Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lease

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

:mad:
I have been with Direct TV for several years now. Last week I purchased 2 HD Tivo Receivers for $499.99 from Best Buy to replace 2 old receivers . When I hooked them up I called and had them activated. When I checked my Direct TV account on line my latest activity showed that the 2 receivers were leased. Best Buy told me that the receivers were purchased not leased. I called direct TV and was told that they were leased, and I would have to return them to them or pay the difference of almost $500.00 more for the 2 receivers. I called Direct TV several times and have received several answers 2 Techs said that I purchased them and then they transferred my call to someone else who said they were leased. I asked them why Best Buy never informed me and why they did not tell me before I activated the receivers. They preceded to tell me that they are sorry for that, and they are still in the process of educating their people and retailers. THAT IS NOT MY FAULT. when I called Best Buy again they said I can return the within the 30 days of purchase. But if I do, will Direct TV say I have to return the receivers to them since they have already been activated? Any help would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davefred99

davefred99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

dingdong,
Are you aware that you also are going to get hit with a new two year commitment too!
The only thing you can do is try and talk to the retention department either get them to let you return them and then look for a deal on ebay or something.
I feel your pain as I just went through a similar situation but fortunetly I purchase mine prior to feb 28 and was able to get them to mark them as owne dand waive the 2 year commitment. I know they are recieving a lot of complaints about the new owned/leased model for existing customers. This whole lease program sucks big time and I hope they realize there error soon.

#3 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

But if I return them to the store for a refund will direct TV charge me for not returning them because I did activate them a week ago. I can return them within 30 days but am worried about what direct TV will do.

#4 OFFLINE   davefred99

davefred99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:59 PM

Like I said call the retention department and plead your case. Let them know you are not happy and see where it goes,
Good luck

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

:welcome_s

When I checked my Direct TV account on line my latest activity showed that the 2 receivers were leased.

This is the current policy that began March 1st, 2006.

Best Buy told me that the receivers were purchased not leased.

The fact that you asked suggests you knew better.

I asked them why Best Buy never informed me and why they did not tell me before I activated the receivers. They preceded to tell me that they are sorry for that, and they are still in the process of educating their people and retailers.

The policy started showing up at retailers months ago and was published here http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=50899 on the evening of January 12th 2006. That Best Buy didn't circulate the information on a timely basis may or may not be considered DirecTV's fault depending on whether each store deals direct (I doubt this) or through "corporate". I'd be inclined to hold DirecTV blameless for the misinformation you received from Best Buy.

THAT IS NOT MY FAULT. when I called Best Buy again they said I can return the within the 30 days of purchase. But if I do, will Direct TV say I have to return the receivers to them since they have already been activated?

I kinda doubt that you're going to get much relief from Best Buy even though that is really your only avenue. There is a chance that you might be able to wiggle out from under DirecTV if they can't provide a "signed" lease contract that included the lease terms and conditions. Know that there are legal proceedings ongoing regarding the return of receivers and refunding of the "drive-off".

As I read the dealer letter, the standard "drive-off" fee for an HD10-250 was to be $399 ($299 + $100 new customer advanced receiver rebate). I see that Circuit City is delivering them for $499 each also. Circuit City makes note on their website that there will be a $4.99 monthly lease fee. Best Buy makes no mention of the monthly lease fee. I'd have to say that Best Buy is sticking it to its customers by omission generally and by misinformation locally. Best Buy does make note of the fact that you must activate or return the receiver within 30 days (this is a longstanding D* policy).

#6 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

Wouldn't you think that when you lease something you have to sign an agreement? It used to be when I purchased a receiver from Best Buy they told me up front that if I didn't activate the new receiver within 30 days I would be charged $150.00 by direct TV. That was OK because I was told up front. Neither Best Buy or Direct TV told me anything when I purchased or when I activated it. All of a sudden it showed up on my recent activity page in my account .

