Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FEATURE REQUEST: aspect ratio

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I'd like to see an automatic aspect ratio setting in the 622.

Right now I am using 16x9 in Normal stretch mode for the HD channels and 16x9 Partial Zoom for the SD channels. Honestly, the SD channels look better when the aspect ratio is set to 4x3#2 and my Sony 57" RPTV does the screen stretching itself. I lose less screen real estate this way, but then the HD channels are screwed up.

The 622 should allow you to set the default aspect ratio and resolution for all HD channels and separately set the same for SD channels. When switching from SD to HD channels the 622 would automatically switch as needed.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

Isn't that normal behavior?

#3 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Isn't that normal behavior?

Not on my system. If I set it to 4x3#2 and then go to an HD channel, I get the black bars.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

It doesn't look like 4x3#2 allows you to pick a format on SD channels.
But if I go to a HD channel and pick a format (with the * "format" button) it's used for all HD channels (and I get forced full screen 4x3 on the SD channels).

So it is remembering the aspect ratio separately for HD or SD.

It is more pronounced on the 16x9 setting (since aspect can be changed on both). I've just set my SD to stretch and my HD to gray bar and it's following nicely.

Once you are on a HD channel use the format button to get rid of the black bars. With 4x3#2 set you will get forced full screen on SD channels and whatever the last 'format' setting you used on HD channels.

#5 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

It doesn't look like 4x3#2 allows you to pick a format on SD channels.
But if I go to a HD channel and pick a format (with the * "format" button) it's used for all HD channels (and I get forced full screen 4x3 on the SD channels).

So it is remembering the aspect ratio separately for HD or SD.

It is more pronounced on the 16x9 setting (since aspect can be changed on both). I've just set my SD to stretch and my HD to gray bar and it's following nicely.

Once you are on a HD channel use the format button to get rid of the black bars. With 4x3#2 set you will get forced full screen on SD channels and whatever the last 'format' setting you used on HD channels.

4x3#2 forces the format to Normal, which is OK if I have the TV Type set to 480i or 480p. In this mode I can allow the TV to stretch the screen using Sony's Wide Zoom setting. If I have the TV Type set to 1080i then my Sony TV gets locked into Full mode and I can no longer set the stretch modes via the TV's controls.

If I leave the TV in anything other than 1080i, then the HD channels get stretched via the TV's controls, which I don't want.

In short, here's what I want to do versus what the VIP-622 forces me to do:

I want to:

view all SD channels with the TV Type set to 480i or 480p (whichever looks better to me) and the Aspect set to 4x3#2. Then set my TV to use its Wide Zoom mode.

view all HD channels with the TV Type set to 1080p and the Aspect set to 16x9. Then my TV is locked into Full mode which is OK because the HD content looks perfect.

The 622 needs to remember and automatically switch: TV Type, Aspect, and Format for whatever I am viewing at the time (HD or SD).

The VIP-622 forces me to:

Set the TV Type to 1080i for ALL channels (SD & HD) because I want the best HD picture.

Stretch the screen via the 622's Format button to Partial Zoom for SD channels; otherwise, the screen looks distorted or has black/grey bars (which I hate).

Leave the Format to Normal for HD channels (which is fine.)

Did I clear this up or make it more confusing? I want two presets on the 622 that will remember the TV Type, Aspect, and Format. One for SD and one for HD. As it stands now, I have to make a compromise or constantly switch settings via the menus which is way to tedious.

There's still the bug here that makes the 622 reboot about 50% of the time that I switch the Aspect from 16x9 to 4x3#2 and back.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hopefully any 'reboot bug' can be wiped out. Thanks for explaining your request better - at first I assume the programmers would have said the same thing I said "the 622 already does that". But now I see where you are going: Separate settings for SD and HD content on the HDTV Setup screen.

