Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Surround vs DD vs DD5.1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:52 AM

I know I'm flogging an old horse, and I know that the content providers AND D* both share the blame - but - it still annoys me! There are just too many shows & movies that say "Surround" in the giude, but are not broadcast in DD, OR are broadcast in DD but are not 5.1 surround! The guide is nearly useless as a giude for this - why can't they simply tell us when something is actually DD5.1? Prologic surround just doesn't cut it!

Thank you - I feel better... :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

There is a flag indicating DD 5.1 viewable when you press INFO while a show is playing. The DD Logo on the right side. Not right on the guide but you can get to it.

Actually, I thought in the past I have seen a DD Logo in the guide just like the HD logo but it doesn't seem to be there now.

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

I thought the only shows in DD5.1 are the movie channels. I only get really great sound with HBO shows like Deadwood, Sopranos and other movies.

#4 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

I thought the only shows in DD5.1 are the movie channels. I only get really great sound with HBO shows like Deadwood, Sopranos and other movies.

True, most anchor premium (HBO East & West, etc) and PPV channels have the DD 5.1 feed, but many more advertise they are "available" in 5.1 since they also broadcast in HD. The only way we will have more DD 5.1 programing with DTV is to get the HD boxes...and even then the 5.1 is not a given.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#5 OFFLINE   BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:50 AM

There is a flag indicating DD 5.1 viewable when you press INFO while a show is playing. The DD Logo on the right side. Not right on the guide but you can get to it.

Actually, I thought in the past I have seen a DD Logo in the guide just like the HD logo but it doesn't seem to be there now.

As far as I can tell, the DD logo in the info box does NOT mean DD 5.1 - it means Dolby Digital. Not all DD shows are DD5.1 - some are DD without the 5.1 surround channels. It is rather annoying to watch a movie that I *know* has great 5.1 sound effects that has had the audio compressed to only the front channels, even though it shows the DD logo in the info box.

#6 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:13 AM

hey i found an on topic thread to finally ask my question: I have an older receiver that only has surround (it can't be 5.1 if it's from the early 90s right?). It sounds pretty darn good to me when i have the speakers placed correctly (depending on room setup at that time, i could have minor issues with that)

So can anyone quantify how much better 5.1 is supposed to be that everyone always wants it? The guns blazing by my head etc all sound just fine with me today. I can't understand how 'better' it could get.

#7 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

Under my experiance with surround Vs DD5.1

With surround sound, they just duplicate the signal from the front speakers to the rear, creating a delay

With 5.1 each channels is assigned a separate sound source
Example

A jet is flying at you on the sreen from the right
You first hear the jet from the front right speaker
as the jet passes you out of the tv view, you hear it from the right rear speaker
now lets say the jet bangs a U-E and comes from behind you from the left
you hear it from the left rear speaker
and as it passes back onto the tv screen from the left
you then hear it out the left front

pretty cool, eh

#8 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

So can anyone quantify how much better 5.1 is supposed to be that everyone always wants it? The guns blazing by my head etc all sound just fine with me today. I can't understand how 'better' it could get.

It's kind of like this. You are currently driving around in a Kia, but don't know why everyone wants a BMW because they both do basically the same thing. Drive you from point A to point B.

DD is much more than than the "echo" effects of the old pro logic or standard surround sound units.

#9 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:18 AM

As far as I can tell, the DD logo in the info box does NOT mean DD 5.1 - it means Dolby Digital. Not all DD shows are DD5.1 - some are DD without the 5.1 surround channels. It is rather annoying to watch a movie that I *know* has great 5.1 sound effects that has had the audio compressed to only the front channels, even though it shows the DD logo in the info box.

The bare minimum for dolby digital is 5.1. There is nothing less than that.

What brand and model receiver do you have?

#10 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Anytime I've seen the DD Logo my receiver is in 5.1 mode.

#11 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

? From Dolby's website:
http://www.dolby.com...h_overview.html

Dolby Digital
Delivers mono, stereo, or up to 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and low-frequency effects (LFE). Global standard for DVD-Audio and DVD-Video. Digital audio standard for North American HDTV, digital cable, and DBS systems. Optional audio format for most digital video broadcast (DVB) applications worldwide.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

That statement isnt even close to accurate as DD can contain anything from 1 to 6 channels, then you have the variations like DD-EX above that.....of course now that the new lossless DOlby is on the way, things evolve once more....

#13 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

? From Dolby's website:
http://www.dolby.com...h_overview.html

Dolby Digital
Delivers mono, stereo, or up to 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and low-frequency effects (LFE). Global standard for DVD-Audio and DVD-Video. Digital audio standard for North American HDTV, digital cable, and DBS systems. Optional audio format for most digital video broadcast (DVB) applications worldwide.

That statement isnt even close to accurate as DD can contain anything from 1 to 6 channels, then you have the variations like DD-EX above that.....of course now that the new lossless DOlby is on the way, things evolve once more....

Actually, the statement was somewhat accurate. I guess I shouldn't have left it so broad. A program that is broadcast in DD is being broadcasted in 5.1. It depends on your equipment as to how it actually gets decoded from digital mono, stereo, etc., up to 5.1. Hence the "what brand and model receiver" question.

DD does not broadcast 6 surround sound channels. On a 6.1 or 7.1 system, the receiver itself combines the rear surround channels to come up with the extra surround channels. Sound for the left rear comes from the LR, sound for the right rear comes from the RR. And sound from both rear come from the center rear.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

5 + LFE(.1) makes six channels, so yes DD is 6 channels....

In D*'s case, there are usually only 2 cases if a show is in DD, its either DD2.0, or DD5.1, and it has nothing to do with what brand and model of receiver(STB or AVR) you have, as long as they are both DD capable units.....

YOu CAN choose to have the newer more advanced AVR's take that DD2.0, or DD5.1 signal and create a different soundfield like DPLII, or DPLIIx out of the signal if you have it setup that way....

But as far as the DD signal from D* is concerned, there is no such thing as 6.1 or 7.1, thats all created on your AVR form teh original 2.0 or 5.1 source it is receiving. Maybe thats what you are trying to say, but to me at least isnt very clear.

#15 OFFLINE   muledoggie

muledoggie

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

this is a "General D* Discussion" question?
--

GO Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, Aggies
Hello to friends of Bill W.

#16 OFFLINE   BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

OK, after a little more careful observation, you are right - if it has the DD logo on the right side of the info, it is in DD5.1 - BUT - there seems to be many times when the guide TEXT will say "Dolby Surround", but the show will not have the DD logo in the info and the signal is not in DD5.1. There are also shows that will have a starting screen that will say "In Widescreen and DD Where Available", but do not have the DD logo in info and the signal is not DD5.1.

For example, I recently watched "Enemy Mine" on HBO. The guide text says "Secondary Audio, Spanish, Dolby Surround" and HBO had a splash screen at the start that had a DD logo and said: "In Stereo and Surround Sound Where Available". The DirecTV signal I am getting is NOT digital dolby and the DD logo is NOT lit on the right side of the info screen. That's annoying.

#17 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

I know what you're saying. It is annoying that D* doesn't bradcast the shows that say "available in DD" the way they should be. I understand that it takes added bandwith or whatever, but if you are making the claims that you are an industry leader, you should back those claims up. I can understand if it was a new technology, but DD has been widely available since around 1993 or so.

My Onkyo unit does convert the very basic "Dolby Surround" into a pretty convincing simulated 6.1 surround, but it shouldn't have to. Those actual signals should already be there.

spam firewall