Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Caller ID Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:01 PM

Ok folks. Here is one that has me stumped.
A Subscriber has 3 D11 500 receivers. All display the following caller ID Message at the same time.
Incoming call
April 26,2006
No ID

The telephone is not ringing. There is no incoming call. Bellsouth has been out 3 times and so have we. We cannot find a cause. We have replaced the receivers, switch, removed the ground. It stops when we unplug the telephone lines from the receivers. If we leave a receiver connected to the phone lines that receiver displays the message every 5-10 minutes.

Bellsouth continues to blame our receivers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg

#2 OFFLINE   TMullenJr

TMullenJr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:39 PM

Do you have any other Caller ID devices (standalone, or built into phones)? If so, do they do it also? If they do, then obviously, it is not the recievers.

#3 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

Do you have any other Caller ID devices (standalone, or built into phones)? If so, do they do it also? If they do, then obviously, it is not the recievers.

No other caller id's in house.

#4 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

Ok folks. Here is one that has me stumped.
A Subscriber has 3 D11 500 receivers. All display the following caller ID Message at the same time.
Incoming call
April 26,2006
No ID

The telephone is not ringing. There is no incoming call. Bellsouth has been out 3 times and so have we. We cannot find a cause. We have replaced the receivers, switch, removed the ground. It stops when we unplug the telephone lines from the receivers. If we leave a receiver connected to the phone lines that receiver displays the message every 5-10 minutes.

Bellsouth continues to blame our receivers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Greg

If all receivers display that info, you can rule them out. Give it back to BellSouth.

#5 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

I do not have this receiver, however I have seen problems with similar D* ones..
one person found that more than 25 msgs causes the caller I.D. to stop responding...try to esase some msgs if thats the case...others have said that
due to a software bug, an incoming "unknown" nbr or out of area call, can
confuse the software(it don't know how to handle an unknown nbr to display)
If you can attach a stand-alone caller I.D. box, that should tell the tale whose
fault it is.........

#6 OFFLINE   missileman

missileman

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

I do not have this receiver, however I have seen problems with similar D* ones..
one person found that more than 25 msgs causes the caller I.D. to stop responding...try to esase some msgs if thats the case...others have said that
due to a software bug, an incoming "unknown" nbr or out of area call, can
confuse the software(it don't know how to handle an unknown nbr to display)
If you can attach a stand-alone caller I.D. box, that should tell the tale whose
fault it is.........

If the receivers were replaced, wouldn't that rule out that possible source?

#7 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

If the receivers were replaced, wouldn't that rule out that possible source?

-----------------------
Not if the same software was driving the receivers, especially on unknown or
out of area calls..if all receivers show no I.D. from unknown source calls, then
that would be a strong case as bad software routines. Is the caller I.D. not
displaying any data anymore? Also a link to a D* specific site may help your search
for an answer.............
http://forums.direct...oardID=10100104

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

Try DSL filters, see if they make any difference.

Carl

#9 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

I had two of my receivers connected to the phone jack with a phone line splitter and was getting the same errors, and sometimes would get a bunch of yyyyyyyyyyyyy's for the i.d. I removed the splitter and installed a second jack and the problem went away. (By the way, the splitter has been verified to be good.)

Don't know why a simple splitter was causing my problem, but it was.

#10 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

Each receiver has a home run to the demark. The customer does not have DSL. This is the only one in our work area that I am aware of that is experiencing this problem

spam firewall