Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Lease vs Buy Confusion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

If you have read the D* Leasing Executive Summary here, then it would appear that the intention is to go lease only. Since retailers will get commissions only for a lease will this mean HR10 will cost $1000 again even if D* will activate it as "owned"? It might take retailers another month or 2 before they realize that leasing is in their best interest.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

enuf said..........AMEN!

You sure said alot after enuf was said!

#23 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

You sure said alot after enuf was said!

True, very true.

#24 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

I sent a message to Best Buy asking if their web HR10-250 (http://tinyurl.com/cqv5m) is a sale or lease. Here is the verbatum answer:

"Bill,

I am Melanie with Best Buy Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting Best Buy regarding your interest in the DirecTV
Hr10-250 HD DVR.

I'm pleased to inform you that $499.99 is the outright sale price to the
buyer. There is no lease included in this product.

If you are interested in purchasing this item you can give us a call at
1-888-Best Buy and we'd be happy to place that order for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We
look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to
www.BestBuy.com.

Sincerely,
Melanie
Best Buy Customer Care Team"

A supervisor at Crutchfield said exactly the same thing verbally. BB and Crutchfield are not fly-by-night retailers and obviousy know the conditions of their sale. It is DirecTV that seems to be confused about their own policy.

Good Job BILL. If Best buy said you can still buy them,then you sure can. They would know. since the only Satellite they sell is Directv. Thats because you can only lease dish networks junk. ENOUGH SAID!!

#25 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

I sent a message to Best Buy asking if their web HR10-250 (http://tinyurl.com/cqv5m) is a sale or lease. Here is the verbatum answer:

"Bill,

I am Melanie with Best Buy Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting Best Buy regarding your interest in the DirecTV
Hr10-250 HD DVR.

I'm pleased to inform you that $499.99 is the outright sale price to the
buyer. There is no lease included in this product.

If you are interested in purchasing this item you can give us a call at
1-888-Best Buy and we'd be happy to place that order for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We
look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to
www.BestBuy.com.

Sincerely,
Melanie
Best Buy Customer Care Team"

A supervisor at Crutchfield said exactly the same thing verbally. BB and Crutchfield are not fly-by-night retailers and obviousy know the conditions of their sale. It is DirecTV that seems to be confused about their own policy.

DirecTV is not a fly-by-night company either, and last I looked in this forum alone there are 100's of stories of CSRs giving incorrect info. Why would BB or Crutchfields be any different - especially since their pricing matches exactly what the new upfront lease pricing is. I personally think they are incorrect - so if you can get them to sell it to you right now - buy it.

#26 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi everyone - glad I found this place - I might be able to help a little on this topic. I was in Best Buy store today to get some Monster cables - as usual I passed by the DirecTV area to see how they are figuring out all this new stuff.

The video guy told me that they were still pretty confused about all the new policies, but the manager was asked to make a call to their region offices - and in fact they are only leasing (they are calling the money needed upfront an equipment usage charge). They are not selling this stuff anymore.

Requires 24 month promise, and return of receiver if you cancel.

#27 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

I did some more calling to find out from DirecTV what the real policy is. Here is my take on it after reading the Executive Summary and speaking with about ten DirecTV CSR supervisors.

There are many retailers who bought equipment under the old sales plan. Not all of these retailers will be staying with the new lease only plan. Those retailers can sell that equipment at any price they feel is fair. However, any new DirecTV equipment orders will be on the lease-only plan.

These retailers are SELLING the old plan equipment and DirecTV will honor a request to activate that subscriber-owned equipment as owned equipment. This includes new subscribers who unknowingly buy new DirecTV equipment outright from a retailer who SELLS that equipment.

So, if your want to BUY any of this "old-plan" equipment you can get it activated and keep the equipment because you own it. DirecTV wants everyone to lease equipment rather than buy it because they often gave equipment away to new subscribers who did not stick around for long and turned around and sold that "free" equipment on eBay.

In my own case I paid top dollar for all of my DirecTV equipment starting in 1994 when it cost about $1500 just to get started. As DirecTV came out with new services I stayed on the bleeding edge paying hard-earned bucks for every piece of equipment including $1000+ for a new HR10-250.

It makes no sense to pay DirecTV $499 for a leased HR10-250 when Crutchfield will sell be the same unit for the same price. If I get it from DirecTV they keep the unit. If I get it from Crutchfield, it is mine to keep and resell after I get the new leased MPEG4 HD-DVR.

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

If I can still purchase, new or used, and activate a "owned" receiver, how is D* going to keep track of which receivers are "leased" and which are "owned" for activation eligibility?

Using a contrivance known as a database, they can keep track of serial numbers. You may already know that D* will treat anyone who owns (or otherwise obtains) a receiver with a balance on it very poorly. This is just one of the uses.

Is D* going to keep track of serial numbers and designate as "owned" or "leased"?

They've been doing it since the very beginning!

Or will D* refuse to active receivers with a "owned" status after 3/30/06 which seems to be implied from the Solidsignal Equipment Lease Program Information?

Not as long as the receiver doesn't have a balance owed.

I don't think anyone will argue that they terms are exceedingly vague. The key is that only D* knows for sure what they meant and seeking clarification from anyone else isn't going to get you very far.

#29 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Some additional information from a Crutchfield supervisor today. She read me the Crutchfield instruction regarding the DirecTV lease-plan. The mandatory lease-only plan is for basic receivers not the "advanced" DirecTV products that Crutchfield offers. All DirecTV equipment sold by Crutchfield is on an outright sales basis, not lease. That policy remains in force. Other retailers who offer non-advanced DirecTV products after March 1 must do it on a lease basis.

