Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Lease vs Buy Confusion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

Hey Bill Wood - I find it amazing how you refuse to answer any posts in YOUR thread.

BTW - newegg.com NO LONGER sells (or leases) ANY DirecTV products. Obviously they have sold out their old stock. BB only leases stuff now, care to chime in again?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey Bill Wood - I find it amazing how you refuse to answer any posts in YOUR thread.

BTW - newegg.com NO LONGER sells (or leases) ANY DirecTV products. Obviously they have sold out their old stock. BB only leases stuff now, care to chime in again?

Are you sure about that? Check this link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882150003 In stock. Limited to 20 to a customer.

#128 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

Check this link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882150003 In stock. Limited to 20 to a customer.

Note the customer reviews by BPZ06 and the one below his indicates that they thought they were buying but it turned out to be a lease. The NewEgg ad mentions nothing about it other than calling the packaging "Retail" and noting that you must be a DirecTV subscriber.

I'm betting that this NewEgg offer is going to turn out to be a bad deal within the next three or four months. I'm seriously concerned about not being allowed an upgrade until the 24 month commitment is over.

I still have high confidence that the HR20 will be a much lower lease entry price and it will be considerably more future proof.

#129 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

Are you sure about that? Check this link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882150003 In stock. Limited to 20 to a customer.

On the date it was posted it was 100% accurate, I am sure of that, and if you have been reading there were many many similar posts.

BTW, you didn't respond to the part about you being wrong about BestBuy. Why is that? Read your posts from back in April from this thread - or beter yet, if you like I'll just post quotes.

#130 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

HDImpatient,

While I find your input informative, could you please take your feud with Bill to PM rather than dealing with it in the public threads? I know I run the risk of raising your ire toward me, but that's not what I'm trying to do. It just seems that any time Bill does post, you bring up the "didn't respond" thing.

Thanks.

#131 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

HDImpatient,

While I find your input informative, could you please take your feud with Bill to PM rather than dealing with it in the public threads? I know I run the risk of raising your ire toward me, but that's not what I'm trying to do. It just seems that any time Bill does post, you bring up the "didn't respond" thing.

Thanks.

I can assure you Bill has posted a great number of times without any comment by me. That being said - I have no interest in communicating with him any longer anyhow. Thanks for your input though.

#132 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationN.E North Carolina

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

No need to keep re-hashing what appears to be a "dead subject". The thread needs to get back to "Topic" or it's "Closing" is imminent.

-Donnie-

#133 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Newegg had run out of stock and removed from web site. They now have more stock.
http://www.tivocommu...ad.php?t=303298

#134 OFFLINE   RalphArch

RalphArch

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Lease question for a newbie / service protection plan. I don't really understand what happens if the equipment I am leasing fails.

The service protectiom plan indicates I will get it fixed no charge - understand that part; but if I don't get the plan what is the status of this equipment? I have a two-year commitment to the service but not to the particular equipment. Just send it back? - with hopefully no charge? And order whatever replacement I want at the current prices for leasing?

Or just drop down in service level with that reduced fees and hopefully no further fees on the failed equipment?

So it seems to me the service plan is worth little except avoiding an initial lease charge fee.

Is my understanding correct?

#135 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

I don't have a good answer for you Ralph. If you're leasing why do you need the protection plan? If your leased unit goes bad it should be replaced under the lease. Yet as I understand it DTV charges leased folks and owned folks the same amount for the protection plan.

Personally I see some sort of law suite coming out of this yet to be totally defined lease structure DTV implemented. Many folks are getting screwed.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#136 OFFLINE   RalphArch

RalphArch

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Sort of got a similar answer for the call I got yesterday from DirectTV to see if all was well with the service. CSR said good question but had to go ask someone else for the answer and I never got a clear response as to what I would be getting for the extra fee (relative to just leasing w/o plan). I knew any necessary service calls would be covered versus the $30 or so fee - but I couldn't imagine its that likely that I would need a visit after the initial setup.

If it was clear what you are getting and the value was clear I might consider signing up - but when the reps aren't even clear on the situation -

#137 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

My understanding of the leased equipment is that only the receiver/DVR is covered for problems. Strictly the unit (IRD) itself. Under the protection plan, everything is covered from the dish all the way down to the remote. If you lease and there is a problem with the dish or cabling or multi-switch, it will cost you for a service call and any of those pieces that need repair or, more likely in this case, replacement.

