Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Channel Additions - Question on timing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrblond128

mrblond128

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'm a new DirecTV subscriber in the Cleveland market. I'm getting nervous that D* won't carry the Cleveland Indians' new station Sports Time Ohio (STO). Word is that the Indians are asking for a huge price increase and D* is not giving in. As much as I like the NFL Ticket, I'm willing to break my contract and switch to cable to get access to this channel.

If D* does not add STO by opening day, is it a lost cause for the entire season, or is there hope they could add the channel mid-season? With all the regional sports channels popping up I'm hoping people in other markets have examples they could share.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

For YES, D* had it at launch. For CSN West, I think it was about a week into the basketball season when they picked it up. For MASN it was a few weeks into the baseball season as well. Not sure about the timing realitve to the start of any specific sports season on CSN Chicago, D* picked it up a few weeks after it launched though.

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Usually when sports are concerned they will pick up a channel quick as KyL416 stated the only 2 instances I can remember of that NOT happening was with the failed Victory Sports Network that the Twins tried (Eventually rights went back to FSN North and D* resumed airing from there) and I believe there was some delay in getting the Royals once they created RSTN. I think it was a few weeks before FSN Midwest and the Royals came to some agreement then the sat channels had to agree a pricing restructure or something.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

I checked my program guide today, and I see on channel 657 "STO Programming Block." Then on April 9 at 1:00 p.m., there is a "Indians at Twins" game listed on that same channel, and nothing on the FSN Midwest (the Twins home network) at that time. I think 657 must be Sports Time Ohio. :)

I see that Dish Network finalized their deal with STO this week, so maybe D* is about to do the same.

I live in the Philly market and am a huge Indians fan. If you live in Ohio, won't D* have to black out the home broadcasts on STO even if they do pick it up?

#5 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

I checked my program guide today, and I see on channel 657 "STO Programming Block." Then on April 9 at 1:00 p.m., there is a "Indians at Twins" game listed on that same channel, and nothing on the FSN Midwest (the Twins home network) at that time. I think 657 must be Sports Time Ohio. :)

I see that Dish Network finalized their deal with STO this week, so maybe D* is about to do the same.

I live in the Philly market and am a huge Indians fan. If you live in Ohio, won't D* have to black out the home broadcasts on STO even if they do pick it up?

Other way around - if you're in the Indians home market, you get the games on STO. If you're outside the Indians home market, the games are blacked out on STO.

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

Okay, I was thinking of the D* MLB package vs. the D* Sports Pack. For me, being out of the Clev. region, I have to get the MLB package to get the games, while someone in the region just has to get the Sports Pack if D* signs on with STO.

I'm still hoping that D* picks up STO so that more Indians games will be added to the D* MLB schedule. Odds of getting a game on their schedule are much greater if they have contracts with both the home and away teams' broadcasters.

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

People who live in Indians territory will most likely need only Total Choice to recieve STO. You will only need Sports Pack if you live in one of those areas that is on the outer edges of Indians territory and only can get their games with sports pack. Similar to how North Eastern, PA needs the Sports Pack for the Pirates and Penguins, but they can get FSN New York, YES, MSG, and possibly SNY if they only have Total Choice

Protected By... spam firewall...And...