Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is happening?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frobbo

Frobbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

I had a 921 whose HD died. I swapped it out for a new/refurb 921 from E* but it wouldn't boot up. After a service call it was determined it was DOA. The second unit is now doing the same thing. It blinks continuously but won't reset upon unplugging or holding on power switch. It worked briefly then this. No menus are accessable since it was first fired up. I have unplugged everything, left it on, replugged, run sat feeds through a surge protector, fed vid signal directly from unit to tv (instead of through avr) turned on/off etc. Other sat units in house work fine (508 and 4900). Ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

I don't think their QC is very good on the refurb 921's. I had the exact same thing happen to me in January. I had one that was flaking out and they sent me a replacement that would do nothing except fire up the hard drive and spin the fan. No video/audio/prompts etc. They overnighted me a 2nd replacement and it's been working OK (relatively speaking) since then.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#3 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

I had that happen too. Thay told me it must be bad grounding on my system :eek2: (my existing 921s had been working fine for 2 years).

It took some convincing to get them to send out a 2nd replacment (which has been working "fine" for 3 months)....

Remember the last software upgrade? There was a relatively high incidence of dead 921s after taking the download.

I think the 921 is having problems loading the new softare and it's sometimes leaving a corrupted system.

I may get myself in trouble saying this but....

While I was waiting for my 2nd replacment 921 to arrive I took a spare 300 gig HDD and cloned the OS partitions from my other (working) 921. Installed this into the now dead replacment unit....

Low and behold it powered up, completed the HDD initilization, and operated fine for 3 days until replacment #2 arrived and I put it's original screwed up HDD back in.

:new_cussi E* REALLY NEEDS TO RECALL THIS BOX AND LET US GET OUR 622's NOW. In reality we should all quit and take our $$$ elsewhere :flaiming .

Frobbo: I see you're in Thorton. I'm in Centennial (near C470 and University). I could try and help you reinstall the HDD but I can't guarantee anything, and technically it voids the warranty.

Dave
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#4 OFFLINE   Frobbo

Frobbo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

I appreciate the info and the offer but I sent that box back when I got the replacement. Since I haven't got either replacement to boot up I don't want to mess with them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...