Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do Multiswitches work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TMullenJr

TMullenJr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

I'm curious how multiswitches work. I have a triple LNB (w/4 outputs) that was going to Samsonic ASK4485T 4x8 multiswitch. The input side has 2 inputs for the 101 sat & 2 for the 110/119 sat.

I've been having problems with my R15 coming up w/ searching for sat signal intermittantly on the tuners.

As a test, I took 2 of the inputs & ran them directly to my R15, and it seems to have resolved that issue, so I guess my multiswitch is the culprit.

I left one of the 101 inputs & one of the 119/110 inputs on the multiswitch hoping the other receivers would still be functional. I am getting some of the channels, but not all.

Also, can anybody recommend a new multiswitch (and where to get) to replace my current one?

Also, after I install the new multiswitch, is it possible to place a 2nd multiswitch after it? I have 2 cable runs to my living room, and would like to split the signal in the living room to go to 2 dual tuner receivers.

Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

LNB and MULTISWITCH FAQ's

7. What is a multiswitch? A multiswitch takes the input from both of the LNB's (both cables from a dual LNB dish HAVE to be connected to the multiswitch)...it then locks one of the LNB's to always look at the even transponders and the other LNB to always look at the odd transponders. This is why a multiswitch only works with Dual LNBs and not single LNB's. The switch then has multiple outputs to receivers (4,8,etc). When you connect the receiver to the multiswitch, the switch determines which of the two LNB's the receiver needs to look at depending if it needs to view odd or even transponders. When you change the channel, the switch then swaps your connection to the other LNB when needed. With a multiswitch, the LNB's never change which side they are looking at.

11. Can I connect two Multiswitches together (cascade one to another) to add more connections? Well, that really depends. If you are using an 18" Dual LNB dish, then you could "cascade" two switches together....so you could take a 2x4 switch and have 2 of the outputs feed the inputs of another 2x4 switch to give you a total of 6 outputs. There are many issues that you have to be aware of though....length of cable, quality of multiswitches and whether they are powered or non-powered may affect whether or not this will work. If you have an 18x24" elliptical dish, it is a little more complex, but can be accomplished. As mentioned above, the receiver will send a 22khz tone to tell the multiswitch that it wants the 119 degree satellite. This tone is only used by the multiswitch and is not sent back up to the LNB's....if you have two 4xn switches connected or a 4xn multiswitch connected to the built in multiswitch on a dish, the "2nd" one will never tell the "1st" one that it needs to see the 119 so the receivers connected to the "2nd" one would ONLY see the 101 satellite. There are switches designated as "cascadable" that WILL send that 22khz tone upstream, thereby allowing you to connect it in series with another multiswitch (such as a built in one on the dish). These are more expensive than non-cascading models. The other way is to get "tone generators" which go on the two cables designated for the 119 satellite. They go inline between the two multiswitches (or between dish and multiswitch if you have the built in multiswitch on the dish). These tone generators are about $10-$15 each and they put the 22khz tone on the line so that the 1st multiswitch (or built in one) sees the tone and puts that line over to the 119 satelllite.

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

This is one multiswitch I have used without any problems.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

I've been having problems with my R15 coming up w/ searching for sat signal intermittantly on the tuners.

As a test, I took 2 of the inputs & ran them directly to my R15, and it seems to have resolved that issue, so I guess my multiswitch is the culprit.

Good test, and a temporary solution to your problem.

I left one of the 101 inputs & one of the 119/110 inputs on the multiswitch hoping the other receivers would still be functional. I am getting some of the channels, but not all.

You need both cables connected to the 101 inputs in order to get all of the channels on the 101 satellite.

You need both cables connected to the 110/119 inputs if you are getting programming from those (some cities local channels, some foreign language programming, some HD programming).

You can get away with only using two inputs (the 101 satellite) if all of your channels come from that satellite (but if that is the case, you would not need the triple LNB dish).

Also, can anybody recommend a new multiswitch (and where to get) to replace my current one?

Also, after I install the new multiswitch, is it possible to place a 2nd multiswitch after it? I have 2 cable runs to my living room, and would like to split the signal in the living room to go to 2 dual tuner receivers.

Thanks for your help.

You can cascade multiswitches, but for it to really work properly with the triple LNB dish, you need to have all 4 lines from the dish to the first multiswitch, and 4 lines from the first switch to the inputs of the second switch, which gives you a total of 12 outputs available.

For the most part, a multiswitch is a multiswitch. However, I recently ordered the least costly 4x8 I could find, and had problems, so replaced it with a Terk 5x8 which is working fine. On-line is going to be more cost effective than local retail.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...