Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Difference between buying from e* or a Dish dealer ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:46 PM

What's the difference between buying from e* or my local authorized Dish dealer?
I'm told if I had bought my 942 from e* things would be different, Why ?

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
Sony 34" XBR
Dish© 9+yrs

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

I don't know why or even if it would be any different...

But the difference is the same as buying at Target instead of direct from the manufacturer.

An authorized reseller is authorized to resell... this does not make them the original manufacturer. Sometimes buying direct has advantages, sometimes it costs more to buy direct.

I remember when Creative Labs (make sound cards for computers, among other things) talked me out of buying direct from them one time many years ago! They talked me into buying at a retail store.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,306 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

IIRC E* has some policies that protect their retailers. If you buy through a retailer they get credit for the sale. Any changes made to the sale that could affect the credit they get should run through the retailer.

Deals done direct only affect E* ... changes after the fact don't affect some dealer's credit for the sale.

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Some of the DISH upgrade deals are only available through DISH or from the retailer you initially used when you signed up for DISH. That original retailer may continue to get a residual from DISH as long as you remain subscribed with his equipment. Another retailer might be able to actually supply the receiver and do the work, but they don't because they won't get reimbursed by DISH since they aren't the original retailer. I wouldn't think the dealer for the 942 would be your original dealer (3700/4700 dealer more likely) but I'd be willing to bet that the $99 622 after $200 rebate is only available through DISH or the retailer you bought the 942 from. There are exceptions if the retailer you bought from is no longer in business. Just possibilities.

#5 OFFLINE   ken310

ken310

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

I signed up by phone and had never even been in my local (35 miles away) dealer until e* told me to check with them for a 942. It was $100 less at $602 + tax, $644.14 on 11/25/05. Since then I've got to know the owner, but all I did was buy it from him I upgraded my programing on the phone with e*. After he paid his tech to update the software and ? he actually lost money selling it to me.

2x 510's
2x 4700's
3x 3700's
etc, etc, etc
5th dish 3/8/06
Sony 34" XBR
Sony STR-DE898+
Dish© 9+yrs

spam firewall