Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Searching for Signal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gboot

gboot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

when replaying previously recorded material, I've been seeing a black screen with the message "searching for signal". It seems to have started happening around the time the 9 day guide problem started. It's nothing to do with the original signal being comprimised and seems to happen when I fast forward or first start playing a recording. Anyone else see this ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

when replaying previously recorded material, I've been seeing a black screen with the message "searching for signal". It seems to have started happening around the time the 9 day guide problem started. It's nothing to do with the original signal being comprimised and seems to happen when I fast forward or first start playing a recording. Anyone else see this ?

Yeah, I have seen that one. I wrote it off as just one more feature of the "every day is a new day" 921 experience. My signal strengths are over 100, the weather during the Olympics was clear and mild, and I still got the "acquiring signal" screen once during most Olympic recordings. But hey, maybe the raccoons have started using my Dish500 as a ski jump.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

By any chance is the recorded program off an OTA channel? I had recorded snips of programs I picked up during skip season (i.e. I was getting out of town tv station signals and recorded what I received). The recordings played back, however after the skip went away the 921 had a hard time playing these recordings back. It wanted to lock onto the live signal (which was gone) before I could see the playback. Each time I played back the recording I would eventualy get the program, but at different moments within the recording. I could attribute this to lost data in the recording, however what is or is not seen changes from playback to playback.

This was back during software version 215. I actually had guide data for a Pittsburgh station in my EPG after the skip was gone. I miss s/w215 :(
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   gboot

gboot

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

The problem continues, last night I started up a previously recorded program and the black screen with Acquiring Signal message appeared for about a minute and then the program started from the beginning. Yes it was an OTA channel but I don't think the problem has anything to do with reception. I'm in an area where I get over 100% signal strength from all of the HD OTA channles I receive. Yes there are problems at times with these broadcasts, pixelation, audio sync complete loss of signal - but not the black screen with acquiring signal.
When I get this message it is either when I start up a previously recorded program or when I'm fast forwarding. To me it seems like the 921's retrieve rate from disk is not keeping up with the broadcast, like it is displaying this message while it is assembling the needed frames.
Is there a disk "defrag" utility for the 921 ?

#5 OFFLINE   Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

The problem continues, last night I started up a previously recorded program and the black screen with Acquiring Signal message appeared for about a minute and then the program started from the beginning. Yes it was an OTA channel but I don't think the problem has anything to do with reception. I'm in an area where I get over 100% signal strength from all of the HD OTA channles I receive. Yes there are problems at times with these broadcasts, pixelation, audio sync complete loss of signal - but not the black screen with acquiring signal.
When I get this message it is either when I start up a previously recorded program or when I'm fast forwarding. To me it seems like the 921's retrieve rate from disk is not keeping up with the broadcast, like it is displaying this message while it is assembling the needed frames.
Is there a disk "defrag" utility for the 921 ?

Good guess about the cause. I got the Acquiring Signal message last night in the middle of an HDNET movie. My hard drive is still pretty full, which would fragment the files. I need to clean it off, but won't have time to deal with it for a week or so. I should go through tonight and just delete half-watched programs that I probably will never get back to.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...