#7 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:40 AM

I believe the best setup for the 622 is the same I used for the 942 and that's using both the digital and composite inputs to the tv and just switching inputs on the tv for HD & SD. It's a lot easier than changing things within the menu of the 622 everytime you want to switch and this way you can leave the 622 set to 1080i & 16:9. At least this is the best way on my HDTV.
A Moral Wrong Is Not A Civil Right:flag:

#8 OFFLINE   Codeman00

Codeman00

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:28 AM

The 811 had separate settings for the HD and SD and I was shocked to find out that they had done away with this feature on the 622. It caused me a couple of problems. I try to fill the screen when watching an SD program because its better in the TV. I prefer the way my Hitachi stretches the sides of the picture and leaves the center at the correct aspect ratio...with the 622, all I can use is 16:9 zoom which I don't like at all. The other thing is that I had my 811 SD outputs hooked up to my Pioneer DVD burner and with the 811, it worked nice because the SD outputs were 4:3. Well, now I dont have a choice on the TV1 output aspect ratio, so if its an HD program, it records fine...but if it's SD, Its all distorted and I don't want to record it that way. To fix this, I hooked the DVD recorder up to TV2 and it works fine (always 4:3) except that now I cant record directly to the hard drive on the DVD burner if I'm not home because I can't find out how to kick the Dish screen saver off. If I'm home, its not a big deal, but now I have record to the 622 hard drive then to the DVD hard drive, then on to DVD. If I could get rid of the screen saver, I would at least be somewhat happy.

#9 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hopefully any 'reboot bug' can be wiped out. Thanks for explaining your request better - at first I assume the programmers would have said the same thing I said "the 622 already does that". But now I see where you are going: Separate settings for SD and HD content on the HDTV Setup screen.

At first you had me thinking I was missing something, James. :)

I went back and checked it all again and I think I was clear in my second explanation. It's very frustrating not to have full control over the 622's output. I don't think it would be so hard for them to incorporate a setup screen that has the user's default settings for HD and SD.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#10 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

I believe the best setup for the 622 is the same I used for the 942 and that's using both the digital and composite inputs to the tv and just switching inputs on the tv for HD & SD. It's a lot easier than changing things within the menu of the 622 everytime you want to switch and this way you can leave the 622 set to 1080i & 16:9. At least this is the best way on my HDTV.

But, if you had a setup screen as I described, the 622 would switch on-the-fly and you wouldn't have to do anything except flip channels.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#11 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

The 811 had separate settings for the HD and SD and I was shocked to find out that they had done away with this feature on the 622. It caused me a couple of problems. I try to fill the screen when watching an SD program because its better in the TV. I prefer the way my Hitachi stretches the sides of the picture and leaves the center at the correct aspect ratio...with the 622, all I can use is 16:9 zoom which I don't like at all. The other thing is that I had my 811 SD outputs hooked up to my Pioneer DVD burner and with the 811, it worked nice because the SD outputs were 4:3. Well, now I dont have a choice on the TV1 output aspect ratio, so if its an HD program, it records fine...but if it's SD, Its all distorted and I don't want to record it that way. To fix this, I hooked the DVD recorder up to TV2 and it works fine (always 4:3) except that now I cant record directly to the hard drive on the DVD burner if I'm not home because I can't find out how to kick the Dish screen saver off. If I'm home, its not a big deal, but now I have record to the 622 hard drive then to the DVD hard drive, then on to DVD. If I could get rid of the screen saver, I would at least be somewhat happy.

I send my output to the computer via my Sony Digital camcorder (to do the DtoA conversion). S-video from the 622 to the Sony and firewire from there to the computer. The frustrating bit is that I have to change the aspect ratio to 4x3#2 every time I want to do this. I don't want 4x3#2 all the time because it screws up the HD channels. 50% of the time I switch from 16x9 to 4x3#2 the 622 reboots!

As I described earlier, I also prefer my Sony RPTV's stretch modes to that of the 622s.

It seems they dropped quite a few things from older models. See my other posts for comparisons to the beloved 721.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#12 OFFLINE   DGEXPRESS

DGEXPRESS

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:32 AM

I have a 40" Sony and want to go with the 622, but Iam concerned that with the better quality of picture, I will lose quanity of screen . Will the 622 allow hd in full screen 4x3 or will i have to lose screen size? I bought the bigger TV so I could see a bigger picture. Any advice?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Yes - the 622 will put out 1080i or 720p (as well as 480i and 480p) in 4x3 aspects.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...