Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thread Split: 622 Fan Drive Noise discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

I'm curious about one thing though : does the 622 ever automatically power down its fan and/or hard drive when idle, like the 50x series do ?

I believe I remember a menu on the 622 that allows it to power down after 4 hours of inactivity...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

The inactivity setting places the unit into standby. The 921 had this feature but from what I can see, the 622 adds the ability to inactivity duration. As for spinning the disk down. not sure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

The inactivity setting places the unit into standby. The 921 had this feature but from what I can see, the 622 adds the ability to inactivity duration. As for spinning the disk down. not sure.

With the 921's inactivity setting feature, neither the fan nor the hard disk power off. It is useless.
How quiet is the standby mode on the 622 ? On the 508 it is exactly the same as when the unit is unplugged from the wall - dead quiet.
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

Actually I believe the 921 inactivity feature was added to place the unit in standby so it can reboot in the middle of the night. I would not consider it useless, As to noise, my friend just got his installed on Sunday maybe I can have him take a reading and compare to my 921 in standby mode.

I will see if I can get some numbers to compare if my friend has a noise meter. We are starting to wonder off topic here so if I he does I will post the results and move the our posts to a new thread.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

Ok. I talked to my friend and he did indeed get his 622 on Sunday. He know has 3 dishes instead of two and it sounds like the DPP44 is in short demand. In anycase, since he had a sound meter I asked him to check the sound at both the front of the unit and at the exhaust. Asked him to take reading a few inches from the box.

The readings were

56db on the fan and around 50 db from the frontt.

As a comparision I did this with my 921 and got.

63 db on the exhaust and around 60 from the front.

He did make a comment that the 622 was silent compared to his 6000 and could not be heard when the cabinet door was closed.

Though this is not the most scientific of test , It provides one data point. Irony is I got my sound meter about a year ago after borrowing his meter to configure my HT sound system.

#6 OFFLINE   Canondave

Canondave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

It's so nice to get up in the morning and NOT hear my old 6000 whining away. :D

#7 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Ok. I talked to my friend and he did indeed get his 622 on Sunday. He know has 3 dishes instead of two and it sounds like the DPP44 is in short demand. In anycase, since he had a sound meter I asked him to check the sound at both the front of the unit and at the exhaust. Asked him to take reading a few inches from the box.

The readings were

56db on the fan and around 50 db from the frontt.

As a comparision I did this with my 921 and got.

63 db on the exhaust and around 60 from the front.

He did make a comment that the 622 was silent compared to his 6000 and could not be heard when the cabinet door was closed.

Though this is not the most scientific of test , It provides one data point. Irony is I got my sound meter about a year ago after borrowing his meter to configure my HT sound system.

Thanks, interesting data. Now, was the noise any different when the 622 went into standby or not ?
I don't have a cabinet to put the 622, or any of my 9 HT components . They would overheat and die if I did . All of them are dead silent except the dish receivers. My 508 went into standby since I canceled my dish subscription and is as quiet as if it was unplugged . The 921 is quite noisy however, and I wish it would turn itself off when not recording OTA.
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#8 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

Actually I believe the 921 inactivity feature was added to place the unit in standby so it can reboot in the middle of the night. I would not consider it useless,

Except I almost only watch TV in the middle of the night (it has to be dark for the projector's picture to be watchable, and I'm a night person), so the 921 never gets to do its reboot. It shouldn't have to, anyway.
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#9 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

My receiver sits in the open on a glass shelf under the TV, not inside a cabinet. I don't hear anything from my 622 when it's in standby.

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Except I almost only watch TV in the middle of the night (it has to be dark for the projector's picture to be watchable, and I'm a night person), so the 921 never gets to do its reboot. It shouldn't have to, anyway.

I agree with you it should not have to reboot nightly.. but that is for a different forum and different thread... I also stay up late and with a 4 hours of inactivity before standby it does not help me either. However, just because it does not help me with my use case does not mean the feature is useless in my opinion. Just not useful for me.

I believe I have read some comments that one can adjust the standby period and update periods so that those to features are more useable to late night folks.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

Yep. Easy to configure when the updates will be done. I have my ViP-211 set for 7am.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...