Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What happens if I buy the local BestBuy's open-box R10 receiver and activated it now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kathymoore

kathymoore

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

My local BestBuy has two open-box R10 units in stock. One of them is in mint condition... box opened, but everthing else appear to be untouched/unopened. Even the access card is unopened. It's only $49.99, so I'm very interested.

However, if I buy it from them and activate tomorrow, will it become a lease equipment as far as DirecTV is concerned?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

No, because you would have bought it. You can still buy D* receivers, just not as easily and not typically for as cheaply as you could pre 3/1.....

#3 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:26 PM

It might be better in your case to have D* make it part of a lease plan. They will cover it with protection plan and the monthly lease fee will be the same as the additional receiver fee if you own.
I've read that all receivers activated after 2/28 are considered lease by D*'s computer and to get it removed from lease status you have to call and talk to the access card department. But that was for purchase before 3/1 so it's not clear how that they would handle your case.

#4 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

If you purchased you receiver before 3/1, it is considered owned, and you have 30 days to activate it. In your case, it would be considered a leased receiver, since it was purchased after 3/1.

#5 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

If you purchased you receiver before 3/1, it is considered owned, and you have 30 days to activate it. In your case, it would be considered a leased receiver, since it was purchased after 3/1.

I don't think that is definate. You just need to be very clear that you purchased the receiver from a source external to DirecTV. Anything from DTV 3/1/06 and after is a least, that is for sure. Nonetheless, a CSR can say almost anything.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#6 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

ouch

#7 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:10 AM

Just tell them it was bought at retail previously, make sure they send it on up to get it changed from lease to owned (everything now defaults to lease unless it was ordered through D*)

Wrong.....

It's the other way around.

If you buy a receiver from a dealer, it is owned. If you get it from DirecTV, it is leased.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

Call Directv and ask them they are going to be the final determination of the lease agreement, I would go for it becoming a lease but I don't make the determination.

#9 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

I work for D*, and it would be considered leased, because everything that is "purchased" after 3/1 is considered leased. Whether you got it at a retailer, or whether you get it from us. The only way for it to be considered owned is if you purchase it at full price, which would be $349. Since you are only paying $49, then it is considered leased.

#10 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

I work for D*, and it would be considered leased, because everything that is "purchased" after 3/1 is considered leased. Whether you got it at a retailer, or whether you get it from us. The only way for it to be considered owned is if you purchase it at full price, which would be $349. Since you are only paying $49, then it is considered leased.

Well, other folks that also work at DTV have stated the exact oposite. As usuall, it is a roll of the dice with the DTV CSR's when you call...
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

You bought it !! You own it.Directv can say what they want, But as soon as you get the HD package you are locked in for 2 years.If you are keeping the same programming it should be no charge.I bought a H20 HD and for $199 at best buy.Tell me where and when does Directv take ownership of this?When my 2 years are up.Do they take it? COME GET IT !!!

#12 OFFLINE   kathymoore

kathymoore

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

I went back there today to buy that R10. Only one left... I checked the box
and everything was there EXCEPT the access card. The BestBuy guy assured
me that I can get one from DTV.

The strange thing is that my receipt doesn't even show an item name.
It just showed non-stocked / clearance item / misc TV accy.... ??? Don't they
usually scan the UPC/serial/access card numbers on the box? Well, they didn't
do that. The manager just told the cashier to type in $49 and list it as
TV accesories... I paid with cash and left the store...

Not sure what I should tell DTV now...

#13 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Use your old access card from the receiver you are replacing and call to activate. Tell them you purchased it and don't want it leased, unless you do want a lease. You'll probably need to connect phone line to setup and you will have to pay for the PPV stored on the card. There's a possibility that the old access card won't work in the R10 so you'll need to ask them to send you a new one.

#14 OFFLINE   presant

presant

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

I went back there today to buy that R10. Only one left... I checked the box
and everything was there EXCEPT the access card. The BestBuy guy assured
me that I can get one from DTV.

The strange thing is that my receipt doesn't even show an item name.
It just showed non-stocked / clearance item / misc TV accy.... ??? Don't they
usually scan the UPC/serial/access card numbers on the box? Well, they didn't
do that. The manager just told the cashier to type in $49 and list it as
TV accesories... I paid with cash and left the store...

Not sure what I should tell DTV now...

I had a similar situation w/Good Guys - purchased a Hughes HTL-HD w/o an access card to give to a friend w/D*. Told them it was a gift and needed a new access card. Transferred me to access card department and got a new card sent to my friend. Activated the card w/no problems. The card cost $25. Re: the lease vs own decision - not sure what to say.

spam firewall