Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Am I correct in assuming that everyone will be forced to pay $$$ to lease new HD DVR?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kathymoore

kathymoore

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:20 AM

It's only a matter of a few short months before DirecTV's own HD DVR will come out.(from what I've heard anyway) It's safe to assume that it'll cost $500, if not more.

Will every new and current DirecTV customer be forced to pay that much to buy and then lease the new HD DVR? I guess they'll also let you buy to own, but that'll add at least another few hundred dollars to the price.

Let me do the math here... I got two HDTVs in my home.(a 24" in the kitchen and a 40" in the basement). If I want HD DVRs, I'll have to pay at least $1000 up front... wow.... :(

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

The only question that is up in the air for me right now is whether there will be any kind of "swap out" deal for the HR10-250s.

As it is, I do very well with OTA locals (I have two HR10-250s), so it would have to be a great deal for me to switch soon. The Minneapolis area is one of the next group to be rolled out for HD locals, but until there is a lot more than locals in MPEG4, I will most likely stick with the HD TiVos I've got now.

Kind of drifted there. "Will every new and current DirecTV customer be forced to pay that much to buy and then lease the new HD DVR?" Pretty much, yes. Unless D* does a decent swap for $0.00 or a large discount/minimal charge on the HR10-250s.

#3 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:57 AM

Will every new and current DirecTV customer be forced to pay that much to buy and then lease the new HD DVR?

The lease fee is for the equipment itself. You will not have to lease the equipment that you purchase, but you will have to pay a mirroring fee (or whatever they will call it) just like today. You own the equipment, but still have to pay a mirroring fee for each receiver beyond the first one.

#4 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

The only question that is up in the air for me right now is whether there will be any kind of "swap out" deal for the HR10-250s.

As it is, I do very well with OTA locals (I have two HR10-250s), so it would have to be a great deal for me to switch soon. .

I hope the less informed people in your situation realize this also. If you have good OTA, there is simply no reason to ditch the Hdtivo until they turn off mpeg2. But I can see some uninformed shmuck running to get a new dvr to have the latest and greatest and pay 500 for it :)

I guess that's why they have those other 'features' that will only be avaliable in the new receiver, to try to pry the hdtivos from our cold fingers

#5 OFFLINE   zortapa

zortapa

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

I don't understand why most people expect that the upfront lease fee for the HR20 will be "$500 or more".

D* is currently offering new lease customers the HD DVR (HR10-250) for $399 (after a $100 online instant rebate). I find it extremely difficult to believe that D* will change the offer when the HR20 is rolled out.
-Eric
------------------
SLS5
HR-22
Onkyo TX702
Toshiba CinemaSeries xxxxx

#6 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

I don't understand why most people expect that the upfront lease fee for the HR20 will be "$500 or more".

D* is currently offering new lease customers the HD DVR (HR10-250) for $399 (after a $100 online instant rebate). I find it extremely difficult to believe that D* will change the offer when the HR20 is rolled out.

The $100 rebate offer will eventually end. Then the price will be $499. It's safe to say that the new unit will probably cost the same or more than what is already out there. That's where the "$500 or more comes from."

#7 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

$400, $500 either way you won't own the unit. That is alot of money for not being able to own it.
56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

#8 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

$400, $500 either way you won't own the unit. That is alot of money for not being able to own it.

It might be less painful if you think of it as a monthly lease fee. Prorated over 2 years it's a little over $20/mo. D* does not charge a monthly lease fee on the first receiver, and $4.99/mo each for those 2 or more.

Yes, before we would own it but we also were responsible for fixing it after warranty expired. I've been paying $7.99/mo for the protection plan and if I were leasing, I wouldn't pay that.

#9 OFFLINE   floridaguy

floridaguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:34 AM

The HD-DVR equipment cost was a major factor in my decision to leave D* - many of the cable companies supply an HD-DVR for NO/NADA/ZERO equipment cost. I don't care if they own it, I'm the one using it. It will record local HD broadcasts, something the D* equipment will not do. Yes, both D* and cable charge a monthly service fee for the HD-DVR, but zero cost versus several hundred dollars up front for the equipment may be a consideration to many.

#10 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

If they do not swap us HDtivo owners out at little or no cost, D* is gone like a hot rock from this household. I am an 11 year customer but this new leasing BS is just that, BS. Never thought I'd see the day that Cable is cheaper. But its here. :eek2:

#11 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

I'm curious, to those leaving, I'd love to know what your new boxes are like. I'll be OK until they turn off mpeg2 and my 2 tivos go off. But as long as tivo works, I have to say i'd pretty much pay anything they dreamed up. I'd even pay the 500 'fee' for a new tivo if i had to but thankfully I dont (i'd even pay cash to fix these boxes up).

