Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Buying Never Activated HR10-250...Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hperry

hperry

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

I am planning to switch from TWC to Directv. I found a local guy who had purchased a couple HR10-250's from best buy back in November with the expectation that he would use them at his new house. Due to install issues, he can't have directv at his new house and is now selling the units. He says they're both never activated and he has all accessories although he did throw out the boxes. I'll be getting a pretty good deal...

What should I expect from directv as for programming discount if I call them to activate a receiver that was purchased months ago and never activated? I would expect at least the 3 month discount and maybe free install..

Also, is there any way I can prove the units were never activated? Right now, I'm taking the seller's word.

Anything else I should check?

TIA :D

BTW, the SA 8300HD from TWC with SARA O/S is HORRIBLE!!!:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

None of the above.

Since they are already in the Lease program.... You probably won't get any thing, other then maybe a discount on the HD package for a few months.

I highly doubt you will get Free install, since you didn't purchase them through a DirecTV vendor.

Other then calling DirecTV, no other way to check to see if they where ever activated. Unless the Access card is still in it's seal package.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Rickster

Rickster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

I think? there may also be an issue, with them not being activated within 30 days of purchase, penalty

Not sure if they can determine a sale/delivery date by serial #
so be carefull if you mentioned "he bought 3 months ago

#4 OFFLINE   hperry

hperry

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

On the phone with Directv now. They say I would get the intro deals. But, they're saying that you're in a 2 year commitment once you start service no matter where the receiver came from (even if it's craigslist or something). That sounds rediculous...deal killer for me.

I can understand if you got free receivers from them that you would be obligated for a year or two. But if you acquire the receivers from somehwere esle or activate a used receiver, you shouldn't be locked in for 2 years.

#5 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

I can understand if you got free receivers from them that you would be obligated for a year or two. But if you acquire the receivers from somewhere else or activate a used receiver, you shouldn't be locked in for 2 years.

Exactly. It looks like DirecTV is trying to kill the used receiver market (or severly reduce the advantage of owning your own equipment) as well as lock people in for no justified reason (if you own your equipment). The two year obligation is just too long for a lot of people given that FiOS will be in a lot of areas in that timeframe. FiOS (and some cable companies) are going to give DirecTV a real run for their money in the next few years.
Bill R

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

On the phone with Directv now. They say I would get the intro deals. But, they're saying that you're in a 2 year commitment once you start service no matter where the receiver came from (even if it's craigslist or something). That sounds rediculous...deal killer for me.

I can understand if you got free receivers from them that you would be obligated for a year or two. But if you acquire the receivers from somehwere esle or activate a used receiver, you shouldn't be locked in for 2 years.

Rule is rules whether you like them or not. We all have to play by them or with them.:)

#7 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Very interesting points brought up here. why wasnt the initial owner hit with charges? The absolute safest thing to do is get the serial numbers and ask directv. If everything is legit, the guy wont have a problem you doing that and it will tell you what directvs official policy will be.

Another question would be...if there was an unpaid penalty, who pays? the original guy or the guy that buys the boxes from him (transferral of condition?)

spam firewall