Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV DVR install horror story

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   The Droid

The Droid

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

I was eagerly awaiting my new R15 (it was SUPPOSED to be a Tivo-based unit from the DVR4ME promotion but that's another story). It was supposed to be brought out/installed on 3/1 but the installer went to the wrong address and for some reason never called us! So it was rescheduled for 3/13, 1 - 5 PM. The tech gets there at 7PM (Which is my daughter's bedtime) but since the wiring is already in place I let him do his this, although I was already had a bad feeling that this guy did not really know what he was doing. So, I show him where the wires all come together in the attic and goes downstairs to do some things. All of a sudden I hear a CRASH! I rush back upstairs and there is the installer HANGING OUT OF MY CEILING in my bedroom!!!! My eyes literally could not believe what they were seeing, these things only happen on sitcoms, right? I was plenty P.O.ed but I had to help him down. He says that he slipped. I can see one foot slipping but his whole body??? What makes this worse is that this is a brand new ceiling (we just had a major house upgrade finished). He say that he knows someone who can fix it. I told HIM that I will have my contractor fix it and send him the bill! I wish they had just sent me the DVR so I could have installed it myself. SHEESH!

I need to call DirecTV to complain about this.

Mike K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

That Stinks!!! You can call D* and complain about this. They have methods in place to refund you for the damages done, but it will require sending in the bill, and other paper work to them. I don't know the address, but when you call them, they will have that for you.

#3 OFFLINE   The Droid

The Droid

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

I wish I had taken a picture, actually. That's somethgin you don't see every day (and hoepfully never again!). Called DirecTV now

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

Most likely you are going to have to deal with the Installer Company...

DirecTV will be able to assist, but it is probably going to between you and the installer company.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

Earl is correct. The install company will be the one to write the check. Stupid mistakes are what makes us as installers look bad in the eye of the customer. It could be worse. I had a technician fall completely through a ceiling onto a glass table. You can imagine the outcome of that adventure

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

Just trying to picture someone falling though the attic floor, insulation and then the ceiling.

#7 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

He says that he slipped.

Mike K

I'm sorry for your loss but the way you worded that had me laughing. Stories like yours reinforce that I did the right thing paying extra for a self install.

I hope your pain goes away soon.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

Just trying to picture someone falling though the attic floor, insulation and then the ceiling.

Picture how it could happen?

Or what it could look like?

Most attics don't have floors (at least modern ones), unless the homeowner specifically added them later (like I did).

My father Attic for example, I have to do the 16" walk accross the joists...

Very Very Very easy to step in the wrong place and go through.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Earl is correct. The install company will be the one to write the check. Stupid mistakes are what makes us as installers look bad in the eye of the customer. It could be worse. I had a technician fall completely through a ceiling onto a glass table. You can imagine the outcome of that adventure

Was the installer ok?

#10 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Stupid mistake, we all make them. As long as the company corrects it, I don't see what the big deal is?

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

I actually feel bad for the installer. Its tough when one of these guys falls off a ladder as well...why was he up there anyway, I thought you mentioned the cabling was all done, all he should have needed to do was hook it up....is there something he needed to get to in the attic?

#12 OFFLINE   GregStanfield

GregStanfield

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

Was the installer ok?

Yea, just a little shook up. You would be suprised how much a table can slow you down before you hit the floor. We did pay for the damages. As it turned out, the tech really had no business in the attic as all leads were outside at an old cable box.
:nono:

spam firewall