Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Am I correct in assuming that everyone will be forced to pay $$$ to lease new HD DVR?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   iamme4everup

iamme4everup

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:16 PM

if you look at their pdf file, the cost to directv to get the dvr is 500 this year and next year will cost them 400 and will continue to slide down lower, BUT customer has to pay either directvs actual cost to LEASE the reciver PLUS a ridiclous lease fee on top of it

and they own it, meaning they profit from the sale, profit from the lease fee, and profit in getting it back, to lease to others

directv is supposed to be a service , not a hardware company

and the mirroing fees, most cable companies have stopped that,directv should too..

i think it is 8insane the lease fee only covers the reciver, i mean come on, it does not cover the remote or the wires in the box, and not the dish or wires directv installed

now if i did my own installs, own dish wires / wheeaver, then i can see we would be on are own for repairs

have the package cost you pay each month be the only fee you pay

and in advertising brag, no hidden fees, what you pay, 1 fee gets you service, dvr, protrection of bad ewuipment
soi there are no tack on fees

:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

I really doubt that DTV will charge 500 bucks. I mean I really wouldn't be that surprised if they did, because they aren't always rational, but I don't think they will. The main reason I think they won't is because of what the competition is doing. Dish Network is offering new customers their HD DVR for 300 bucks to lease, and their non DVR MPEG4 HD box for a 100 bucks. Neither come with rebates if I'm not mistaken. And as mentioned in earlier posts, cable companies are offeirng HD DVR boxes with no massive upfront charge but of course a montlhly fee which is fairly reasonable, about 15 bucks in my area. I just read an article in Media Week magazine pointing out that both Dish and DTV have reported pretty steep declines in new subscribers for last few months of 2005. Knowing this I can't imagine they would charge that much. But as I said, you never know. Right now I am a DTV customer and I really want to upgrade to the HD Tivo but I can't get a deal from DTV. They want to charge me 500 bucks for the HD Tivo box that will be obsolete soon and don't understand why I don't think its a great deal. I read this and other forums so I am fairly aware of whats going on, but they seem to treat me like an idiot when I say I don't think its a good deal. They give me that scripted bull about how paying the few hundred bucks up front is better than cable because you ended up paying more in the long run. Thats just crap, and do they think all of their customers can shell out the big bucks. There's a huge diffeence between paying 15 bucks a month and 500 bucks all at once, but they don't seem to get that.

#23 OFFLINE   alorarosalyn

alorarosalyn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

$500? No, Directv is not going to charge that much for the new hr20. Same price as the current one. And to correct something that I saw,even if you have leased equipment, if you need a service call, you are still going to pay the $70 for it unless you have the protection plan. If your leasing, keep the PP, otherwise your going to get super pissed if, god forbid, you do need a service call.
Replacements are free, cept for the shipping and handling, so that is nice. :)

#24 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:45 AM

$500? No, Directv is not going to charge that much for the new hr20. Same price as the current one. And to correct something that I saw,even if you have leased equipment, if you need a service call, you are still going to pay the $70 for it unless you have the protection plan. If your leasing, keep the PP, otherwise your going to get super pissed if, god forbid, you do need a service call.
Replacements are free, cept for the shipping and handling, so that is nice. :)

So far 3 of your posts carry false information, including some propriety information that would get you fired if D* found out.

Are you paying attention? The current HR10-250 is $500. So yes, the new HR20-250 will probably be the same price.

Please, if you are going to post here, at least make sure you know what you are talking about.

#25 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

So far 3 of your posts carry false information, including some propriety information that would get you fired if D* found out.

Are you paying attention? The current HR10-250 is $500. So yes, the new HR20-250 will probably be the same price.

Please, if you are going to post here, at least make sure you know what you are talking about.

So, can you identify what parts of the false information is proprietary? Or does D* consider it's pricing information to be proprietary? No wonder it is so hard to get information out of D*, especially if they consider what they are charging to be a trade secret.

#26 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

So, can you identify what parts of the false information is proprietary? Or does D* consider it's pricing information to be proprietary? No wonder it is so hard to get information out of D*, especially if they consider what they are charging to be a trade secret.

The pricing is not what I was talking about. I was talking about information that alorarosalyn posted in another thread.
In this thread, alorarosalyn is just showing their ignorance:

$500? No, Directv is not going to charge that much for the new hr20. Same price as the current one.

Since $500 (ok, $499) is the price of the current HD-DVR, this sentence makes no sense and shows alorarosalyn's ignorance of the facts.

#27 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

If DirecTv wants to have a chance of keeping me as a customer they better not try and charge me $500 plus a leasing fee if/when I upgrade to an MPEG4 DVR. That might actually push me back to Comcast, especially if/when Comcast gets TiVo in their HD DVR boxes.
$500 dollars and I won't own the box? That's just crazy. at least there is no upfront fee like that with cable. I would actually consider it for TiVo, but the HD DVR would have to be extremely good to justify that.
56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

Protected By... spam firewall...And...