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

Directv has publicized that as of March 1st the systems were leased your only fault lies with Best Buy. If you don't want the lease return them to BB and get your money back. Other than that accept the facts. You are not the owner of the HR10-250s but if you have problems with them Directv will service them free because they own them. Directv will upgrade the to the MPEG 4 DVR for minimum expense because they own them. The lease fee replaces the additional receiver fee so it dosen't cost you any more to use the receivers. Your problrm is you spent way too much money for obsolete equipment that won't be fully compatible for much longer. The HR10-250 is only MPEG2 compatible and Directv is ending it's contract with TiVo next Feb.

#8 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

they told me that the machines will still be good. Just because they won't be using Tivo anymore does that really mean my machines won't work? I have 5 of them . 4 Hd
tivos and 1 regular Tivo.

#9 OFFLINE   rmmcneil

rmmcneil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

Unless you're hell bent on sticking with tivo, switch to dish network...

better pricing, more hd channels, and no 2-yr contract!

I'm with directv now, but planning to switch over soon.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

As a follow-up, I sent an e-mail to Best Buy Customer Service and received a response from representative "Darcy" this morning:

I am Darcy with Best Buy Customer Care.

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about the DirecTV HR10-250.

This appears to be an outright purchase, however I would encourage you
to check with Direct TV to be sure. You can contact them directly at
1-800-494-4388.

I called DirecTV and they said that if I bought it at Best Buy and they said it was mine to keep, that it was indeed mine to keep. Everybody pays the fee whether they buy the receiver or not.

Best Buy added "Equipment Lease" to their product description last night.

I would give serious consideration to taking the receivers back and waiting for the MPEG4 DVR. If you've already done that and want TiVo to the exclusion of MPEG4 content, I'd keep the receivers. Either way, you're going to pay that $5.99 lease fee.

The people that should be screaming are those who are obtaining their receivers from DirecTV and Circuit City as they are paying the same price but getting a receiver that isn't their's to keep.

I question the sanity of the people who are running DirecTV for creating such confusion and not coming forth with a definitive statement.

#11 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

I would just return the receivers to Best Buy and wait for the MPEG4 units coming soon.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Directv has publicized that as of March 1st the systems were leased

DirecTV publicized nothing (and still hasn't said a word). That they sent their dealers a letter hardly informs the general public.

You are not the owner of the HR10-250s but if you have problems with them Directv will service them free because they own them.

This may not be true. When I called D*, they said that these receivers may indeed be "owned".

Your problrm is you spent way too much money for obsolete equipment that won't be fully compatible for much longer.

The retail value of the HR10-250 is said to be $799, so how can half of that be a rip-off???

The HR10-250 is only MPEG2 compatible and Directv is ending it's contract with TiVo next Feb.

Can you provide official documentation to this claim? It would provide an important tool in receiver purchasing decision making.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

they told me that the machines will still be good. Just because they won't be using Tivo anymore does that really mean my machines won't work? I have 5 of them . 4 Hd tivos and 1 regular Tivo.

What is the point of having a TiVo with all of its drawbacks and none of its features? I'm not yet convinced that the DirecTiVo units will be rendered a boat anchor in less than a year, but the resale value will be dropping violently once the official end of service date is known.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

On Friday, Best Buy changed their website to indicate that the $499 price was for the lease plan. This doesn't change the fact that DingDong23456 was told he was buying, but it does begin clear up the confusion. Now they need to insure that all of the sales associates have the correct script.

#15 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Where is the signed agreement. Whenever you lease a car it is spelled out in writing, and you sign on the bottom line. After D gets the receivers back are they going to charge another $499.00 to the next lease customer/ Also after a 2 year agreement and the extra charges you probably have paid the full selling price so should be able to keep it.

#16 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

Look at your sales receipt - front and back and see if there's anything regarding a lease. If there is, you've probably got a lease. If not, you probably made a purchase.

