Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct TV HD questions.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmy350z

jmy350z

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ok, I am the new guy here and have a few questions. I am in NJ. I just moved into a new apartment. I have the Sony 60" SXRD television set. In my old house,this was before I had the Sony set,we had Direct TV. Now This is my 1st HD television set. I would like to get Direct TV HD. Are there any receivers that are better than others? Would Sony happen to make a HD Direct TV receiver? I want to get the best possible picture I can get with my new television set.Thanks for the info

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dreamyip

dreamyip

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

Unless you go witha DVR... D* TV only has two HD receivers - H20 and H10 (older one).

#3 OFFLINE   jmy350z

jmy350z

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

Sorry about that,I should have put that down. I am interested in getting a DVR.What are my options?

#4 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

The only HD DVR right now is the HR10-250.

#5 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:45 PM

Sorry about that,I should have put that down. I am interested in getting a DVR.What are my options?

At the moment, the only HD DVR is the older TiVo based model, the HR10-250. That one is an MPEG2 receiver. D* is currently bringing your local channels in HD online. But those will require an MPEG4 DVR receiver. That won't be available until mid 2006 (I think). It will also require a new dish. Now, if you're lucky enough to receive your locals in HD via an OTA antenna, you can use the HR10-250 DVR to receive them.

It just depends whether or not you want to spend the money now on the HR10-250, only to have to switch to the new DVR later. You could get the H20 which is a non-DVR MPEG4 receiver and upgrade to the new DVR later (which is not TiVo based).

#6 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

For what it's worth, I love my Tivo based HD-DVR, and I won't be changing to the D* HD-DVR unless all its bugs get worked out.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#7 OFFLINE   LazyLarry

LazyLarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:02 AM

Could someone tell me if I have the H20 dish will I still get my locals in HD if I use my HD DVR?

#8 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

Could someone tell me if I have the H20 dish will I still get my locals in HD if I use my HD DVR?

Local HD channels are only available on MPEG4 receivers. The H20 is MPEG4, the HR10-250 is not. This is unless you're referring to the East Coast and West Coast national HD feeds which currently are MPEG2.

So if your locals are NY or LA, yes your HD DVR will work. If not, no it will not work.

#9 OFFLINE   georgewells

georgewells

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationHayden,Idaho

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

I would like to get some opinions on the purchase of a D* DVR.
On the net -- New - unused HR10-250 's are going for $350 to $425.
Since the HR10-250 has a MPEG 2 Receiver and the talked about new DVR (in maybe 6 months ) from D*Will have a MPEG 4 receiver (that I guess I will need if I ever get HD Locals in Spokane,WA) should I shy away from the HR10-250 and wait for an updated unit ?
Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   dan8379

dan8379

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

I would like to get some opinions on the purchase of a D* DVR.
On the net -- New - unused HR10-250 's are going for $350 to $425.
Since the HR10-250 has a MPEG 2 Receiver and the talked about new DVR (in maybe 6 months ) from D*Will have a MPEG 4 receiver (that I guess I will need if I ever get HD Locals in Spokane,WA) should I shy away from the HR10-250 and wait for an updated unit ?
Thanks

That's a tough decision to make (and one that I'm also faced with) because not enough info has been provided by D* on how they will handle swap outs. There have been assumptions that if you have an HR10-250 that they will swap out either for a lower cost or free of charge to the new HR20-250, but nothing has been said about that officially. That's why I'm going to wait.

#11 OFFLINE   LazyLarry

LazyLarry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

What kind of 8-way splitter do I need for the H-20. Is it a specific type? Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

What kind of 8-way splitter do I need for the H-20. Is it a specific type? Thanks.

With the AT9 dish and MPEG4 the only multiswitch that will work is the Zinwell WB68, from other posts here on this forum.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...