Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Selling a receiver on eBay.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

Hey have a Hughes Directv DVR SD120 I think is the model. How would I got about selling this on eBay. I figure I cancel the receiver off my bill first. Then do I give them the access card when I sell it to them. I have seen some people sell the card with the receiver and some sell with out. There are no PPVs owed on the thing, and I own the receiver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rdowdy95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:37 PM

Keep the Access Card.

95% of the time the other user can't activate it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Tonight when I activate the new R15 I got I will tell them to cancel/disable the one I am going to sell on eBay. Anyone else want to chime in. Or has anyone else ever sold a receiver off of eBay.

Thanks,

rdowdy95

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

Keep the Access Card.

Isn't the access card property of D*? If so, it wouldn't be polite to keep it.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,850 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

I would probably hold onto the Hughes for at least a week or two after I got the R15 up and running.

As for the access card, it's kind of csr roulette. Some will activate a used card, but I think the official policy is that you have to get a new card from DirecTV in order to activate a used receier you got from someone else. I think they charge $20 for the card.

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

I've purchased 2 DTivos via eBay with the access card included. DTV activated them without any question. I called, told the CSR I was activating a new DVR I purchased off eBay and they did it. Without the card the buyer will be forced to spend another $20 on an access card they may not otherwise need to spend.

I know others have mentioned the CSRs are not suppose to do this, but it's worked for me 2 outa 2 times. Why keep something you don't need and will never use?

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

As long as there is no outstanding balance on teh access card, I always think they should go with the receivers that people sell....

#8 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

thanks for the info guys. Hey for the above poster you said you purchased two off of eBay. were these used or new?

Also to the other poster. I might just keep the receiver as backup. I am testing out the R15. I won't be using the R15 much just to record some Wiggles and to record stuff that I back up to DVD-R.

R15 is a bed room receiver. We don't watch that much in bedroom. Like I said mainly for Wiggles for the 2 yrd old.

#9 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

thanks for the info guys. Hey for the above poster you said you purchased two off of eBay. were these used or new?

Also to the other poster. I might just keep the receiver as backup. I am testing out the R15. I won't be using the R15 much just to record some Wiggles and to record stuff that I back up to DVD-R.

R15 is a bed room receiver. We don't watch that much in bedroom. Like I said mainly for Wiggles for the 2 yrd old.

Mine were 2 used HDVR2's (40 hour) with access card. Working just fine. But you do need to beware of the eBay deals.

#10 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

As long as there is no outstanding balance on teh access card, I always think they should go with the receivers that people sell....

D* will not allow the buyer to activate an access card that has been active on your account, but will allow you to use the access card in a different receiver on your own account. Keep the access card: it won't help the new owner in any way.

#11 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:02 AM

D* will not allow the buyer to activate an access card that has been active on your account, but will allow you to use the access card in a different receiver on your own account. Keep the access card: it won't help the new owner in any way.

that's what happened to me. I bought an open box HD tivo from bestbuy. The card was still active and I was getting programing but D* said they couldn't active the card becuase it was on someone elses account. (It was weird because she couldn't deactive the card either). So they told me that I needed to by a new card from them. I was upset and asked why I couldn't use the access card out of the old HD reciever, she had to put me on hold. When someone came back to the phone it was a manager and she was able to make my old access card work.

#12 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have bought and sold both new and used DTivos and regular receivers on ebay with no problems at all. I recently added a used SDDVR40 from eBay with the original owners access card onto my account with no problems. The r15 sucks ass big time, so I would keep the Tivo unit just in case you want to go back but if you must sell the Tivo sell it with the card, you'll get more $$ for it and the card CAN be used by the new owner.

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:52 AM

That's the problem.

It is inconsitant... As about a month ago, I gave my boss one of my old DTivos.
He activated, with my access card, that was well over a year old.

"The Rule" is not to activate a previously activated card, but they do it sometimes.

As for the card... yes it is property of DirecTV, and only once in 10 years have they requested I send it back to them (when they thought it was defective). The rest of time you are just told to destroy it.

I miss the "card swap" periods... those where always fun days.....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   rdowdy95

rdowdy95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

That's the problem.

It is inconsitant... As about a month ago, I gave my boss one of my old DTivos.
He activated, with my access card, that was well over a year old.

"The Rule" is not to activate a previously activated card, but they do it sometimes.

As for the card... yes it is property of DirecTV, and only once in 10 years have they requested I send it back to them (when they thought it was defective). The rest of time you are just told to destroy it.

I miss the "card swap" periods... those where always fun days.....

I too remember the card swap days. LOL!!! So if I do sell it on eBay I will just tell the bidder no card, and to make sure and call Directv when they get the receiver so DTV can send them a new card for the $20 fee.

Thanks Earl! Good info as always!

rdowdy95

spam firewall