Under the protection plan, a problem with the dish, etc, would be covered at no additional charge - including the service call.

Kind of like getting a service contract at BB or CC on an air conditioner, for instance. If nothing goes wrong then it might seem like a waste of money. If there are problems, however, it could save a lot of money in the long run.

#138 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

My understanding of the leased equipment is that only the receiver/DVR is covered for problems. Strictly the unit (IRD) itself. Under the protection plan, everything is covered from the dish all the way down to the remote. If you lease and there is a problem with the dish or cabling or multi-switch, it will cost you for a service call and any of those pieces that need repair or, more likely in this case, replacement.

Under the protection plan, a problem with the dish, etc, would be covered at no additional charge - including the service call.

Kind of like getting a service contract at BB or CC on an air conditioner, for instance. If nothing goes wrong then it might seem like a waste of money. If there are problems, however, it could save a lot of money in the long run.

But if you're leasing and have problems with a receiver, why would you have to pay for a service call until DTV determines the problem is with your dish and or multi-switch? Plus, if I'm a new customer since March 1st, then my dish, multi-switch and receivers are all leased. Why should I have to pay any type of protection plan in that instance? Bottom line here is that DTV didn't do their homework and hasn't educated their CSRs at all as far a leasing goes. Seems they want all of the benefits of a lease program, but none of the costs.

"Welcome to our lease program where you pay up front for the equipment you don't own and sign a 2 year agreement to stay with us. Oh, but if you don't want us to charge you to repair the equipment you're using but we own, you may want to consider paying us an additional $5.99/mo." Strange.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#139 OFFLINE   pappys

pappys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

"Welcome to our lease program where you pay up front for the equipment you don't own and sign a 2 year agreement to stay with us. Oh, but if you don't want us to charge you to repair the equipment you're using but we own, you may want to consider paying us an additional $5.99/mo." Strange.

Well put!
HR20-700 (conected to plasma via receiver)
HR21-100, Connected to LCD in Bedroom and via component to my plasma in my bedroom.
HR20-700
H20
Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch
AT9 Dish
Hitachi Plasma TV.
Sony BDS-350 Blu-ray player.

#140 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

I suspect that for lease subscribers it covers the non-hardware related portions: free or limited cost on-site visits, free shipping and priority support access. The fact that lease subscribers pay the same amount and get "less" coverage is somebody's idea of marketing genius. Of course we're assuming that the protection plan still offers an extended warranty on purchased equipment.

#141 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

Yes it does, and don't forget that you own the dish, wiring and any multiswitches needed to distribute the sat signal. That's a lot of expensive equipment that may have to be replaced sooner or later.

#142 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

Yes it does, and don't forget that you own the dish, wiring and any multiswitches needed to distribute the sat signal. That's a lot of expensive equipment that may have to be replaced sooner or later.

Do you own the dish and switches if you're a new subscriber since March 1st?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#143 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Do you own the dish and switches if you're a new subscriber since March 1st?

Yes. That is one rational for hitting you with the $150-$300 if you leave before the commitment is up. Any problems with that stuff and you have to negotate with DTV for a low cost fix, or pay what they ask -- or more likely, just fix it yourself.

The boxes are the only items leased. All the rest is still "yours." Just like if you upgrade to MPEG4, they don't want your (old) dish back. If you ask them to take it they will, but that is just the installer taking out the trash for you and not part of the lease program.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#144 OFFLINE   tomcat11

tomcat11

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:12 AM

I purchased an H20 receiver from an on-line retailer in July. They advertised "own your own equipment" No lease agreement. Unfortunately I was unaware of this and other message boards at the time therfore unaware of the change to the lease only deal that D*was converting to. I activated it a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Now I have to wonder if my status is owned or leased?

My Question is having not asked to be owner activated can D* tell from my serial number or access card mumber if this is the old equipment with "no balance due" and therfore automatically set me up as owner activated?

#145 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:45 AM

I purchased an H20 receiver from an on-line retailer in July. They advertised "own your own equipment" No lease agreement. Unfortunately I was unaware of this and other message boards at the time therfore unaware of the change to the lease only deal that D*was converting to. I activated it a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Now I have to wonder if my status is owned or leased?

My Question is having not asked to be owner activated can D* tell from my serial number or access card mumber if this is the old equipment with "no balance due" and therfore automatically set me up as owner activated?

No, by default they will set you up as leased. You may want to call DirecTV now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...