Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recent activity now shows leased receiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chachster

chachster

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:01 AM

I got in on the free DVR (refurb) last month. The DVR I received (DVR40) had issues crop up and I called and they sent me a replacement (R10) (The one I received was activated around 2/6/06 so was within the 30 day replacement period)

From the DTV website the replacement order was on 2/26/06

I received this replacement 3/1/06, called in to disconnect the defective unit and activate the replacement.

I check under view activity since last bill and now see:

3/1/06 Leased Receiver Amount $2.33 Tax $0.17
3/1/06 Additional Receiver Disconnect Adj Amount $-2.33 Tax $-0.13

I called DTV and was transferred around and the rep stated that she saw that I 'own' all of my equipment.

Should I call back in and see what the next rep would say? Should I wait until I recieve my next bill to see how it sorts out? The replacement was sent out before 3/1/06 which starts their leasing structure, however this was a purchased receiver and within the 30 days to get a replacement.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

It is likely just the terminology they use in the activity log and you still are marked as "owned". You might want to call again and ask for the access card department and ask to see if you are marked as "owned". That department is one of the only ones that can change the status if it is wrong.

#3 OFFLINE   chachster

chachster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

Here is what I received back in regards to my leasing question. I guess replacing an owned receiver and because I received it March 1 that it is now considered leased. This makes no sense. Any suggestions on how I should proceed or is this just what I am stuck with. This doesn't make sense to me. I buy a receiver, have it replaced under the 30 day warranty and don't receive it until March 1 so I now lease it?

DTV's response:
Thanks for asking about our lease program. Current customers who upgrade or add a DIRECTV receiver after March 1, will lease that equipment from DIRECTV instead of buying it.

In this case, you received a DVR replacement. However, the replacement receiver still falls under our leasing policy.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV’s will still apply. The only differences for you are that:

1. You will no longer need to purchase equipment when you add receivers or upgrade your DIRECTV system.
2. You will be charged a monthly lease fee for any receivers you add or upgrade instead of paying an additional receiver fee

And the great news is that leasing will offer you a substantial savings compared to the true cost of buying the equipment.

Please check our web site DIRECTV.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

So do you own your replacement? That reply was a ton-o-BS.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

DTV's response:
Thanks for asking about our lease program. Current customers who upgrade or add a DIRECTV receiver after March 1, will lease that equipment from DIRECTV instead of buying it.

In this case, you received a DVR replacement. However, the replacement receiver still falls under our leasing policy.

I would call the access card department as mentioned. The replacement you received for a previously purchased (so to speak) defective unit is not an ADD or UPGRADE. It is a replacement of a defective receiver that you OWNED. You should retain ownership of this unit. Otherwise, if you cancel service in the future, you would be required to retun that unit to D* or pay a fee.

Now, if there are future equipment upgrades and you choose to replace that unit with an upgraded model, you would not get that upgrade for free, like I'm assuming you would for a leased unit. That's where it would cost you for an upgrade, which at that time WOULD be a leased unit.

Don't know if that would come into play, but something to keep in mind, I suppose. If you would likely take advantage of an upgrade later that may be free on leased units, it may be to your advantage to have this unit that you got for free listed as a leased unit. Even more of an advantage, maybe, if you are likely to use this unit until it dies or there is better technology you could take advantage of.

If the chances are that you may want to sell or give away this unit down the road, then I would definitly make sure they list it as "owned" on your account.

If there is a flaw in what I'm saying, someone here will correct it in short order.

Good Luck.

#6 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

The warranty for standard, DVR, and HD receivers is 90 days. The HD-DVR carries a 1 year warranty. Beginning March 1st, any out of warranty equipment replacement is done with leased equipment unless someone specifically asks for the owned offers. A realistic scenario would be that if someone's been with D* since 1998, and their receiver goes kaput, they have the option of getting a leased one for $14.95 S&H (the receiver itself is free) or buying one outright for $149.

What is rather obvious is that D* implemented the lease program to benefit themselves. Sad but true.

#7 OFFLINE   solo1026

solo1026

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

So with HD DVR receivers it is better to lease equipment then buy?

#8 OFFLINE   chachster

chachster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

So do you own your replacement? That reply was a ton-o-BS.

Well, after a few calls to DTV, and finally transferred to the Access Card group, the gentleman checked a few things regarding the replacement order and agreed it should be tagged as owned and made the change for me. Prior to this, I called in and they said it was showing all equipment was 'owned' I had an issue with the replacement receiver (actually just needed two restarts) and the woman I was working with checked on it for me (while waiting on the DVR to restart) and stated she saw it marked as leased and would note the account and after the DVR issue was resolved, transferred to the access card group and had it corrected. If I went with what they originally told me that they were all owned I was given incorrect information.

spam firewall