Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just activated HR10-250 from Ebay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mdfuller

mdfuller

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

I know some of you guys and gals are curious about this whole leasing fiasco. I just bought a hd dvr on Ebay and had no issues activating it. Just make sure they mark it as owned. Just an FYI. If you are a lease hater like myself I suggest you go buy one before they disappear.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

I know some of you guys and gals are curious about this whole leasing fiasco. I just bought a hd dvr on Ebay and had no issues activating it. Just make sure they mark it as owned. Just an FYI. If you are a lease hater like myself I suggest you go buy one before they disappear.

Good to know. The thing about the HR10-250 I love the most, as long as you get decent OTA HD, is you can use it forever. MPEG4...whatever.

Now if I could get anything other than PBS in OTA HD.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

I don't ever plan on dumping my Hr10. I get all OTA stations and once DTV dumps all MPEG2 HD channels it is still a SD Tivo and HD OTA Tivo.

#4 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

I wonder what happens if you buy a lease box off ebay? D* will probably charge the other person the fee for not returning it and then try to tell you that you have to pay a lease fee to active it too, even thought they have payed the non-return fee, which would make it an owned until.

I think I'd be careful buying any currently sold by D* off of e-bay now.

#5 OFFLINE   purwater

purwater

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

I'm looking at the HD Tivos on Ebay myself, but I'm wondering what happens with the whole lease mess. Maybe the 3/31 grace period will allow for activation as an owned unit until all the wrinkles are fixed.
Directv HR24-100, HR24-500, & H25.

#6 OFFLINE   dcmustang00

dcmustang00

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

I wonder what happens if you buy a lease box off ebay? D* will probably charge the other person the fee for not returning it and then try to tell you that you have to pay a lease fee to active it too, even thought they have payed the non-return fee, which would make it an owned until.

I think I'd be careful buying any currently sold by D* off of e-bay now.

Once a receiver is considered "non-returned," it is now owned by the person who didn't return it.

Be sure to tell us you bought it out-right and we can make it owned.

Disclaimer: This may change at any time.

#7 OFFLINE   muledoggie

muledoggie

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Good to know. The thing about the HR10-250 I love the most, as long as you get decent OTA HD, is you can use it forever. MPEG4...whatever.

Now if I could get anything other than PBS in OTA HD.

... and cheap disk/recording space upgrades

Jeff
--

GO Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, Aggies
Hello to friends of Bill W.

#8 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

I don't ever plan on dumping my Hr10. I get all OTA stations and once DTV dumps all MPEG2 HD channels it is still a SD Tivo and HD OTA Tivo.

Will they turn off SD mpeg2 at the same time as HDmpeg2? didnt know so figured i'd ask. Heck if this will always pick up SD, the HDtivo can't possibly have been a bad investment.

I was thinking it would just be a 5 dollar OTA tivo.

#9 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

I can't imagine the SD MPEG2 feeds being converted to MPEG-4 anytime in the next2-3 years if then. That would involve replacing EVERY receiver.

EDIT: Opps, added "converted to MPEG-4"

#10 OFFLINE   kay

kay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:23 PM

Once a receiver is considered "non-returned," it is now owned by the person who didn't return it.

Be sure to tell us you bought it out-right and we can make it owned.

Disclaimer: This may change at any time.

hmmm...

#11 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

i think you need to get the serial number and call directv...it's the only way to ensure you can activate it.

spam firewall