Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Is Going On With Sportsnet Ny??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dave26262

dave26262

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Does anyone know if D* or E* will carry SNY on its launchdate of 3/16 or the status of ongoing negotiations? I thought Directv would have this done already. thanks, dave.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

http://www.nypost.com/sports/63064.htm

Towards the bottom:

SNY remains very close to a finished deal with Cablevision and several smaller systems. SNY claims it fully expects to be cleared on all of them, at the latest by Opening Day. As for satellite, DirecTV is a lot closer to a done deal than Dish.

#3 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

You can't really go by what is printed in the Post though. They had an article about a month ago saying that D* had reached a deal with SNY. Clearly that was not true.

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

I'm getting nervous here. I'm hoping E* just isn't ceding all of the New York baseball fans to D*. I understand that Steingrabber was being way unreasonable with their demands. I hear that the Mets are asking about $1.60 a subscriber, which is still a $1.60 more than E* had to pay last year. I don't know if MSG/FSNY has to give any money back since they lost the baseball content.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:31 PM

If they're asking for only $1.60 per sub, I can't see what the holdup is (although I'd guess it's that SNY wants to be TC and TC+ within the Mets territory).

Another thing to consider is the very real possibility that Fred Wilpon might buy the Islanders - if that happens it's possible he could buy out their contract with FSNY and put them on SNY, giving them winter programming. In that respect, length of the carriage deal might be a sticking point as well (SNY might want a shorter deal so they can raise prices later, while D* might be aware of that possibility and want to lock them into a longer term deal).

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

The holdup is that Charlie is already probably paying $3-4 for the other two RSNs in New York that are a shadow of their former selves...... (No Nets, Yankees, Mets, and whomever else I am missing)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

The holdup is that Charlie is already probably paying $3-4 for the other two RSNs in New York that are a shadow of their former selves...... (No Nets, Yankees, Mets, and whomever else I am missing)

Check your forum... :)

#8 OFFLINE   Rkw1111

Rkw1111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

If they're asking for only $1.60 per sub, I can't see what the holdup is (although I'd guess it's that SNY wants to be TC and TC+ within the Mets territory).

Another thing to consider is the very real possibility that Fred Wilpon might buy the Islanders - if that happens it's possible he could buy out their contract with FSNY and put them on SNY, giving them winter programming. In that respect, length of the carriage deal might be a sticking point as well (SNY might want a shorter deal so they can raise prices later, while D* might be aware of that possibility and want to lock them into a longer term deal).

Fred Wilpon is NOT planning on buying the Islanders. He is in a dogfight with the owner of the Islanders, Charles Wang (Computer Associates) to see which of the two will win the rights to develop the area around the Isles home, Nassau Coliseum, including rebuilding or refurbishing the arena. The deal has nothing to do with ownership of the Isles, as Wang has no desire to sell, and certainly not to Wilpon.

Furthermore, the Isles are contracted with FoxSports New York/Cablevision for years to come.

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

Check your forum... :)

Apologies...... Clicking on "New Posts" took me here.....

Hey Mods, How about a "New Dish Network Posts" button?

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

Furthermore, the Isles are contracted with FoxSports New York/Cablevision for years to come.

Furthermore the Islanders are probably the least watched professional sports team in the NY area. I don't think they have much pull around here.

#11 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

If you are from Long Island, they are important to you. Otherwise, New Yorkers watch the Rangers, and NJ folks watch the Devils.

If I had to choose though, I'd ditch both FSNY and MSG to get my Mets channel.

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...