Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

multiswitch problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notlocddot

notlocddot

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

I have a 3 LNB dish that only has 2 cables coming out of it hooked up to a "Petra M01-3401P 3 x 4 Multiswitch" (can't link directly to it since I'm a new member; search for it on buy dot com). From that multiswitch I have 2 cables going to a HD Tivo and 1 cable going to a standard receiver. The standard receiver can only see odd transponders while the HD Tivo has no problems. I tried switching the cables and the ports they're connected to with no luck. If I hook the standard receiver up directly to the dish, it works fine.

I assume the problem is the multiswitch, as it was very cheap ($12.99). I'm going to purchase another multiswitch, but want to make sure I'm buying the right one. I only need a 2x4 multiswitch since I only have 2 cables coming out of the 3 LNB dish, correct? If I can only find a 3x8 or 4x8 multiswitch, will it work with just my 2 cables coming from the dish?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

With an HD-TiVo... do you have the HD-Pack on your account?

If so... you really need to get the other two lines to your dish, as with your current setup... you won't be able to see the other two sats.

I would highly recommend getting a 4x8 multiswitch... or simply eliminating the multiswitch by running the extra line to your dish all together.

But from your description, yep certainly sounds like your multiswitch doesn't like the signal it is getting from your SD box... or the HD box's signal is dominating the switch somehow.

What happens if you hook the SD and only the SD to the multiswitch?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

If you really have a Phase III triple LNB dish, you need to connect all four cables to a 4xsomething, or 5xsomething multiswitch.

#4 OFFLINE   notlocddot

notlocddot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

I do have HD on my account and it currently works fine (with or without the multiswitch). If I only hook up the SD receiver to the multiswitch, it still can only see odd transponders.

There's only 2 cables coming out of my triple LNB and there is no way to plug in any other cables. I believe it has some sort of multiswitch built in right below the LNBs. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Ahh.... I got it now...

Here is what is happening:

Your multiswitch is junk (BTW, if it wasn't this wouldn't happen).

Your HR10-250 is asking for one of the channels on the 2nd or 3rd SAT slot.
It does this by sending an electrical current through the lines to the dish.

Your multswitch is letting that request pass through, hence why you are having no problems with your HR10-250.

BUT... when your SD wan'ts to see an ODD 101 transponder, there is no current involved... But since the HR10-250 is pushing a current through the line, the dish doesn't know that another reciever is asking for that other slot...

Bottom line.... You need at least the 3rd line (preferable all 4) from the dish..

Here is why...

With a 3LNB system, there are 4 distinct parts in the SAT signal.
The cable is only able to carry ONE of those signals at a time.

There is a multiswitch in your dish, that knows how to distribute which part of the signal to which cable. It can send the same signal down more then one cable.. that isn't a problem, but it CAN'T send two signals down the same cable.

What a quality multiswitch does... it locks in those 4 signals. So cable A, B, C, D get's part A,B,C,D of the signal, and it is locked in.

Then the external multswitch handles the requests from all the boxes/tuners and routes the correct piece to each of the boxes.

I hope that explains it a bit more.
Bottom line, no matter what multswitch you purchase... you are going to have problems.

Sorry

(FYI... If you "test the signal" and set both recievers to test 101 - transponder 1, you will get a signal on all three tuners, flip the HD to any transponder on either 110 and 119, you should lose the signal on the odd on the SD box)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

Take a real close look at your dish. The LNB section is removed by taking out a few screws. Then you can see the connections that are a part of the assembly that were hidden in the arm and there should be 4. Since you say there are only two cables, there should be two ports open, run two more cables up the feed arm and connect to the LNB assembly and then re-attach the assembly. Run those cables into grounding blocks and then whereever they need to go.

#7 OFFLINE   notlocddot

notlocddot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

seriously. somebody please shoot me. I'm so sorry to waste bandwidth. I was swearing up and down that there was only 2 cables ports. I was even telling my wife "nobody believes me." I just got home from work, told myself "I'll go take photos of it and post it online, that'll show 'em!"

There's 2 open ports - 4 total. :bang

Time to go purchase more cable.

move along, nothing to see here!

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

You are not the first to make that mistake (hence why we where able to respond so fast)

It is a fairly common question.... All is good.

Oh and BTW...

Welcome to the forums.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   sheridan1952

sheridan1952

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

Always happy to help when I can.

#10 OFFLINE   notlocddot

notlocddot

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:15 PM

I forgot to tell everbody "thank you!" Everything is working great now. :)

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Sweet...you know some of the guys here really know what they are talking about...glad you got it working.

;)

spam firewall