#30 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

Some additional information from a Crutchfield supervisor today. She read me the Crutchfield instruction regarding the DirecTV lease-plan. The mandatory lease-only plan is for basic receivers not the "advanced" DirecTV products that Crutchfield offers. All DirecTV equipment sold by Crutchfield in on an outright sales basis, not lease. That policy remains in force. Other retailers who offer non-advanced DirecTV products after March 1 must do it on a lease basis.

Hate to say it, but you sound obsessed. And according to your first post you are only considering getting this. How many calls would you make if you were really gonna go ahead and but it?

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

it is mine to keep and resell after I get the new leased MPEG4 HD-DVR.

The concern I have is what kind of upgrade offers on new equipment you might get being an owner versus a lessor. I can see D* offering lessors an incremental upgrade ($99?) while charging owners the full $499 to "buy in" in which case they get their $499 out of you anyway. There is more than one way to skin a customer.

#32 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hate to say it, but you sound obsessed. And according to your first post you are only considering getting this. How many calls would you make if you were really gonna go ahead and but it?

I am less than enthusiastic about DirecTV's so-called lease plan. They want to charge people the street price as an equipment fee. If they were to use the same plan most cable companies use it would be fair. Unfortunately I am trapped because our local cable company (Time-Warner) has no plans to upgrade Barstow's 7000 subscriber system any time soon. No HD plans at all. DirecTV and Dish Network are my only options. No such thing as OTA in Barstow.

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

They want to charge people the street price as an equipment fee.

Street price is what you can buy it for this instant. You may no longer be able to "own" a unit for $499. For E*, the difference on an MPEG4 HD DVR between lease entry and buying is $400 (699-299; 5.56 years of lease fees). My guess is that some retailers will continue to sell receivers, but at a much higher price because they are no longer getting kickbacks.

Quoting catalog prices isn't the same thing as buying.

#34 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Not only that but since this DVR you are so interested in is not MPEG4 compatible, it ain't gonna have ANY resale value by mid-07 or so - since ALL the HD stuff will be migrated by then (or close to then) who would buy it anyhow?

Now that you found out you can buy it - are you going to?

#35 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Not only that but since this DVR you are so interested in is not MPEG4 compatible, it ain't gonna have ANY resale value by mid-07 or so - since ALL the HD stuff will be migrated by then (or close to then) who would buy it anyhow?

Hey man - that's true - why would anyone with AT9 MPEG4 capability even want to get that old DVR technology when the new one is out in a matter of months. I think he just wanted to start a meaningless discussion - if you aren't gonna get it lease OR purchase - the cost is the same = ZERO. The day the new box comes out the older one will have little or no re-sale value anyway. Also, I think the new one will only be available by lease anyhow.

#36 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

You sold me on it! I ordered it from Crutchfield. Thanks for all the inputs.

#37 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hey man - that's true - why would anyone with AT9 MPEG4 capability even want to get that old DVR technology when the new one is out in a matter of months. I think he just wanted to start a meaningless discussion - if you aren't gonna get it lease OR purchase - the cost is the same = ZERO. The day the new box comes out the older one will have little or no re-sale value anyway. Also, I think the new one will only be available by lease anyhow.

I pulled the trigger on a HR10 back in Dec. Back when there were deals for the getting. Net cost on mine was about $50. I'm in Phoenix and can get all HD stations OTA with a RS antenna sitting on top of my equipment stand. I'm not planning on any MPEG4 until more national HD channels are added or existing national HD channels are converted to MPEG4.

Given that, with the current lease program, if I were to get a HR10 today I would lease.

EDIT: Oh, I'll also have to disagree with your stance on the resale value an HR10 once the new HD DVR from DTV once it's released. Just watching eBay the values of old Series 2's DTivos and R10's has gone up due to the problems being experienced with the R15. Plus, everyone seems to forget the HR10 can function fine as a DVR with OTA HD signals and MPEG2 HD or SD DTV channels.

#38 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

Remember it is still a dual tuner OTA Tivo HD DVR. Plus it will still be able to record non MPEG4 channels. There is still a value even after the MPEG2 HD feeds are gone.

#39 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

Exactly my thoughts, Wolffpack. Still capable of OTA and MPEG2 HD -and- SD. Definitely won't just become a doorstop, as some seem to think - not for me anyway.

#40 OFFLINE   ScoB

ScoB

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

I pulled the trigger on a HR10 back in Dec. Back when there were deals for the getting. Net cost on mine was about $50. I'm in Phoenix and can get all HD stations OTA with a RS antenna sitting on top of my equipment stand. I'm not planning on any MPEG4 until more national HD channels are added or existing national HD channels are converted to MPEG4.

Given that, with the current lease program, if I were to get a HR10 today I would lease.

EDIT: Oh, I'll also have to disagree with your stance on the resale value an HR10 once the new HD DVR from DTV once it's released. Just watching eBay the values of old Series 2's DTivos and R10's has gone up due to the problems being experienced with the R15. Plus, everyone seems to forget the HR10 can function fine as a DVR with OTA HD signals and MPEG2 HD or SD DTV channels.

Guess what..........ALL of you are right. Because in this situation to each his (her) own - whatever suits you. As much as I try to imagine though, I can't think of why I would need more than 1 DVR in my house though.

Oh and BTW Bill Wood - glad I could be of help - you were a bit undecisive there for a while. LOL.

I just checked ebay - you're right, there is a R10 going for 29.99 in about an hour. http://electronics.s...ZR41QQsacatZ293

spam firewall