Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AT9 Mounting Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

I have a few questions about mounting an AT9 5 LNB Antenna

I need to put it in my yard, in the ground, due to trees there is no way it can go on my house. I currently have a 3 LNB Dish installed on a Pressure Treated beam that is in the ground in cement that I put there 3 or so years ago.

Can I just put an AT9 where the existing dish is? Do I need a bigger post? Is there a mast that I can buy that is preferred for this unit?

As for wiring, the current dish has 2 RG6 cables that go from the post to the house and they run underground. Will I need to run additional cables in the ground, or can I put the switch on the pole/post?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Larry_Rymal

Larry_Rymal

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

You can use your existing pipe, but you'll need to sleeve it so that it is about 2 1/8" OD or so, or install an adapter.

Assuming your RG6 coax is in good shape, you should be able to use this. My old coax was in horrible shape and I used it until I decided it was time to just replace it.

#3 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

The size of the AT9 dish support pole is 2.00 inched outside diameter. The dish is larger and heavier that the old dishes. It needs to be firmly mounted to prevent the Ka-band pointing drifting off. Most people mount a 2 inch pipe in the ground with concrete below the local frost line. If your present wooden post is large and can not be moved back or forth, it may do the job.

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

Treated post cemented post in the ground is perfect. I'm form Northeast PA and the only problem I had with my post(In 6 years)is The big Ice storm in 2005. Tree branch for about 30 feet up fell on the dish and ripped the lag bolts right out of the post.THe dish was done.the post never moved.I went to a local retail shop and buy new dish next day($49.99) and put it right back up.I was watching tv in less then 24 hours... Cable was out for 11 days.so I guess you could say it wasn't the post!

#5 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:20 PM

The size of the AT9 dish support pole is 2.00 inched outside diameter. The dish is larger and heavier that the old dishes. It needs to be firmly mounted to prevent the Ka-band pointing drifting off. Most people mount a 2 inch pipe in the ground with concrete below the local frost line. If your present wooden post is large and can not be moved back or forth, it may do the job.

Exactly....Just to add... the AT-9 is 32 lbs. "light", with a (roughly) 25"X29" reflector, so be SURE that post can't move...if you can, bracing the dish support with monopoles wouldn't hurt....;)

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

Exactly....Just to add... the AT-9 is 32 lbs. "light", with a (roughly) 25"X29" reflector, so be SURE that post can't move...if you can, bracing the dish support with monopoles wouldn't hurt....;)

Maybe use through bolts.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...