Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Lease vs Buy Confusion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

Yes it does, and don't forget that you own the dish, wiring and any multiswitches needed to distribute the sat signal. That's a lot of expensive equipment that may have to be replaced sooner or later.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

Yes it does, and don't forget that you own the dish, wiring and any multiswitches needed to distribute the sat signal. That's a lot of expensive equipment that may have to be replaced sooner or later.

Do you own the dish and switches if you're a new subscriber since March 1st?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#143 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Do you own the dish and switches if you're a new subscriber since March 1st?

Yes. That is one rational for hitting you with the $150-$300 if you leave before the commitment is up. Any problems with that stuff and you have to negotate with DTV for a low cost fix, or pay what they ask -- or more likely, just fix it yourself.

The boxes are the only items leased. All the rest is still "yours." Just like if you upgrade to MPEG4, they don't want your (old) dish back. If you ask them to take it they will, but that is just the installer taking out the trash for you and not part of the lease program.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#144 OFFLINE   tomcat11

tomcat11

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:12 AM

I purchased an H20 receiver from an on-line retailer in July. They advertised "own your own equipment" No lease agreement. Unfortunately I was unaware of this and other message boards at the time therfore unaware of the change to the lease only deal that D*was converting to. I activated it a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Now I have to wonder if my status is owned or leased?

My Question is having not asked to be owner activated can D* tell from my serial number or access card mumber if this is the old equipment with "no balance due" and therfore automatically set me up as owner activated?

#145 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:45 AM

I purchased an H20 receiver from an on-line retailer in July. They advertised "own your own equipment" No lease agreement. Unfortunately I was unaware of this and other message boards at the time therfore unaware of the change to the lease only deal that D*was converting to. I activated it a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Now I have to wonder if my status is owned or leased?

My Question is having not asked to be owner activated can D* tell from my serial number or access card mumber if this is the old equipment with "no balance due" and therfore automatically set me up as owner activated?

No, by default they will set you up as leased. You may want to call DirecTV now.

spam firewall