Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* customer service phone communication?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tige

Tige

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

Is it just me or are about 50% of the D* customer service people difficult to understand over the phone? I don't know if it is their phone system or what, but this has happened to me quite a bit over the years.

I just called to try and upgrade my service and spend some money. After about 5 minutes of confusion I ended up hanging up the phone. I'm not going to spend money when I can't even hear what the person on the other end of the phone is saying to me. It sounds like they are speaking through the old tin cans linked with string. It's even worse when they have an accent... :nono2:

EDIT: I should also ask if there is a best number to call when simply upgrading service? Maybe it's the location I am calling...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sgt-spam

sgt-spam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

I've made many calls to D* over the last week trying to get the straight scoop on what extends my obligation, what doesn't, what equipment is available, etc., and I have been nothing but frustrated every time I call.

Once I am in contact with a human, however, the call quality is fine. I don't neccessarily hear what I want to hear, but I can hear them OK.

#3 OFFLINE   Tige

Tige

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

Yeah I just called back (at a different number) and got better answers and the person I spoke with I could actually understand. I think it's hit and miss. Like you said, you can ask the same questions 5 times on 5 separate calls and get 5 different answers.

#4 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

E* used to be so good back in the "good old days." It's sad to see not only their customer service, but whole attitude to customers suffer.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#5 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

Is it just me or are about 50% of the D* customer service people difficult to understand over the phone? I don't know if it is their phone system or what, but this has happened to me quite a bit over the years. ...

The problem is both the telephone system and DirecTV's outsourcing to overseas call centers. Their phone system uses a low grade system that uses a very low bit rate that has a very un-natural sound. That, coupled with the CSR's accents, makes it rough to understand.

#6 OFFLINE   narnia777

narnia777

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

I usually wait and call in the middle of the night and talk to tech support which is US based.. they can add/change programming or add/remove a receiver etc.

If I call during the day it's directly to the retention dept which is also US based.

I hate calling outsourced centers.

Jim

#7 OFFLINE   alorarosalyn

alorarosalyn

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

There are only 2 directv call centers that are not in the us. 3 are directv owned, wait 4, and the rest are outsourced.

#8 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:40 AM

There are only 2 directv call centers that are not in the us. 3 are directv owned, wait 4, and the rest are outsourced.

Not correct.
http://media.corpora...rDay2-22-06.pdf
Go to page 9:

Highlights
(YE 2005)

3 DIRECTV Centers
4,200 employees

19 Outsourced Centers
(15 Domestic)
10,500 employees

22 Total Call Centers
14,700 employees

So, there are:
3 DirecTV-owned call centers (4 once Missoula comes online), all in the U.S.
19 outsourced call centers, of which 4 are international.

spam firewall