Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Good experience at Circuit City

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AL904a

AL904a

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 06:32 AM

I was a little reluctant to go to a large electronics chain-store for purchase/installation of an XM receiver in my car. After comparing prices, installation times, etc. I (somewhat reluctantly) went to my local Circuit City (Jacksonville, FL, Regency Store) yesterday. An extremely professional installation team installed a Pioneer BEXFM903XM receiver with a Terk antenna in my van. They estimated 1.5 to 2 hours installation time. It actually took about an hour. The installation manager, a very knowledgeable young woman, spent some time with me to determine the best place to mount the remote on my dash, best location for the antenna, etc. She advised me to go back into the store to register online using one of their display computers to save $5 on the registration fee.
I was completely happy with the whole experience! Now, I'm looking for excuses to drive places to listen to my XM radio. Also, Circuit City has a promotion offering free installation. My total cost, including sales tax was $299.59. I submitted a $30 rebate coupon to Terk, bringing down my total cost to $269.59.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 07:23 AM

I actually find myself driving slower now so that I can listen to my XM. Sad isn't it? :D

#3 OFFLINE   dlsnyder

dlsnyder

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 12:15 PM

Here in SoCal you don't need another excuse to drive slowly. The 91 freeway is all you need. :D

Seriously though, yesterday I made my first sighting of a car with a satellite radio in it. It was a Toyota pickup with the antenna on the dashboard as AL904a says his was. Is that going to be the standard installation now? I thought the glass would attenuate the signal too much. How many have had experience with this and how well does it work?

(BTW for the year or so that XM has been available, out of all the thousands of cars that I see each day on the freeway I only just saw one yesterday with it - THAT's sad! Sad that it wasn't mine!)

#4 OFFLINE   AL904a

AL904a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 12:22 PM

My remote is installed on my dash. My antenna is installed on the top, rear of my Toyota van. That Terk antenna actually blends in with my dark gray/black roof rack, and is easy to miss.

#5 OFFLINE   Lindycpl

Lindycpl

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 04:24 PM

AL904a,

Check out www.rebateshq.com. There are several $50 rebates available on the Pioneer XM tuner. Look under XM Radio in the dropdown for Manufacturers.

#6 OFFLINE   AL904a

AL904a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:51 AM

Thanks, Lindycpl, I ran across that additional rebate after my original post. (That deal keeps getting better!)

spam firewall