My position is based on what i've read about the new dvr on here as I have no 1st handed experience. But that many folks can't be wrong right?

#12 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

I'm curious, to those leaving, I'd love to know what your new boxes are like. I'll be OK until they turn off mpeg2 and my 2 tivos go off. But as long as tivo works, I have to say i'd pretty much pay anything they dreamed up. I'd even pay the 500 'fee' for a new tivo if i had to but thankfully I dont (i'd even pay cash to fix these boxes up).

My position is based on what i've read about the new dvr on here as I have no 1st handed experience. But that many folks can't be wrong right?

People who dont have problems dont post!! So its kinda lopsided

#13 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

Well here is my deal on this topic. When this HD-DVR came out I bought it from Circuit City for $999. So whenever this swapout thing happens I am going to make a big fuss that I get to own this new HD-DVR. Cause if I spent a grand for the first one I damn well better own this new one. I will be willing to pay $200 for the new HD-DVR, if that means I can own the thing. I just bought a new r15 from best buy going to see about activating it tonight and tell them to put it down as an owned DVR. My buddy got one yesterday and told he bought it retail and the put hos down as owned.

So if you but them retail and not directv the lease thing should not apply!

rdowdy95

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Sorry Rdowdy, but you are not buying it when you pay the retailer $99 or whatever under DirecTV's new policies. Those are subsidized prices - the actual cost to manufacture is somewhat higher. I think the "retail" price of an R15 to own is something like $399 (maybe $299). This change went into effect on March 1st.

You do own your old HD-DVR. You won't own any new or replacement one unless you spend a LOT more money.

Now I'm not saying this is right, or that I agree with it, or that people are happy about it. But I am saying it is fact - anything new you get from DirecTV now is leased not owned.

Carl

#15 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

Sorry Rdowdy, but you are not buying it when you pay the retailer $99 or whatever under DirecTV's new policies. Those are subsidized prices - the actual cost to manufacture is somewhat higher. I think the "retail" price of an R15 to own is something like $399 (maybe $299). This change went into effect on March 1st.

You do own your old HD-DVR. You won't own any new or replacement one unless you spend a LOT more money.

Now I'm not saying this is right, or that I agree with it, or that people are happy about it. But I am saying it is fact - anything new you get from DirecTV now is leased not owned.

Carl

Hey Carl you are absolutely right. I talked to some nice CSR's tonight about it, and I figure I will make out about the same anyways. The guy I talked to pretty much said yeah you still own it, but unofficially. Like if I sold this thing to someone on eBay already used by me they would charge me that full price for it on my account.

He said though to lease it is like $5 a month for the r15. Since I cancelled my old Hughes one off the accout that I was using as an extra I was paying $5 for like an extra receiver fee. So I asked the guy would I get chrged $5 for the extra receiver fee for the R15 he said no, just the $5 lease fee. So that is practically the same amount. Atleast that is what it seemed like they were saying. If that is the case it is actually better I believe. Cheaper receiver plus with lease they will replace any damage that might happen to it.

Does that sound right???

#16 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

rdowdy95,

There is a $4.99 monthly charge for ANY receiver after the first one on an account - it is just listed as "additional receiver charge" on owned equipment and "lease fee" on leased equipment, but it is the same thing.

The leased equipment is covered for damage that is not inflicted by the customer. I do not believe that extends to the dish, cabling or anything other than the actual receiver itself.

#17 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:59 AM

The leased equipment is covered for damage that is not inflicted by the customer. I do not believe that extends to the dish, cabling or anything other than the actual receiver itself.

Correct.

#18 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

If they do not swap us HDtivo owners out at little or no cost, D* is gone like a hot rock from this household. I am an 11 year customer but this new leasing BS is just that, BS. Never thought I'd see the day that Cable is cheaper. But its here. :eek2:

I sent a Letter to my State Attorney General about this. This is the answer I got a few days later.

Dear Mr. Tyler:

Attorney General Crist requested that I respond to your complaint regarding
DirecTV. Our office has concluded our investigation into this company so
we are now forwarding your complaint to them asking for a response.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our office’s attention.

Sincerely,

Jack A. Norris
Special Counsel

#19 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

Yeah I kept asking the CSR last night. I said well if I am doing the lease on the R15 I made sure they would only charge me the $4.99 once for that receiver. And not a mirroring fee on top of that. So $5 for an additional receiver leased or owned is fine with me. If it is leased atleast if my hard drive goes out or something they will replace it.

Thanks guys for all the info. Once they come out with the new HD-DVR I am going to call them to come put the AT9 dish up so I can have me some MPEG-4 HD BABY!!!!

I am too cheap to put up the OTA for my current HR-250.

Thanks,

rdowdy95

#20 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

how far are you from the towers? Even a cheapo can sometimes get away with a coathanger or other rig :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...