Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV sues Lifetime over Dishnetwork contract

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

Apparently E*'s 12 million customers were enough to make Lifetime execs forget any business ethics they might have had. Of course, D* doesn't come off too good on that score either. I'm just pissed no one offered me a bribe.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jericho

jericho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

What is Total Choice Select? I don't see that anywhere on Direct TV's website.

#23 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

They used to have a package called Select Choice, which was a cheaper tier than Total Choice. They have since gotten rid of it. Their top package is Total Choice Premier or something like that.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#24 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

So is Lifetime going to make a movie about this ordeal? If they do, I sure won't watch it. Subscribe to DishNetwork... Don't watch Lifetime... Never watched lifetime.... Never will watch lifetime... They all need to just shut up and make me a sandwich, bring it to me along with my beer and the remote so I can switch to ESPNHD and watch me a game!!!!

#25 OFFLINE   midwave

midwave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

and don't forget the al-carte channels of the wb and upn that D refuses
to carry

that is the #1 reason I haven't switched to DirecTV...we have a local 'digital-only on cable' WB affiliate, but Dish doesn't carry it, so I subscribe to WB-11 NYC.
In fact, the only network with local ties I regularly watch is the WB, soon to be the CW.
Smallville, Charmed, the Friday-night comedies are what I watch.
:grin:
Beyond that, I watch NBC's Arena Football games, but use a Terk-brand amplified antenna on my Dish to receive that...oddly enough, its a station around 75 miles away, but comes in better than the local NBC (who happens to also operate that local digital-only WB station)

#26 OFFLINE   midnight75

midnight75

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:20 AM

I wonder if we can now expect to see Lifetime bashing DirecTV on their website like they did with Dish Network. :rolleyes:
'It's time to play the feud!'
Richard Dawson

#27 OFFLINE   Digital Madman

Digital Madman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

Lifetime just cant get enough of that dirty laundry! :D

#28 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

Lifetime...jeesh. I remove that channel from the "channels I receive" as soon as I get a receiver.

DirecTV is targeting Lifetime to snag new subs? I wonder what the demographic really is for the average Lifetime viewer...
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#29 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

It does not have to be a smaller company. Such clauses are common and occasionally lead to disputes about which deal is "better."

FWIW our federal government usually insists on getting the most favorable prices when it buys commercial items.

Thats why the Pentagon buys hammers for 100 dollars a piece!rolling !rolling

#30 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

I wonder how DTV found out the pricing that Dish received. I wouldn't think this is public info. What is the best price today may not be the best price tomorrow. It is a little like buying the latest receiver today at a lowest price of the year sale and then a month later your neighbor buys the same receiver for less. Welcome to the free market system.

..Doyle

D* was forced to carry lifetime real women, E* wasnt..thus E* is paying lifetime less money

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

E* is paying less for less content and D* is paying more for more content?
And this is unfair? D* agreed to the deal - they should be held to their terms!

#32 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

Can echostar sue both lifetime and direct tv for using a bribe to lure customer away from echostar???

Anybody can sue anybody. We could all sue all of them for causing interruption of our Lifetime programing! For being obnoxious in general. For not having customer service reps that can speak clear English!
Mental anguish? How about not ever being able to be sure a 921 was going to record our favorite show? Or even let us watch it?

#33 OFFLINE   Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

I don't understand why D* has to pay stations to carry their content. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I would just tell them to keep there programing and put them out of business.

#34 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:33 AM

that is the #1 reason I haven't switched to DirecTV...we have a local 'digital-only on cable' WB affiliate, but Dish doesn't carry it, so I subscribe to WB-11 NYC.
In fact, the only network with local ties I regularly watch is the WB, soon to be the CW.
Smallville, Charmed, the Friday-night comedies are what I watch.
:grin:
Beyond that, I watch NBC's Arena Football games, but use a Terk-brand amplified antenna on my Dish to receive that...oddly enough, its a station around 75 miles away, but comes in better than the local NBC (who happens to also operate that local digital-only WB station)

Let me guess...you are in the Youngstown DMA? I can pick up WFMJ-TV OTA on my 921 here in the Cleveland antenna farm with an indoor antenna. DT is intermittant on the indoor, but I bet once the weather breaks and I put up an outdoor antenna I'll be watching that WB/CW "digital only" station here (as well as WKBN's digital feed of CBS-HD and SD FOX from WYFX). Digital OTA is the way to go, you get subchannels that the DBS providers do not carry.

BTW which NBC are you watching that is 75 miles away? Pittsburgh or Wheeling?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#35 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

E* is paying less for less content and D* is paying more for more content?
And this is unfair? D* agreed to the deal - they should be held to their terms!

Yes Because D* was forced to carry some useless channel that e* wasnt

#36 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

I don't understand why D* has to pay stations to carry their content. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I would just tell them to keep there programing and put them out of business.

I've been saying this for years. Its totally backward. Why should cable and satellite company's pay the channels to have their channels on their systems when those cable and satellite company's are providing a way for the channels to be seen on their services???? The channels should be paying the service providers for providing a way to distribute their channels to customers over their services. :rolleyes:

*Gosh, did that make any sense?* :D

#37 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

I've been saying this for years. Its totally backward. Why should cable and satellite company's pay the channels to have their channels on their systems when those cable and satellite company's are providing a way for the channels to be seen on their services???? The channels should be paying the service providers for providing a way to distribute their channels to customers over their services. :rolleyes:

*Gosh, did that make any sense?* :D

Actually it doesn't make sense! When there was only one cable company to choose from it may of made sense, but with a choice of at least three services and in some areas now four, not having a channel could hurt the one carrier that doesn't have it. Thus the deals to carry channels. In the long run each carrier has to decide what will hurt their business if they don't carry something, and what will hurt their business if they don't. So Lifetime, believing their product will be wanted by subscribers tries to get as much as possible to have it carried thinking if the deal is not made, the carrier will loose enough subscribers or not gain as many new subscribers and they will cave. Luckily, Dish calls those bluffs to kind of even the playing field.

#38 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

Come on, who *really* watches Lifetime. I'd pay $.50 more a month NOT to have it :).

#39 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Come on, who *really* watches Lifetime. I'd pay $.50 more a month NOT to have it :).

... says all the MEN in this board. Are there any women around here? What do they think about this?

#40 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

... says all the MEN in this board. Are there any women around here? What do they think about this?

You could be right. But, most of the women I know don't really care for it either. Some - yes. Most - not so much.

But I'll let others answer for themselves.

spam firewall