Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lease agreement with all movers connects.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

I went to the office yesterday and picked up the new lease agreement forms that everyone will have to sign. As I was reading the instructions about when we need the customer to sign the agreement, one thing jumped out at me.

It says that we have to get the customer to sign the agreement on a movers connect. THIS IS JUST PLAIN NUTS!!!

I can already see customers getting pi$$ed, and rightly so, when I show up trying to get them to sign a lease agreement for equipment that they have already OWNED for a year or more.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

I think that makes some twisted sense. I think the Dish and the Multi-switch would now be leased since you don't bring them with you and D* sends out new ones. I don't think it would extend to there equpiment. But I can see how someone might get upset and think that. That would suck if you Cancel D* and then have to take down your dish and send it back too.

#3 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

I went to the office yesterday and picked up the new lease agreement forms that everyone will have to sign. As I was reading the instructions about when we need the customer to sign the agreement, one thing jumped out at me.

It says that we have to get the customer to sign the agreement on a movers connect. THIS IS JUST PLAIN NUTS!!!

I can already see customers getting pi$$ed, and rightly so, when I show up trying to get them to sign a lease agreement for equipment that they have already OWNED for a year or more.

Agreed. I can understand DTV's posture of leasing with deadbeats who don't pay them then hawk their equipment on ebay. But, for the rest of us who actually pay our bills -- horrible customer service.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#4 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

I'm pretty sure that Dtv doesn't keep tabs on what you have that is leased and what is not. It's my understanding that once you sign the lease agreement, ALL of your equipment is now leased.

I may be wrong about that, but that is how it was explained to me.

As for to cover the cost of the dish, that's what the extended commitment should cover, not the new lease agreement.

#5 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

This sounds illegal. How can they force you to transfer ownership to them?

If this applies only to the movers program where D* pays for the install then I guess there is a choice, pay or lose ownership.

It's my understanding that once you sign the lease agreement, ALL of your equipment is now leased.

I believe they will have to keep track of what is "owned" and "leased" just like E* does. Otherwise D* is going to be in court as defendants of unjust enrichment.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

Lets not jump the gun since noone here seems to know for sure...If you move, they can't just take ownership of your long ago purchased gear....but they could do a lease on the dish and the multiswitch if you needed one...people sell alot of those on eBay as well.

It seems ridiculous all this sky is falling crap being posted without all the facts.....

#7 OFFLINE   todcox

todcox

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

From the Movers Connection of the D* web site:

"To qualify, all you have to do is commit to one year of any TOTAL CHOICE® programming."

I am particulilarily interested in this topic since I purchased and activated an HR10-250 in February then did a Movers Connection. The installation was SUPPOSED to happen on 2/27 but D* screwed up the order. So the installation was complete on 3/2 (at 10 p.m...long story). I did sign a couple of documents but I do not think any were Lease Agreements. I will have to check once I am home Thursday.

#8 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

Lets not jump the gun since noone here seems to know for sure...If you move, they can't just take ownership of your long ago purchased gear....but they could do a lease on the dish and the multiswitch if you needed one...people sell alot of those on eBay as well.

It seems ridiculous all this sky is falling crap being posted without all the facts.....

Oh no. Let's all grab the pitch forks and torches and head off to El Segundo and circle DirecTV's HQ! :D :D

If it is true, it is a lousy policy.

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Why don't you just move your own stuff and there will be no problem .I took my dish down, moved to my new house,put my dish back up,and called directv gave new address!!! DONE!! They never said a word about anything.I had a different zip code .I told them what it was ,and they updated all my local channels for my new area .They did not make me sign for 12 or 24 months .I'll do the same again If I happen to move.

#10 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

Why don't you just move your own stuff and there will be no problem .I took my dish down, moved to my new house,put my dish back up,and called directv gave new address!!! DONE!! They never said a word about anything.I had a different zip code .I told them what it was ,and they updated all my local channels for my new area .They did not make me sign for 12 or 24 months .I'll do the same again If I happen to move.

Yea, me too (and I did the last time I moved 5+ years ago).

But my 60 year old mother? I'm not sure I want to be up on the roof of her three story house with the pitch of that roof! Then again, I don't think she'll really care about a lease as she has not spent a bunch of money on DVR's...

Then again, she will be very upset when she finds out she needs to pay up-front for a "leased" DVR in addtion to the monthly fee, and return it when she moves again... Oh well, it is just TV, and money.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

3 storys up ??? I couldn't get directv put my dish up 1 story. You must have alot better Directv guys in your area. and your right 60 year old mother's should not be on roofs. But Directv shouldn't be taken atvantage of that !

#12 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

3 storys up ??? I couldn't get directv put my dish up 1 story. You must have alot better Directv guys in your area. and your right 60 year old mother's should not be on roofs. But Directv shouldn't be taken atvantage of that !

She has not yet had DTV activated and I've only seen the pictures. The one dish clearly was an older "Dish" variety but she swears that the other one is for DirecTV (hopefully it is lined up well and has cables that come into the house). I told her don't do anything until I can drive out and give it a look.

Hopefully I can take care of it myself, but some folks don't have people to help out. But I do appreciate your comments :) . Perhaps this weekend I can figure out what is going on with that house.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,019 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

and your right 60 year old mother's should not be on roofs.

So is it the 60 part (which I passed by a while ago), or the mother part (wrong gender in my case) that concerns you? I see no reason why either should be a factor in and of itself. I see a lot of 20 somethings and 30 somethings waddling their overweight out of shape bodies around that have no business being on a roof or ladder. That would concern me much more than a fit 60 year old woman doing it (like my wife).

Heck, my 87 year old mother mowed her own lawn until last year.

Carl

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

So is it the 60 part (which I passed by a while ago), or the mother part (wrong gender in my case) that concerns you? I see no reason why either should be a factor in and of itself. I see a lot of 20 somethings and 30 somethings waddling their overweight out of shape bodies around that have no business being on a roof or ladder. That would concern me much more than a fit 60 year old woman doing it (like my wife).

Heck, my 87 year old mother mowed her own lawn until last year.

Carl

Thanks for you imput. Maybe you should work for directv. Ps. I was only answering a question. I wasn't calling anyone over weight. And I wouldn't let my 87 year old mother mow her grass!!:nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...