Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I want to get DirecTV but...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RayChuang1654

RayChuang1654

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

I need these questions answered:

1. Can I set the receivers so it automatically switches channels at certain times of the day? That way, I can still use my VCR to record shows.

2. Should I hold off until I find out about what kind of receivers I need for MPEG-4 HDTV reception, since they will start in the Sacramento, CA area next month?

I'm asking here because I don't think the local dealers for D* won't be able to asnwer these questions just yet. :nono:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

Yes the receivers can Autotune channels. The H20 is the only MPEG4 receiver currently available it has been out since October, it is HDTV. If you order HDTV the dealer must install an AT9 5 satellite dish so you will be ready.

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

I need these questions answered:

1. Can I set the receivers so it automatically switches channels at certain times of the day? That way, I can still use my VCR to record shows.

I believe all current non-DVR receivers have autotune (D10, D11 and H20). DVRs do not. I would say double check the online manuals at directv.com, but it has been found the R15 manual is incorrect in that area.

2. Should I hold off until I find out about what kind of receivers I need for MPEG-4 HDTV reception, since they will start in the Sacramento, CA area next month?

The only current receiver that support the MPEG-4 stream is the H20 (non-DVR). The HR20-250 (or whatever it will be called) will also support MPEG-4 when released, mid 2006.

#4 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

Before buying:

1. Present your questions and concerns about local HD to DirecTV (1-800-DIRECTV). (Autotune is what you can set up on standard receivers. I haven't thought to do this on my HD receiver. Warning: Be sure once installed you have really good signal strength. And monitor for a bit the quality on all TVs. I've had some problems since Feb. 7 upgrade installation from a Single LNB to 5 LNB with HD. No resolution yet. Just had someone out who changed the multiswitch; if that's till a problem, we'll have the LNB replaced. Bad weather -- ice -- today in Detroit area. Sorry, I did digress there!)

2. Be aware of introductory packaging -- movie channels, et al., for a specified period of time (it's to your advantage). Monitor the offers that are shown on the weekly advertising pages of Best Buy and Circuit City. And do so at DirecTV.com. (One recent bit: $29.99 for Total Choice Plus, HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. For $48.99, my new-subscribing brother got the Total Choice Premiere package. I'm having a little trouble recalling the HDs, and whether they were thrown in for free, or at an introductory reduced rate, or full rate. Either way, it's a hell of a deal -- and I believe it expired Feb. 28.)

3. Keep checking in here at DBSTalk.com. Great advice from people -- especially the longest-running vets -- who know a lot more than I do. (Advice to you: be in no hurry. Hit a good deal at a good time, with introductory pricing that's appealing, because it's "new subscribers" who are at an advanatage with DirecTV. DirecTV will bend over backwards for new customers.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...