyway.
Now this one seems to change like the weather but at one time actually on 2/24/06 e*'s corporate rep Ruth: tlz said that "they were not going to allow any New hd accounts (mpeg2) with the 942 as the primary hd receiver." In other words unless your Grandfathered in you can't get a 942 activated for hd. So in my mind that and the mpeg 2 limits on the 942 make it already obsolete as a hd receiver. If I buy the 622 I certainly wouldn't need the 942 anymore and anyone else that might use it can only use it for sd tv and the ota hd if they want it and their hd tv doesn't have a ota hd tuner.
I have satellite because I live on the outer banks of NC and there really isn't any ota either sd or hd but my new tv has the ota tuner and I expect most of the new hd tv's will also??
So bottom line what's the 942 worth? Less and less everyday, probably about what their going to offer us for them April 1st $200 maybe a little more depending on how old they are. $$$ OUCH $$$

#13 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

The 942 will be an HD receiver as long as it can receive OTA HD.. Whether you personally are situated to use a 942 as a OTA HD receiver, maybe another question.. Dish may not activate it for HD Content, but they can always activate for any non metal package for SD and you will rely on HD OTA as your HD source.
Norm

#14 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

Please note I said "they couldn't call it a hd satellite receiver any more." Key word being "satellite".

I'm sure e* is contractually obligated to supply mpeg2 but for how long is the real question. They will pull the mpeg 2 content just as soon as they can legally OR after they can legally and their no longer Profiting from it.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

E* is only "contractually obligated" to deliver MPEG2 HD until they stop delivering it. There are people who signed a year commitment to subscribing to the old HD pack ... but if the pack is no longer available (due to being converted to or flagged MPEG4) the commitment ends.

It would be an unpopular business decision but they don't have to continue to provide any channel or set of channels. E* can simply end the availability of the $9.99 HD and $5 Voom packages (which are already not available to new subscribers and cannot be added). E* won't do this for a while because it does not benefit E* to drop the services.

But there is no obligation.

#16 OFFLINE   zeekle

zeekle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

I would say its got life left as a SD DVR reciever. You can record a ton of non hd content on one of them.

Aside from that I dont see a lot of a point in keeping it beyond the earliest install date you can get for the 622 aside from letting bugs get squashed from early release code.

#17 OFFLINE   IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

I dont see a lot of a point in keeping it beyond the earliest install date you can get for the 622 aside from letting bugs get squashed from early release code.

I plan on keeping my 921 for awhile because my monthly rate will go up at least $10. That's $120+ per year for for some new HD channels that I don't want. If I could upgrade to a 942 cheaply, I'd do it because it is a lot more stable than my POS 921.

#18 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

Dish turned off QPSK on HD, it took them a while but they did it. With 61.5 and 129 Dish has capcacity to keep the old channels MPEG-2 for a while before they run out of space to add more HD. I doubt that there will be more than 10-20national HD channels they could even possibly add before the end of 2007.

The only issue would be if they wanted to free up space on 110 for some reason.

#19 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

It would seem like they would have some legal obligation to provide content for the the receivers they've just sold but I haven't read the fine print so the way things are looking on other fronts probably not!
5th dish
Dish© 9+yrs
Sony KD-34XBR960

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

It would seem like they would have some legal obligation to provide content for the the receivers they've just sold but I haven't read the fine print so the way things are looking on other fronts probably not!

In theory they should have the same obligation that you have to stay.

In other words, if you have no commitment to stay with them for XX months... then they have no commitment to you either, beyond that month's payment cycle.

But of course, you can pay to break a commitment early.... and there are situations in the contract that allow Dish to break the contract early as well.

Not unique to Dish... just the way life works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...