If it's the latter, get all your documentation together and go to this URL: http://www.doj.state...s/contact.shtml

File a complaint and go about your business until you get a letter of apology from DTV.

#17 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

Look at your sales receipt - front and back and see if there's anything regarding a lease. If there is, you've probably got a lease. If not, you probably made a purchase.

If it's the latter, get all your documentation together and go to this URL: http://www.doj.state...s/contact.shtml

File a complaint and go about your business until you get a letter of apology from DTV.

When I found out what D did I scoured Best Buys web site and my sales receipts for the 2 receivers, and there is absolutely nothing regarding a lease agreement.
It was not until march 24th that Best buy added something about a lease to there Web site. I made the purchase on line at Best buy on the 8th and picked the receivers up at the store on the 13th.

#18 OFFLINE   dingdong23456

dingdong23456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:42 PM

:) Just thought everyone would like to know that I sent a email to DTV's customer service. I am very happy with their response. I am enclosing a copy of the letter I sent and the letter I received. Thanks for all the help.Subject: Lease

Details: I purchased 2 HR10-250 receivers on line at BestBuy.com. I picked them up at the Best buy Store in Clackamas Or. When I ordered them on line there was nothing anywhere saying that said that I was leasing these receivers. Also when I picked them up in the store there was nothing said about a lease? The 2 receivers were to replace 2 old receivers
So when I called you to deactivate my old receivers and activate the 2 new receivers you did not tell me that they were leased and that I would have to return them to you when I was done with them. I have yet to sign any agreement with you about this. When I signed into my account on Direct TV, there in my recent activity I discovered that you added them in as leased. I called your people several times, and they have given me different answers each time. Some say that I own the equipment and they will change it but send me to someone else and they say I am leasing. And then your people apologize and say we haven't educated our people and retailers yet. THIS IS YOUR FAULT, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE IN SUCH A HURRY YOU NEGLECTED TO TRAIN YOUR OWN PEOPLE AND THE RETAILERS ABOUT YOUR NEW POLICIES. I called Best buy and talked to Terry, and he said they SOLD them to me and that I OWN the receivers and that they were not leased. Terry proceeded to tell me that I could return them within the 30 days.

On Friday, Best Buy changed their website to indicate that the $499 price was for the lease plan. This is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU SHOULD NEVER ACTIVATE A RECEIVER WITHOUT INFORMING THE CUSTOMER THAT THE RECEIVERS THAT SHE HAD JUST BOUGHT AND PAID FOR IN GOOD FAITH ARE IN FACT GOING TO BE LEASED. ALL LEASE AGREEMENTS SHOULD BE SIGNED.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD MAKE IT RIGHT.

Thanks
Linda

Dear Ms. Hendrickson,

Thanks for writing, I sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding the purchase of your receivers. I have changed the status of your recently acquired receivers to "owned." However, please be aware that after March 1, all of our DIRECTV equipment offers are for leased equipment only. Equipment costs, particularly for advanced products such as HD and/or DVR receivers, can be sizable and we believe leasing provides our customers a better, more affordable, alternative.

Visit our web site at http://www.directv.c...urrentoffer.jsp to see all the offers we have available today.

If you decide you want to own your DIRECTV System instead of leasing directly from us, select retailers may offer this option. Your best bet is to check with individual retailers. To find one nearest you, please visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/retailers and enter your zip code in the lookup field. Please note that not all of these retailers may offer a purchase option.

Thanks again for writing and we look forward to serving you soon as a DIRECTV customer.

Sincerely,

Brandon
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------

#19 OFFLINE   davefred99

davefred99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Glad it worked out ok for you, but they really have nothing to loose since they got you hooked with a 2 year new commitment and in two years the HD Dtivo's will be obsolete anyways.

#20 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

Glad it worked out ok for you, but they really have nothing to loose since they got you hooked with a 2 year new commitment and in two years the HD Dtivo's will be obsolete anyways.

Two years, that just might be the time frame when it happens. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...